First time blogging

Options
Loubegg
Loubegg Member Posts: 73
edited December 2014 in General discussion
Hi all

This is my first time blogging.

I was diagnosed on 20 September and have had a lumpectomy. I'm two rounds down for A chemo and have 2 more to go and 12 of Taxol.

I'm working 2 days per week and want to keep healthy, relatively fit and either stabilize weight or lose some for rest of treatment.

I currently try to walk every day and go to Curves 2 days a week.

Does anyone else do curves and how are they found it during treatment?

I've seen the physio and she said it's fine but if I find it too much to do pink Pilates.

Loving all the motivating tips on this site.

Comments

• Juli
    Juli Member Posts: 60
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi loubegg, you are a great inspiration. Hope you are keeping well.
    We don't have a curves near my home, but I am interested in the pink Pilates. Is that run through through curves

Well done.

Juli xx
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think that keeping as active as possible is a great way to help yourself through this process. I had a different chemo regime to you but found that walking and exercising helped to minimize the side effects. You do have to just see how things go as different drugs can have different effects for some of us.

I did a Pink Pilates course when I finished all my treatment and found it excellent to get me on the road to recovery. Great for one on one support and motivation. I felt like my physio was a good friend after a few visits. I think it helps to get your confidence and self-esteem back when you see the improvements that regular,appropriate exercise achieves.

I think we learn to listen to and notice more about our bodies going through all this. You will know what is best for you as you go along. Exercise is helpful but you may need to rest more as you go along. Hope that you can achieve your goal of maintaining or even loosing a little weight. I did end up putting on about 3kg (mostly fluid from steriods and chemo drugs) but lost this fairly easily when I finished. Wishing you all the best. Take care. Deanne xxx
  • Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think that keeping as active as possible is a great way to help yourself through this process. I had a different chemo regime to you but found that walking and exercising helped to minimize the side effects. You do have to just see how things go as different drugs can have different effects for some of us.

I did a Pink Pilates course when I finished all my treatment and found it excellent to get me on the road to recovery. Great for one on one support and motivation. I felt like my physio was a good friend after a few visits. I think it helps to get your confidence and self-esteem back when you see the improvements that regular,appropriate exercise achieves.

I think we learn to listen to and notice more about our bodies going through all this. You will know what is best for you as you go along. Exercise is helpful but you may need to rest more as you go along. Hope that you can achieve your goal of maintaining or even loosing a little weight. I did end up putting on about 3kg (mostly fluid from steriods and chemo drugs) but lost this fairly easily when I finished. Wishing you all the best. Take care. Deanne xxx
  • Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There is a Pink Pilates website that lists the physios that are qualified to provide this service. You can also have five sessions subsidized by Medicare (through your GP who fills out a form) which is a great help. My physio designed a home program for me which I still do every day (12 months later). It is excellent! Deanne xxx
  • Loubegg
    Loubegg Member Posts: 73
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Deanne! That's very true about listening. There are definitely those days you just need to rest!! Mm, it's good to know if I do out on weight - and noticed a gain after last chemo - that with time and work we can get back on track!! X
  • Carol
    Carol Member Posts: 150
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was lucky that my hospital SAN in Wahroonga Sydney had specific exercises for post bc surgery. I did them weeks 2 and 3 although not always able to do all the exercises  and had to stop once lost feeling in feet and hands.

I wasn't allowed to do the aqua ones till my chemo and radiotherapy completed and burns healed although others were. I remember the physio said the most importatn thing was to keep moving walking or even just exercises during the ad breaks while blob like on the bed or lounge.

The message about listening to that body is importatn esp while undergoing active tretment

your pink sister,

Carol

• Carol
    Carol Member Posts: 150
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was lucky that my hospital SAN in Wahroonga Sydney had specific exercises for post bc surgery. I did them weeks 2 and 3 although not always able to do all the exercises  and had to stop once lost feeling in feet and hands.

I wasn't allowed to do the aqua ones till my chemo and radiotherapy completed and burns healed although others were. I remember the physio said the most importatn thing was to keep moving walking or even just exercises during the ad breaks while blob like on the bed or lounge.

The message about listening to that body is importatn esp while undergoing active tretment

your pink sister,

Carol