fellowship

Options
Lyn11
Lyn11 Member Posts: 272
edited October 2010 in Day to day

I had a breast screen in mid June and by the 2nd July my right breast was removed. I would like to talk to someone in a similar position. I am 59, married, 2 children and 3 grandchildren and I live in Brisbane. I can't find any groups near my postcode.

Comments

• ShirlO
    ShirlO Member Posts: 350
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Lyn ... welcome to your new "extended family" ... one of BCNA's many purposes is to bring women together from all over the country to support each other through these fourms, groups and discussion b logs.

I am in a similar position to yours' ..... I am 62, was diagnosed in January 2010 and had my right breast removed two weeks later.  I had the choice between a complet breast and lymph node removal or a lumpectomy and some of the nodes.  I opted for the former ... at my age breasts were not a necessity and the odds of reoccurrance were extremly slim.  I must add that this was the right decision for me and my not be right for everyone.

I am in a great relationship with a very supporting partner with 2 children, 5 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild.  My son and daughter and their families are in Perth and Darwin but their support through phone calls and e.mails was great.

I live in a very small country town in western NSW so the people I am involved with on a daily basis (RSL Ladies, Tai Chi group, swimming group, my local pub and my partner's family) were my support group - not neglecting my wonderful Breast Care nurse and the Sunraysia Cancer Resource Centre.

Let me know whereabouts in Brisbane you are living ..... I'll do a bit of digging around and see what I can find.

I've "clicked" to add you to my contacts ... so thats a start LoL !!!

In the meantime keep your chin up and stay positive!!!  Logging on here is a step in the right direction - you will be able to chat with many women in the same position as yourself ... we may not be next door but we will support you every step of the way.

Take care .....

Cheers .. Shirl xx 

• Lyn11
    edited March 2015
    Options

my diagnosis was the same as yours...I was given the option and I chose mastectomy. A part of me is regretting that decision now. Should I have had both removed? I am so lop sided and my prosthesis is so heavy. I would rather go without anything but it is so noticeable as I am/was quite curvy!

Thank you for replying. I don't know who else to talk too even though I have a loving husband. He wouldn't understand and would think I was being silly

• ShirlO
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi again Lyn .....

I guess when the big question comes up - one or two - it would depend on why?  Was there a chance that it may have travelled "next door", or did you have the heireditary gene.

I know that when I have my 12mth mamo and ultrasound probably in Dec, if there's a hint that there could be anything there I'll be saying "get rid of it", but that's me!!

I still haven't put any kind of bra on yet - a couple of reasons:- I have put on weight so to wear a bra would make my spare tyre bigger than my boobs.  Secondly I was never blessed with big boobs so the fact that I am braless is not even noticable.  Hopefully the weight will come off over summer when I am out and about doing more exercising than I am at the moment (which wouldn't have to be much).

Now I'm going to be a bit strict here - a bit of a bossy boots!!!!!!!

Have you spoken to your husband about this or are you just assuming he wouldn't understand?  if you haven't mentioned it, think of this ..... he can't read your mind (we wouldn't really want them too would we?) so it's up to you to bring the subject up!

Some men can be a bit clueless at time so you may have to use little words and short sentances.... don't mind me, I have a rather strange sense of humour at times!!!

Will you let me know which area of Brisbane you are in so I can hunt around and find a group close to where you are.  It's great that we chat here, but we can't do it over a cuppa and have general girlie talks on the computer.

Chat again soon ..... as often as you would like to

Cheers ... Shirl

• Lyn11
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am in Bray Park, north Brisbane. How can you be not noticeable. One half of me points ahead and the other one points inwards. It is very noticeable. I have put on wait as well but I am hoping to lose a bit of that.

My left one was clear but the cancer could still appear there. I wopuld have it removed immediately. It doesn't scare me but the deformity does. Also the cancer coming back is a worry.

I am sorry if it sounds like I am a moaner but really I'm not. I'm very proud of the fact that I was out of the hospital the next morning and back at work by the end of the week.

Thanks for 'listening',

Lyn

• ShirlO
    edited March 2015
    Options

Lyn, I don't think you are a moaner .... quite the opposite.  It is a normal reaction to be frightened and uncertain - none of us knows what the future holds and we all go through the what-ifs and the maybees ... we would be totally devoid of feelings if we didn't run through this gauntlet of emotions.

From my own experience I doubt if I would have been able to be out the next day and back at work a week later.  I was fine the next day in the hospital but stil needed my "nanny nap" after lunch.  Actually the staff insisted on rest time as they closed the wards to visitors.  I was kept in hospital for 10 days as the surgeon wanted to have the path results before he let me go home.  I might add I have no private cover and this was in a public hospital. 

These are personal questions, don't answer if you don't want to and tell me to mind my own business if you want to.

Was it by choice or by necessity that you were discharged and returned to work so soon?  Did you have follow up consults with your breast care nurse and/or your GP and your surgeon?

Did you receive your BCNA "My Journey" kit and also your"My Care" kit with a bra sponsored by Berlie?

Have you interests outside home and work - clubs, sporting groups, social groups?

As I said, I'm not being nosey (just a natural born stickybeak) bus these are the things we'd be chatting about over a cuppa.

Come and chat any time

Cheers ... Shirl

• Lyn11
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, sorry I didn't get back sooner. I was in a public hospital too. I wanted to go home so asked if I could get out sooner. I don't like being away from home, lol.

