Starting over with exercise

Options
Loucobamd
Loucobamd Member Posts: 51
edited December 2014 in Health and wellbeing
Hi,

I would like to share my experience of getting back on track with fitness with you all.

I have just done my first Aqua class at the gym. I'm tired but not sore. It was quite a challenge to be in my bathers with only one boob but I must say it wasn't a problem because the water hid everything and I didn't feel too exposed. I was able to find a spot to change in that wasn't too public so that was ok too.

I was up and about quite soon after my surgery and tried to get out for a walk almost every day even though some days it was only around the block. I have managed to not put any weight on but have lost muscle tone and my clothes have got a bit tighter... So I got myself a few looser tshirts. I have put away my singlets that I used to wear not comfortable wearing them at the moment.
I previously did weights twice a week and I have just signed on with a personal trainer at the gym to develop a program that suits my new needs, it has been a real confidence booster to have someone praising me for what I've achieved.

Family friends and colleagues have been amazed at my getting back into to it attitude.... Although they don't always realise what an effort it has been and they haven't seen me cry because I feel fat and unfit.

A little bit of history regarding my fitness journey may help to understand why fitness is so important to me.

After battling with mental health issues for years and requiring a hospital stay and a new diagnosis of bipolar it was time to evaluate my lifestyle. The hospital was a great start they took the mental health patients to the gym in the hospital (used for rehab). At this point I weighed in at 102 kilos. After leaving the hospital I started walking everyday for an hour and the weight started to come off and my mental health improved dramatically. As time went on I gradually improved adding more things to my routine. I have a great partner who encouraged me along the way. I got down to 70 kilos in about a year and a half. This was back in 2007.
Everything has been ticking over nicely since then and I have managed to keep on track most of the time.

Then came the words no one wants to hear you have breast cancer early stages.... Since then I have struggled mentally to get back on track, I was angry after I worked so hard to get to that point and I felt it had all been pointless. I'm working hard to turn this around and say to myself if I wasn't fit I couldn't have recovered so quickly from my surgery. I'm opting for reconstruction which will be around March so I've set myself a new goal to get fit for the next round... Both physically and mentally.

Thank you for reading the huge essay and I look forward to sharing your journey,

Louise

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You are amazing! What an inspirational story,and you are so right when you say that you wouldn't have recovered so well if you weren't fit!!Life is full of unknowns isn't it,and it's up to us as to how we handle each twist and turn.For you though,being bipolar,it must be especially difficult.I think your whole attitude,and the effort that you put in is incredible.We need stories like yours on this blog,so I hope you update us regularly.I have really enjoyed reading your story Louise.All power to you:):):):Robyn xox