Yep... I became a statistic!

Comments

• Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015

Just thought I would pop back in, the library is a free service run by the cancer council. They have lovely ladies who help with fitting, all styles and colours. When you're done you can keep the wig or return it to help others. They are all professionally cleaned and some are new. If you want to, just give them a call, Cheers, 

Hazel xx

• Dragonlover
    Dragonlover Member Posts: 34
    edited March 2015
    I'm fairly new to all this as well diagnosed early October, had a lump in my breast and they found a suspicious lymph node under my arm. These were biopsied and found to be malignant and so I found myself on this crazy ride I couldn't get off! It all happened very quickly after that - surgery the next week to remove lump and 9 lymph nodes, 4 in total were malignant. Didn't quite reach the margins around the lump in the breast so back for more surgery 2 weeks later. Saw an oncologist last week and I will be having 6 months of chemo followed by 6 weeks of radiation therapy. This will start on December 1st. I am going to try the cold cap as I also am scared of having no hair. I've had very long hair as long as I can remember and had it cut to shoulder length 2 days ago. It has to be cut again before treatment so it can all be covered by the cap but I just couldn't do it in one hit! I've read on here by people who have been through chemo that it's the least of your worries but right now it's just one more aspect of you that you have to lose in this process and sometimes it's these little things that break you some days. I'll get past it I know and being part of this site has helped me greatly already. I wish you all the best xx
  • Dragonlover
    edited March 2015
    You girls on here are so much stronger than I am yet, still early days for me but I am trying! Your life is changed so much and so quickly when this happens it's hard to accept all the things that are now out of your control. I am aiming to get better and the thought of maybe not losing my hair is something for me to grab on to right now. I'll learn to go with whatever happens as you guys have xx
  • shat
    shat Member Posts: 68
    edited March 2015

Hi Dragon lover

I am currently doing cold caps and my hair is passed my shoulders. It doesnt make a difference because you just leave your hair hanging down. (that's with the penguin cold caps)..hope this helps. ps I still have most of my hair after 3 treatments :)

shat

• 5girls
    5girls Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015

Hi Miss Lizzie,

Yes it is a shock and so much info to take in.I had nearly the same diagnosis as you, I had a small 2cm  Ductual Tumor that had infiltrated the  duct at 9 Oclock ,I(I always laugh at that description ) and small  insitu carcenoma outside (which means it had just started but hadn't infiltrated the duct ,apparently not one to worry about.) My lumpectomy scar looks great,As I'm really fond of my boobs my surgeon suggested he move some fat around so I wouldn't beleft with a dent in my breast,It does look great.I felt so well during post opp I only took 2 weeks off work. 30 days Radiation plus 4 boosts and  my skin only  had a slight rash , Underarm a bit sore due to friction.I used the Solugel, and Calendula by Herbal Creams.I have Used Bio Oil 2 x daily since finishing Rads  2 months ago  and both scars have almost faded to nothing.I have been on Arimidex for 3 months with no Side effects.9Lots of Calcium ,Vit D and Krill Oil) I decided early on not to be defined by this diagnosis.I have treated it as I would any other illness,now my treatment is finished (apart from the hormones and yearly checkups when I'll give it 24hrs thought  Lol )I take my meds and just forget about it,I have a life to live.!!

Best of Luck 

• Dragonlover
    edited March 2015
    I have been told by the nurses that do the chemo that to use this cold cap I have to have my hair cut fairly short so the cap can cover it so that's what I'll do, guess the caps may vary? Nice to hear it's working for you and I've heard many positive stories regarding the caps so that's great! Maybe just one thing I might have a bit of control over in this whole process. Less than 2 weeks now till I start 6 months of chemo so a little scared!
  • JessicaV
    JessicaV Member Posts: 297
    edited March 2015

Hi,

When I was researching coldcaps, I read  that some chemo regimes will make most of your hair fall out even with a coldcap, so you may want to check to see what the story is with your particular chemo regime.  And for some people having to put up with the intensive "icecream headache"  for a number of hours is worse than losing their hair.

If you want to continue to have lovely hair, you may find it worthwhile to look at a few other options and maybe set a Plan B in action .

One is to buy a wig that is just like your normal hair. Another  option that sounds like it could be great for you is to get your real hair made into a wig, or into a half-wig attached to a hat or a scarf if you want something cooler, so you continue to have your own hair and it is not nearly as hot as a wig. One:

http://www.360-hair.com/makewigfromownhair.html

is listed with Cancer Canada because they have teamed up with Cancer Canada to make wigs with yr own hair. There are several places that do this, some faster and cheaper than others. 

Perhaps to be realistic you might choose to do both.

