Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

My mum has been diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in the liver

Options
ilovemamag
ilovemamag Member Posts: 9
edited September 2016 in Metastatic breast cancer
I found out that my mum has been diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in the liver. There are no words to describe just how devastated I am.

She was diagnosed with primary breast cancer last year in June and went through 8 rounds of chemo, surgery to remove her left breast and further radio treatment. I cant bear to see her go through the pain again.

I love her so much. She is my best friend, my soulmate. My father past away two years ago after 12 years of living with the effects of a stroke. Not being able to speak or walk. She is my rock. She brought two kids up on her own. I don't know how to get through this. I feel so lonely. I am tired of being strong and brave. It is so hard.

I just love her so much and cannot think of life without her. I have no purpose if she is gone. She was my purpose in life. I live for her. I am scared to think she won't see me get married, she won't be there when I have kids. What is the meaning of all of this? I feel so lost. I pray everyday that she can stay here with me as long as possible and cherish every single second I am with her.
Tagged:

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am so sorry that this has happened for your Mum. She must be a wonderful lady to have such a caring and loving daughter.

I am not in your Mum's position but hope that some of the ladies on here with secondaries can help to reassure you that it is very possible that your Mum's cancer can be controlled (not cured) and give her a fairly good quality of life. I know that some ladies on here have been living for some years with stable mets. There are treatments that some people respond to very well. I hope that your Mum will be one of these people.

I hope that you have some support for yourself so that you can continue to be a wonderful support for your Mum. My daughters have been and continue to be a fantastic support to me but I am mindful that this disease does effect the whole family, not just me. It has been important that they have support from others too.

Wishing you and your Mum all the best and I hope that, with treatment you and your Mum can have much more quality time together. Take care of you too. Deanne xxx

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Your Mum sounds amazing,and so do you!!!I have a precious daughter who is 24.She helped me through my diagnosis and treatment.I don't have secondaries,but I do know,that these days,women live for many,many years after a secondary diagnosis.I am sure that lots of ladies will come on here and tell you their experiences.This blog is always a bit quiet on the weekend,but during the week it picks up!!! Secondary BC is treated as a chronic disease,and there are so many ladies on here that carry on working,or with their day to day lives,once they have their medications all worked out.Please stay in touch,and try to stress a little less:) There is no answer to ' why me?'.We have all asked ourselves this,and unfortunately it is just what it is.I think that we should try to think about now lucky we are to live in a country like Australia,where treatment is THE BEST in the world.Take care,and try if you can,to look at this as a bump in the road,not the end of the road.Sending you a big cyber hug[[[ ]]] xoxRobyn
  • Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015
    Options

So sorry to hear about your mum, I lost mine when I was 15 to breast cancer, but the treatments are far more advanced now and they are having success with controlling secondries. I also hope you can find some support to help you through this difficult time, take care, 

Hazel xx

• ilovemamag
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you for your kind words Deanne, it means alot to me. I send my hopes and wishes to you and your family. I have enormous respect for all the women and their families on this network.  I understand the special bond between a mother and daughter and no doubt your daughters love for you and your love for them will give you the strength to overcome this hurdle! 

• Maxine6755
    Maxine6755 Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer on the lung and in the liver earlier this year had chemo for six rounds and then started on tablets go infection and was in hospital for a week and the mets in my liver had enlarged so now am on chemo tablets which seem to be working and my drs says there is more to try if this doesn't work. So I'm sure your mother will get lots of treatment and here dr. will look after her. Good luck
  • ilovemamag
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you so much for your encouraging words Robyn. It made me think about the situation in a different light. It is never easy whatever the situation! You are absolutely right about living in a lucky country like Australia where we do have access to great care and treatment. I am grateful that there is a network like BCNA I can reach out to. I wish you all the best for the future! Sending a big cyber hug back to you too :)

Karen

• ilovemamag
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you for your kind words Hazel, I really appreciate you taking the time to write a message of support. It means alot to me. It must have been so difficult to lose your mum at such a young age. I am 27 and I lost my dad when I was 25. That was extremely hard. Sending my love and thanks to you x

Karen

• ilovemamag
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Maxine

Thank you so much for your message of support. I wish you the best of luck with your treatment and please keep me updated with your progress! :)

Karen

• mgndam1603
    mgndam1603 Member Posts: 753
    edited March 2015
    Options

What a loving supportive daughter you are and that is just what we mothers need. I too have a wonderful daughter that was such a huge support to me throughout my surgeries and treatments and continues to be so.

like some of the other ladies I am fortunate to not have secondary cancer however a very close friend of mine has and she take chemo tablets along with other treatment, her doctors keep a very close watch of her and she lead a very happy and productive life. Her and her husband have chosen to live life to the max and are travelling around as much as possible inbetween her doctor visits. She flew down to melbourne to visit me and attend the field of women with me earlier this year.

Keep positive it always helps

Sending you hugs

Donna

• Sun
    Sun Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Karen I have been dealing with secondaries to my liver since Oct 2012. I have been on Abraxane chemo which gave me 12 months before the tumours started to grow back and I'm now on Exemesten and Everolimus. I know that I have a shortened lifespan because it's in my liver but there are many treatments. To date, my quality of life hasn't been too bad apart from nausea and tiredness as well as loss of appetite. My father died of a stroke when I was 18 and my mother died of breast cancer when I was 24. I have empathy with how you are feeling. Enjoy each day with your family. You are a very caring daughter and will be in my thoughts. Sue
  • ilovemamag
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hello Sue
    Thank you so much for your kind message. Im so sorry for the loss of your parents and secondaries. Life is never easy. I admire your strength and attitude during this testing time. My mum had her bone scan today and will be having her liver biopsy tomorrow. I hope to hear some more positive news. I hope you will also have some positive news coming your way too. I wish you the very best. Please keep me informed of your progress!

Karen x
  • ilovemamag
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hello Sue
    Thank you so much for your kind message. Im so sorry for the loss of your parents and secondaries. Life is never easy. I admire your strength and attitude during this testing time. My mum had her bone scan today and will be having her liver biopsy tomorrow. I hope to hear some more positive news. I hope you will also have some positive news coming your way too. I wish you the very best. Please keep me informed of your progress!

Karen x