Losing My Hair

2»

Comments

• Gillian2069
    Gillian2069 Member Posts: 46
    edited March 2015

Yes, I also decided to be proactive about hair loss and got my hair cut short before the first chemo. I washed all the scarves in my drawer and bought a couple of 'sleeping caps'. And some dupattas from an Indian clothing website. I've got quite a wardrobe of headwrap choices!

My hair started going about two weeks after the first chemo, and I started wearing the sleeping cap so my bed wasn't full of hair.

Now, I tie scarves in all kinds of ways - Simple wraps, Israeli tichels, and I'm working on a Nigerian gele (very big!) for a 60th birthday celebration coming up.

Still, I feel a bit sad about my poor bald head. In the shower each day, I give it a rub and say 'my poor head'. It's enough for me to name the feeling, then it has a place, walking beside me on this journey. We're good friends, my poor head and me. Like the queasiness, the insomnia, tiredness, etc - all  my companions on this journey.

Sending love and courage to everyone on the path.

Gillian

• rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    edited March 2015

The joys of chemo, I started to lose my hair after first chemo my husband used to follow me and pick up the hair. By the time I got to second chemo it was falling out in clumps so I went to the hairdresser and had it all cut off. Cried of course, very confronting. I wore a wig for work but home I wore a hat or scarf I felt more comfortable. A couple of days after having my hair cut off my head got infected, red and very painful.

This all happened last year and my hair has grown back at first it was salt and pepper grey so I coloured it blond, as it has grown it is really curly and thick.

I have changed my colour and much happier with new colour

It is a long trip and losing your hair is just another thing to deal with.

• Deb P
    Deb P Member Posts: 40
    edited March 2015

I felt better being in control. I shaved my head.... it happened to be around the Leukemia shave for a cure time. Raised $1400 for a good cause. Over a wine & cheese afternoon...everyone got to wield the scissors, I had track marks & a  rats tail. All in a bit of fun. It helped me get through the loss of my locks. Made money on something inevitable. I also wrote a children's book called Eric the Echidna Has Lost His Spikes. I have sold 1800 copies & donated $3000 to Breast Cancer Support. You lovely locks will grow back. Take care x

• cassieoz
    cassieoz Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2015

I usually have shortish, curly, dark grey and silver hair but, like a lot of ladies here, I buzzed it off before it fell out.  I thought that at least the bits on the floor and in the shower plug would be short.  I lost all but the finest white (sparse) fuzz.  I'm 6 weeks post chemo now (6 lots of FEC-D) and it is trying so hard to regrow.  There's a bit more silver fuzz and some dark grey breaking through but none of it would be more than 4mm long and there are still bald spots in between.  I know it'll get there but that means the leg, pit and undercarriage hair will be back too and I could wish them gone forever, lol.  

I went to the local Heads Up shop and bought some soft teeshirt fabric caps in several different colours.  My sister added to my scarf collection and I knitted a beanie for cold days.  I didn't invest in a wig, they're not my thing.