I opted to lose my hair and am really enjoy growing it back now the Docetaxol treatment is finished. I bought a marilyn Munro wig and found it fun going around as a blonde!

http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/hair_skin_nails/cold-caps  is a good webpage with the following to say about coldcaps:

It’s also important to know that cold caps don’t work for everyone. In two small European studies, cold caps were considered effective in about 50% of the women that used them. Women who got only anthracycline chemotherapy had better results with cold caps than women who got only taxane chemotherapy.

Adriamycin (chemical name: doxorubicin), Ellence (chemical name: epirubicin), and daunorubicin are anthracyclines.

Taxol (chemical name: paclitaxel), Taxotere (chemical name: docetaxel), and Abraxane (chemical name: albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) are taxanes.

Women who got both an anthracycline and a taxane in their chemotherapy regimen (combination chemotherapy) seem to have the worst results with cold caps, though some of them still kept some of their hair.

If you’re interested in trying cold caps, talk to your doctor about all the factors that need to be taken into account, including your chemotherapy regimen and any other health issues you may have.

• shat
    shat Member Posts: 68
    edited March 2015

Hi Dragonlover,

Yes its importatnt to do what makes you comfortable re cold caps because they might vary. The first cap is uncomfortable but after that my head just goes numb so its not like a constant ice cream headache (for me anyway). they are a bit heavy though after a while so a travel pillow is useful.

The thought of chemo is a very scary thing isnt it? It really goes against your natural instincts!! My first round was not great but the last 2 have been very tolerable with fatigue and a few aches being the main problem.

What chemo drugs are you having. I am on TCH (not to be confused with THC :) ). taxotere, herceptin and carboplatin.

I agree that it's nice to have something you can take control of and I think this helped my patrner too,  to be able to actually help with something. We are off to round 4 now...the joys!

shat

• Liggyw
    Liggyw Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2015

I am in the same boat ie: newly diagnosed. I have only had my first treatment last week and I'm now anxiously waiting for my hair to fall out and freaking out.  I did have long blonde hair halfway down my back but I had it all cut off prior to my first treatment.  I'm anxious that when it starts falling out it will make the whole BC thing really real again.  After reading all you lovely ladies comments - the common message that I'm hearing is that losing your hair is 'do-able'. You have all given me a much needed boost.  I also took great strength from the lady who commented about Christmas. Didn't think about it before, but one bad, bald Christmas is a small price to pay in the scheme of things. Thank you ladies

• Liggyw
    edited March 2015

I am in the same boat ie: newly diagnosed. I have only had my first treatment last week and I'm now anxiously waiting for my hair to fall out and freaking out.  I did have long blonde hair halfway down my back but I had it all cut off prior to my first treatment.  I'm anxious that when it starts falling out it will make the whole BC thing really real again.  After reading all you lovely ladies comments - the common message that I'm hearing is that losing your hair is 'do-able'. You have all given me a much needed boost.  I also took great strength from the lady who commented about Christmas. Didn't think about it before, but one bad, bald Christmas is a small price to pay in the scheme of things. Thank you ladies

• Liggyw
    edited March 2015

• margiemoo
    margiemoo Member Posts: 263
    edited March 2015

unfortunately we all have to find it to fight this disease - we all have our down moments though. Hope you are going ok.

Marg xx

• miss lizzie
    miss lizzie Member Posts: 25
    edited March 2015

hi liggyw, im the xmas girl.  exmas eve treatment to be exact. i have my first treatment this thursday. scared of needles so i have bought a box of elma patches..lol  i get my hair cut in 1 hrs time from very long to short bob. thats going to be just as traumatic.  cant wait to get through this.  calendar all my treatments to mark them off. and googling things to see what makes your hair grow back quicker.lol  vain i know but need to get back to normal and feel normal asap.  your one treatment up on me so looks like ours will be parellel worlds for a while.

take  care

Lizzie

• Liggyw
    edited March 2015
    Hi Lizzie
    I hope you love your new hair cut. Both my hairdresser and I cried after mine because it looked so good and I should have done it years ago. I hope you feel the same :). They used a canular in my hand first treatment as I had only just had a port a cath put in. Sounds like a toilet (port a loo) so my friends have christened it the 'cath and Kim' which is so much nicer. Saying that, I'm already anxious about it being used the first time and does it hurt. Oh well, i will find out in two weeks.
    What I've learned (in my very short time) is that you just take it one day at a time and celebrate that you got through another day :)
    Leigh
  • miss lizzie
    miss lizzie Member Posts: 25
    edited March 2015

well back from hairdresser.  bob is ok.  i have never had short hair in my life which was distressing.  done now.  waiting for rob to get home, he'll say he loves it.  now to chemo nurse tomorrow then a day to do final stuff.  then CDAY.  this week will be a blast.  just wondering whether i can run on friday after.  i run 4 times a week normally not sure whether i am allowed. must ask nurse chemo.  feel like this blog has become a diary. 

lizzie