Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

overseas travel

Options
Vicki White
Vicki White Member Posts: 26
edited September 2016 in Metastatic breast cancer

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me which insurance company covers travelling to the UK with ABC with bones mets.

I am still on Herceptin every three weeks but other than that i'm well and the bones bug is only in two spots and not grown for two years, so with that surely i shouldn't have any troubles getting insurance.

Vicki

Comments

• rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm travelling in June and have looked at covermore insurance they state bc is covered. I haven't read to much. I was told you have to declare that you have bc. hope this helps I need to look closerxx

• Julia44
    Julia44 Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi, I used cover more I had to pay extra as I had nodes positive,,I think around $160 more. If u ring them they have a list of questions that relate to BC to work out your cover.
  • Vicki White
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks everyone, and it seems Covermore is the likely choice, even though im stable it's a just in case cover.

I will let you know the outcome.

Enjoy your day ;-)

• Danielle_BCNA
    Danielle_BCNA Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2015
    Options

hi Vicki,
    it can be tricky to get travel insurance that covers pre-exisiting conditions. You may find our fact sheet helpful.
    http://www.bcna.org.au/sites/default/files/bcna-fact_sheet-travel-insurance-for-women-with-secondary-breast-cancer.pdf
    Also worth being aware that our goverment has reciprocal health care agreements with some countries (inclduing the UK) that means part of the cost of essential medical treament can be covered  for Australian residents visting these countries. Under these agreements some health services and subsidised medicines are provided to vistors if needed.
    Have a look at the info on the link below. There is an enquiry line listed if you want more details.
    http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/medicare/reciprocal-health-care-agreements/participating-rhca-countries#a13
    Best wishes for a great holiday
    regards
    Danielle

• Danielle_BCNA
    Danielle_BCNA Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2015
    Options

hi Vicki,
    it can be tricky to get travel insurance that covers pre-exisiting conditions. You may find our fact sheet helpful.
    http://www.bcna.org.au/sites/default/files/bcna-fact_sheet-travel-insurance-for-women-with-secondary-breast-cancer.pdf
    Also worth being aware that our goverment has reciprocal health care agreements with some countries (inclduing the UK) that means part of the cost of essential medical treament can be covered  for Australian residents visting these countries. Under these agreements some health services and subsidised medicines are provided to vistors if needed.
    Have a look at the info on the link below. There is an enquiry line listed if you want more details.
    http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/medicare/reciprocal-health-care-agreements/participating-rhca-countries#a13
    Best wishes for a great holiday
    regards
    Danielle

• jennywren
    jennywren Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Vicki, I will be interested to hear how you go with covermore as I have been trying to get insurance to go on a cruise but because my cancer returned less than 6 months ago no one will give me cover for cancellation costs or medical costs. It is early days I know since it came back and I was diagnosed as stage 4 but my scans showed that in 2 months the tumours had shrunk by between 30 -40% and I am hoping for this to continue.
    It has spread to other lymph nodes in my chest but not to any other organs but because it is still classed as metastatic no one wants to know!

I never had trouble getting insurance after my EBC diagnosis in 2011 even though it was also in 5/13 nodes but since it came ba I this is where I am having problems. I can't afford to not have travel insurance and run the risk of losing money or incurring hefty medical costs (unlikely but possible).
    Guess I may have to limit my trips to within Australia now so that at least my health cover will kick in if I need it and I can reschedule flights if need be.

We have already been through so much, why do they have to make it harder for us?
  • Vicki White
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jenny,

sorry to hear bout your struggle, it's just not fair!!

i got anonline quote from Covermore and they won't cover my mets so i suppose ill have a chat to my Oncologist and see what he says.

i'll keep you posted.