Young women group

Options
Reeta K
Reeta K Member Posts: 7
edited January 2015 in General discussion

Inviting all women diagnosed with breast cancer  for online support and chats.

I am from sydney was diagnosed in oct 2014 and had lumpectomy and now having AC followed by Taxol etc. 

Anyone having similar treatments? would love to hear. I feel so lonely, lost and confused and sometimes feel like quiting the chemo. Please help.

Reeta  

Comments

• rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hang in there I finished my chemo in June last year, it does seem to go on forever but it does end. It is a hard road and very hard to see the end, one foot in front of the other and one day at a time thats what I did.

Try and find a support group in your area talking to others sometimes helps and seeing others that have been through it helped me.

Take care of yourself the fatigue from chemo was terrible, I used to fall aslleep alot when I sat down .

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What you are feeling is 'normal' for us. I used to read a lot but found that being diagnosed and going through treatment was so unsettling that my mind could not concentrate on anything for long.

I had some DVD's of various TV shows and spent time watching them but even though they were only 30 minute episodes I would need to watch them more than once to actually take any of it in! I found doing Sudoku on my iPad was something I could do but again would loose concentration easily. I think this is perfectly understandable considering the serious nature of our diagnosis and treatment.

I found going for a walk helped to lift my mood. I think it is harder for young women like yourself to find a support group. I know in my area, the average age of the lovely ladies is close to 70. They are lovely but just do not have the same issues as younger women. I found that there were more younger people on here and I could find out how other people coped with things. There is almost always someone to listen and try to help you on here. People understand how you are feeling and don't mind if you share the hard times you are going through. Most of us have been there too.

You have probably noticed that for every down time there is usually a better time around the corner. If you find yourself feeling terrible for too long though, sometimes it helps to get some counseling type support. You can speak to counsellors on the phone through the cancer council or your GP maybe able to help. This is a really tough time and lots of us need a bit of help to get through it. xxx
  • JT82
    JT82 Member Posts: 30
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi, my name is Jane. I'm 32, and was diagnosed just before Christmas. I have had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy, and will be starting chemo soon. This will be followed by radiation, Herceptin and tamoxifen . Feels like a very long journey and I haven't really begun yet! I'm so scared, but I know I have to do this. Please feel free to message me anytime if you want to chat!
  • JT82
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi, my name is Jane. I'm 32, and was diagnosed just before Christmas. I have had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy, and will be starting chemo soon. This will be followed by radiation, Herceptin and tamoxifen . Feels like a very long journey and I haven't really begun yet! I'm so scared, but I know I have to do this. Please feel free to message me anytime if you want to chat!
  • JT82
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I run a bc support group in the Hills area(north west Sydney).We have women of all ages in our group- from 36 to 80.Our group is called Kellyville Breast Buddies and we are registered with BCNA. Blog back here if you'd like join us.Tonya xx
  • TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I run a bc support group in the Hills area(north west Sydney).We have women of all ages in our group- from 36 to 80.Our group is called Kellyville Breast Buddies and we are registered with BCNA. Blog back here if you'd like join us.Tonya xx
  • Reeta K
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jane,

when is ur chemo starting? I had my 3 AC treatments. I know it's  scary in the beginning as  there is lot of uncertainty. Also u  don't know what side effects u will hv from chemo. i do experience nausea,  constipation for first week but u may not hv any of those as everyone  reacts differently to treatment. Also they gv u lot of info before chemo. I went for chemo education and it really helped me to understand what sort of side effects to expect.

Your journey started when u were told u hv bc. after surgery u hv taken one step towards recovery.

• Reeta K
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Tonya.  I would be interested in joining the kellyville group. Can u pls accept me in ur group.

Cheers reeta

• TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have sent you a private message- happy to have you join our group.xx
  • TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have sent you a private message- happy to have you join our group.xx
  • Liggyw
    Liggyw Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Reeta. thought I would touch base with you again to see how you are travelling. If I remember rightly our chemo cycles were very similar.  Just thought I would write to say hi and thinking of you.  Leigh

• Liggyw
    Liggyw Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Reeta. thought I would touch base with you again to see how you are travelling. If I remember rightly our chemo cycles were very similar.  Just thought I would write to say hi and thinking of you.  Leigh