My husband had his prostate removed 2 years ago and he was back at work (we run a takeaway) in 8 days so it was a sort of competition who was stronger, haha.  I had 2 follow ups at the hospital for checks but then I was referred to an oncologist so I have finished at Breast clinic now. I see the onc every 3 months. I'm not having chemo. We have elected to have the hormone treatment.

Yes I did get the Journey Kit but not the MY Care one. I don't have many outside interests as our shop is very busy and nights are our busiest times. I also don't drive so have to rely on others for transport. Our daughter lives 5 minutes walk away so we mainly spend our times with them if we go anywhere

We are looking to sell the shop around Christmas as it is getting too much for us and we don't have enough time to do other things.

I don't think you are being nosey. You are getting to know me. Tell me about you, please.

Lyn

• ShirlO
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi again Lyn, how's your day going so far.  I've had a busy morning, starting to organise my Mini Field of Women for the end of October during Breast Cancer Awareness month.

You and your hubby certainly lead busy lives .... being self employed isn't the easiest thing.  I had a video shop when I was in the NT and I worked 7 days a week.  during the week I would go in at 10 to open up then would go back at 4pm and work through till 10.  On weekends I would do the reverse, work from 10am till 4pm.  I would occasionally give myself time off for "bad behaviour" and go up to Darwin for the weekend to see my family. My feelings on working for yourself were that it was the only workplace where you had to bring your own pay and cut your own lunch.  Good luck with your plans to sell the business - I hope things go well with that.

I've been doing a bit of homework for you re support groups ... now please don't think I'm trying to organise your life for you (I am really, but I can be subtle LoL !!!!)

The Moreton Region Breast Cancer Support Group is close to you.  They send out newsletters and meet on a regular basis.  They MAY be able to arrange for you to be picked up if you can't get there under your own steam.

The co-ordinator is Gayle Anderson .... Ph 07 32046970

e.mail  gayle@lawnandgarden.com.au

Another one is Kim Walters Choice Program ...... they have a toll free no 1800227271

You could also call your Local Cancer Council ....... 131120

Now, about the bras and things .... if you call  1800500258 which is the BCNA number and ask about the My Care Kit the girls can put you in touch with the Berlie people so you can be properly fitted.

When you get yourself organised with these groups your daughter could possibly go with you - give you both the opportunity to have "girlie time" together.  I know my daughter was upset that she couldn't be with me for support but as she is in Darwin and as I am in Wentworth (a small country town in NSW on the junction of the Darling and Murray rivers) it was not possible. 

I went to see my oncologist yesterday ... he is happy with the way things are progressing.  I have to have another mammogram and ultra-sound at the end of November.  as he pointed out that will be about 12 months since the last one..... time flies when you're having fun!!!

He and my surgeon will each get the results and I see them both agn in mid December.  All going well (and I see no reasone why it shouldn't) I may not need to see them again for another 12 months.  Whatever the results I am determined to think positive thoughts and get on with my life.  After all there is life after cancer and I am in charge of my own destiny.

I guess I had better go and do something constructive, otherwise I will be here chatting all day. There's dishes to do and a load of washing to do as well.  Then again I'm reading a good book at the moment so it's a toss up to see what I'll do.

You take care of yourself and we'll talk later

Cheers ... Shirl xx

• Lyn11
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Shirl. Thanks for the info with the numbers. I start my days off tomorrow afternoon so I will give them a ring then. When I received my prosthesis I had a bra fitting then but My underarm is still quite swollen and the bra cuts in. They were so expensive so I don't want to cut them, lol. My old bra I have had to take out the  underwire and with the weight of the prosthesis ....well, it can be quite funny as it slips through!

I feel much better this week. I was a bit low and unhappy last week but it was good chatting with you. When I get more time I will write again.

Thanks for being there,

Lyn

• nanny
    nanny Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Lyn

I am new to the network and reading your post I was in a similar position to you.   I am  now 64 and was diagnosed with early breast cancer in 2001 and chose to have a complete mastectomy and had a reconstructionm at the same time.   Didn't think I could handle not having anything there at all or going through another operation later.  

Still have trouble with some bras being uncomfortable,  like to have plenty of stretch and cannot wear underwire as too uncomfortable.

We also had our own business when I was diagnosed (since retired) and it was difficult to have time to get my head around what was happening, still get a bit toey when it is time for my annual check, but so far so good

I was lucky I did not have to have any chemo or radiation as it was caught early and having to mastectomy instead of lumpectomy proved to be right decision

Hope you are feeling better, try to get some time for yourself - not always easy when you are used to helping everyone else - seems to be a women's greatest problem- putting ourselves first.

Must stop waffling

Take care

• Lyn11
    edited March 2015
    Options

thank you nanny. So you had your op 9 years ago? That fills me with a bit more hope. I haven't asked anyone about years as I was afraid of the answer!!!

• nanny
    edited March 2015
    Options

It does get easier as time goes on, still have my moments but nothing too bad.

I do try to have as much "me" time as I want.      Since we retired it has been a lot better, have done a bit of travelling and we have 4 grandchildren, the youngest being only 2, so they are good fun

Glad to hear you feel a bit better. 

• nanny
    edited March 2015
    Options

It does get easier as time goes on, still have my moments but nothing too bad.

I do try to have as much "me" time as I want.      Since we retired it has been a lot better, have done a bit of travelling and we have 4 grandchildren, the youngest being only 2, so they are good fun

Glad to hear you feel a bit better.