Building muscle

Options
Deanne
Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
edited February 2015 in Health and wellbeing
Hi Everyone,
As some of you know I am currently training for a Charity Challenge and as part of this I am spending more time exercising and trying to build muscle. I have had assistance from a physio as to how to do this progressively without straining or hurting myself.

As the Challenge involves walking up very steep inclines I have spent the majority of my time doing just that. particularly going up and down steep steps. I have also been working on my core and upper body.

As a consequence of this extra strength training I have noticed that many of my aches and pains have vanished. I honestly thought that they were just an unavoidable side effect of being on tamoxifen and also being pushed into early menopause by chemo.

I am also increasing my stretching routine to ensure I don't get sore and between this and the extra muscle I am no longer stiff after sitting or first thing in the morning. The dizziness that I had experienced has also pretty much gone.

Of course, while I do get tired from all the training I actually feel more energetic than I have in years, most days. I thought that I was exercising a fair bit before but I was not really doing the muscle work, just walking and swimming with a bit of Pilates and yoga. I just thought I would post about this because it has quite amazed me what a difference it has made to my everyday life.

Hope everyone is keeping well. Take care. Deanne xxx

Comments

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have been keeping up with your blog, and your training regimen is impressive!  It is interesting to read that the new muscle strength has made such a difference to everyday life - if it hadn't there would be no justice! - all that work!

It must help that you have such beautiful places to walk/train plus a training companion and real motivation with the challenge that lies ahead.

You are truly admirable and a really good example for setting the bar high.  Will be following your adventure and feel sure you will blitz it.  Keep posting!  Well done and big hug.  xxx  Michelle

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I always am very achy when I rise and when I've been sitting for a long time. I have aching muscles most of the time even though I walk most days, including hills. I too have put it down to just how my poor body is after two bouts of chemo in 18 mths. In fact (please don't take this the wrong way), but when I see people post about how they feel better than before cancer I often think "what's wrong with me?" I am in no way offended and think it's great people are feeling great but often wonder why I'm not! However on reading this maybe I need to do more :).
    You have got me inspired. I am off for a bit of day surgery tomorrow, but once I'm recovered... Watch this space ;)
    Keep up the great work Deanne :)
    Paula xxxx
  • Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There are so many variables for each of us and I also used to think that for me the idea of feeling truly better than before was just not possible. But I have heard a lot lately (my ears pick up anything about muscle building/weight training at the moment) about the benefits of muscle building in 'older' people. I am 49 but think that chemo etc has probably bumped me up a few years especially fast forwarding me into menopause.

I certainly have not turned into a muscle builder but I can do more 'push ups' etc than before and my lower back and hip area which has given me trouble for a few years (before BC) is completely pain free. I am extremely careful with my posture thanks to a fanatical physio but think that it is the muscle support for my joints and spine that is making the difference. I think having more muscle can help to keep the lymphatic system functioning better and maybe this is why I am not waking up all fluidy and stiff in my joints. The only thing it has not fixed is the arthritis in my big toe joint!

Hope your day surgery goes well. :) Deanne xxx
  • mum2jj
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think you are amazing. BTW had my measures done today and all measurements down!!!
    Very happy with that.
    My hips and back give me trouble too, not to mention my knee!!! Like an old lady I am ;)
    The knee probably needs an op one day, but in no rush.
    Keep up the good work.
    Paula x
  • Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I feel very fortunate to be in the position I am for so many reasons. I just cannot believe the support that my husband and I are receiving as we move towards achieving our goal. We will come back different people with a new perspective on life and that will be another reason to feel very lucky. We are only too aware that for many people a diagnosis of cancer has catastrophic consequences. It is our friends in that position that we will think of everyday as we prepare and it is those friends who are really achieving this along side us.
    Deanne xxx
  • Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Great news about your measurements! Good luck today! Xxx
  • mum2jj
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks.
    Paula :)