Can't sleep!

Options
2»

Comments

• Sarah54
    Sarah54 Member Posts: 164
    edited March 2015
    Options

You will get there my dear we have no other way but fight the head on battle. You are now a surviver and congradulations. We can win the war, I am confident of that. Australia is so ahead of many countries with everything connected to Breast Cancer. Good luck and chin up and best foot forward.

cyber hugs and keep in contact

Sarah54

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,834
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am glad you are feeling loved and supported by ladies on this great network.  Grizzle any time you need to !  I do think it is easier to vent on here and then get on with the day to day things.  'A problem shared is a problem halved', they say.  When others connect with you and your story it helps you - but it also helps others as they then feel they are not alone.

We may be able to survive but at what cost to us and our families, let alone the daily grind of treatments and side effects ?  A young fella we know left Oz to work on breast cancer research in the US (and only breast cancer) in the 1980s. Still no closer to a cure ! ..... and if it were men's bits ..... ?

I agree that many family members and friends, whilst saying they are supportive, just don't want to talk about BC. I do think it means that they have to think of their own mortality and how they would cope if it were them.

Please keep on chatting when you have something on your mind.

Big cyber hugs - have a peaceful day.

Summer  :-)

• DebsBigSister
    DebsBigSister Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

I writing this not as a fighter or a survivor but as the Big Sister of a BC fighter (with secondary now in other places).  Take it from me if the last 3 years have taught me anything it has been that this disease is heartless, it preys on the rich and the poor and the weak and the strong and just when you think you can't take anymore a sliver of a rainbow appears and makes it all that treatment worthwhile.  My sister and I talk almost everyday (and she is 1300k'ms away) and I can tell when she has not so positive results from her monthly check ups because she will text me....it is very hard for me to understand why she wont just ring but I have to respect her wishes, when SHE is ready she calls.  The best information I recieved was from the BCNA - it was a pack of information which included information for relatives of BC fighters including what to say, things to do, things to offer, believe me some of these where so basic but I had just honestly NEVER thought of them, as a result when I went with her while she had treatment (3 hours from her home and everyday so 6 weeks away from home)) I filled her freezer full of homecooked food she loved so it was just a case of her taking it out and re-heating, I called her my fuzzy little gumnut when her hair started to regrow (we loved Snugglepot and Cuddlepie as kids) and I just wet washers and kept her cool when she was unwell after treatment.  It is so very hard for loved ones when people just close down and don't want to talk but you must also remember, sometimes we just dont know what to say, nothing that we can say will make you better or stop you hurting so sometimes it is just easier to say nothing.  My sister has recently changed Oncologists and is so much happier with her new Doc, if you are not happy with the information you are getting a second opinion cant hurt, from what I have heard the nurses etc in Orange are wonderful and I am sure they would be willing to chat and guide you in the path of getting all your information and feeling comfortable with your choices, and please remember if you need to chat there is always this page, .......Good luck with your treatment journey as it begins keep that fighting spirit going....xxxx

• DebsBigSister
    DebsBigSister Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

I writing this not as a fighter or a survivor but as the Big Sister of a BC fighter (with secondary now in other places).  Take it from me if the last 3 years have taught me anything it has been that this disease is heartless, it preys on the rich and the poor and the weak and the strong and just when you think you can't take anymore a sliver of a rainbow appears and makes it all that treatment worthwhile.  My sister and I talk almost everyday (and she is 1300k'ms away) and I can tell when she has not so positive results from her monthly check ups because she will text me....it is very hard for me to understand why she wont just ring but I have to respect her wishes, when SHE is ready she calls.  The best information I recieved was from the BCNA - it was a pack of information which included information for relatives of BC fighters including what to say, things to do, things to offer, believe me some of these where so basic but I had just honestly NEVER thought of them, as a result when I went with her while she had treatment (3 hours from her home and everyday so 6 weeks away from home)) I filled her freezer full of homecooked food she loved so it was just a case of her taking it out and re-heating, I called her my fuzzy little gumnut when her hair started to regrow (we loved Snugglepot and Cuddlepie as kids) and I just wet washers and kept her cool when she was unwell after treatment.  It is so very hard for loved ones when people just close down and don't want to talk but you must also remember, sometimes we just dont know what to say, nothing that we can say will make you better or stop you hurting so sometimes it is just easier to say nothing.  My sister has recently changed Oncologists and is so much happier with her new Doc, if you are not happy with the information you are getting a second opinion cant hurt, from what I have heard the nurses etc in Orange are wonderful and I am sure they would be willing to chat and guide you in the path of getting all your information and feeling comfortable with your choices, and please remember if you need to chat there is always this page, .......Good luck with your treatment journey as it begins keep that fighting spirit going....xxxx