Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

The Journey Begins.......

Options
AntheaM
AntheaM Member Posts: 7
edited September 2016 in Metastatic breast cancer
Well what a month it has been, life is full of surprises! Around the middle of June I noticed I was becoming short of breath initially I put this down to lack of attendance at the gym and general laziness. It then got to the point when I thought that it could be more than lack of fitness, so I took myself of to the local public hospital who after blood tests and chest x ray diagnosed me with pneumonia and plueral effusion(a build up of fluid in the plueral cavity). I did repeatedly state that I had not been unwell, no cough, no fever, not coughing up any gunk. Anyway pneumonia still won so I was admitted for 4 days and pumped full of IV antibiotics (3 different sorts) and they attempted a chest drain, but only managed to drain 200mls of fluid. Then they sent me home.

Two days later my shortness of breath was worse so this time I went to the local private hospital and its a good thing I did. They did chest x ray and I had over 2 litres of fluid and my lung had collasped. I was admitted and had 2 chest drains over 3 days (the first one stopped working) CT scan and repeat chest x ray. They also ran tests on the fluid they drained and surprise surprise it did not grow any bacteria, it did however have hormone receptor positive breast cancer cells. The CT scan also showed a lump in my left breast.(The fluid was in my right plueral cavity)

I then had a mammogram, ultrasound and needle biopsy of the lump and two suspicious looking lymph nodes. The lump came back positive and the nodes negative.

The thoracic consultant has gently explained that although the CT scan did not show any identifable mass in my lungs the fact that the cancer cells were in the plueral fliud would indicate that the cancer has spread.

So on Monday I am off to see the breast surgeon, armed with heaps of questions, some of which she probably will not be able to answer yet.

Incidently the public hospital also tested the fluid and got the same results, but they are yet to inform me or my GP. I only know that they got the same results as a really close friend is a physican at the hospital and I gave him permission to look up my results. I will be interested to see how long before they get around to letting me know I have breast cancer, it has been 2 weeks since I was discharged!

I am coping Ok at this stage I am glad I have some medical knowledge and can understand the results and reports. Everything would be even more overwhelming otherwise. I make a note everytime I think of something I need to ask. I have learnt that there is a lot of unknowns and a lot of waiting, neither of which I usually cope well with !

So already this has taught me somthing, and I am sure the learning curve will continue.

I am blessed with a supportive husband, my 19 year old daughter has also been fantastic.I also have an 8 year old daughter, but I have not told her a lot as yet.I am so luckly to have wonderful friends and family who I know will support me anyway they can.
Tagged:

Comments

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was very sad to read your blog -what a dreadful time you've had. The waiting does your head in for sure.I hope Monday sees you organized with a surgery date and plan.It's abit of a shock when you get that cancer diagnosis -your world comes to a grinding halt.For awhile,you wake up thinking it was just some nightmare but then the reality sinks in. This is a wonderful site to come to.You will get lots of info and support -also good to just vent .Many ladies here are going through treatment or ,like me,finished and come out the other end There is a real sisterhood here so draw strength from us and your loved ones.

Tonya xx

• Pamelamary
    Pamelamary Member Posts: 240
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anthea,

Looks like you have had a rather brutal introduction to the world of ABC! You will find a lot of knowledge and support through this site, as well as many women who are LIVING with secondaries. 

Best wishes.... Pam

• Pamelamary
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anthea,

Looks like you have had a rather brutal introduction to the world of ABC! You will find a lot of knowledge and support through this site, as well as many women who are LIVING with secondaries. 

Best wishes.... Pam

• Amy
    Amy Member Posts: 233
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anthea

I hope that you get answers to your questions on Monday.  This is a great site for support - I don't know how I would have got through the first few months without it.

Amy x

• AntheaM
    AntheaM Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well it now appears I have hit the jackpot and have 2 primary cancers. A core biopsy had confirmed cancer in my left breast, with metastasis on the lining of my right lung (pluera) which was causing a build up of fliud.

I then had a bone scan and abdominal CT, the bone scan was clear but unfortunately I have multiple peritonel metatasis, including both ovaries. Initally the Oncologist assumed that they had all come from the breast, but due to the extent of the disease they began to question that.

I had a biopsy of a tumor on my omentum done and sure  enough it is ovarian cancer (stage4). I have already had 1 round of dose dense chemo (nab paklitaxel) once a week for 3 weeks then  one week off, and now I go in Friday to discuss a "revised treatment plan". The hardest thing has been the"goal post shifting", the original diagnoses was of stage 4 Breast cancer so a treatment plan (6-12months of chemo) had been set out and now everything is up in the air again. Anyway hopefully on Friday I will know where we are going, probably surgery followed up by the chemo as per the current plan.

• Pamelamary
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anthea,

So sorry to hear your news - and I know what you mean about "goal post shifting". Just want to send a message of support and hope the new treatment plan is settled soon.

Best wishes..... Pam

• Pamelamary
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anthea,

So sorry to hear your news - and I know what you mean about "goal post shifting". Just want to send a message of support and hope the new treatment plan is settled soon.

Best wishes..... Pam

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

What can I say - but  am so sorry to hear  your bad news. How unlucky to have 2 primary cancers,it doesn't seem possible.It's not fair when the goal post gets moved on us.I hope tomorrow sees you with a definite plan so you can get started on treatment - stay hopeful. Sending a hug.

Tonya xx