Art as therapy?

Options
ToraShoji
ToraShoji Member Posts: 16
edited December 2011 in Health and wellbeing

Three months.  

How a life can change in such a short time.

61 years old, retired from High School teaching after 30 years of service.  I loved it, but needed to do something else with my life.  I reinvented myself as an artist.  

All those years ago my Father had said NO to me when I expressed the desire to study Art at the age of 18.  

For two years I worked hard at my own art work.  I exhibited nationally and Internationally- only once, but it was  a taste. 

Then I fell in a hole. Where to go next? What to do?  I had no answers.

I bit the bullet and enrolled at a TAFE to study Visual Arts part time.  What a joy! 

Four long years later I was in my final few weeks of study when I got the news at the beginning of Breast Cancer month, October.  You have Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Stage 2 and it must be removed.

The roller coaster began.....

Comments

• Liz24
    Liz24 Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hope you're doing well now and off the roller coaster..

I understand your need for change. I admire your determination to do something you love. I also love art and regret not doing a fine arts degree or some art course when I graduated from high school. What I am thinking of doing though is signing up for a short counselling course. I hope it will give me the skills and understanding to work with sick kids as I plan to do in the future. As scary as it can be doing something new.

I'm a primary school teacher who has been away from work since I was diagnosed around the beginning of the year. I feel that life has changed so much after my ordeal. I'm not looking forward to going back to work (the rat race) even though it's part time. Sometimes it feels as though people don't really understand what you're going through and this makes you feel like you don't belong there anymore.

I hope that you're able to get back to doing what you love soon, just as I hope to get back my passion and inspiration again too.

All the best with it. :)

• Liz24
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hope you're doing well now and off the roller coaster..

I understand your need for change. I admire your determination to do something you love. I also love art and regret not doing a fine arts degree or some art course when I graduated from high school. What I am thinking of doing though is signing up for a short counselling course. I hope it will give me the skills and understanding to work with sick kids as I plan to do in the future. As scary as it can be doing something new.

I'm a primary school teacher who has been away from work since I was diagnosed around the beginning of the year. I feel that life has changed so much after my ordeal. I'm not looking forward to going back to work (the rat race) even though it's part time. Sometimes it feels as though people don't really understand what you're going through and this makes you feel like you don't belong there anymore.

I hope that you're able to get back to doing what you love soon, just as I hope to get back my passion and inspiration again too.

All the best with it. :)

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am another kindred art spirit. After my hsc I studied art  for a year then changed my mind and did nursing.I've been a nurse for 37yrs and although I don't regret it,I miss my creative side.When breast cancer came back a second time(last year)I decided to make BIG changes.I left my job of 16yrs and also moved house-downsized.The move has enabled me financially to retire if I want.I now want to get back to painting,photography,sewing-all my creative outlets.Liz,I understand how you are feeling about returning to work and not belonging.As soon as I finished chemo I wanted to "get back on my horse"and return to work.It was so important for me to get back normality and prove I was ok.My colleagues were very supportive but it's hard getting around in a bandana on your bald head,smiling and answering questions about your hair progress.After a year,I had a feeling of not belonging and a sense of going in another direction with my life.I haven't worked for the last 3 mths and it's great,don't miss it at all.So follow your gut feeling as it's usually right.I hope you are through your treatments Chris- are you ok now?

Tonya xx

• ToraShoji
    edited March 2015
    Options

How wonderful to get two replies  to the start of my blog.  I have never done anyhing like this before.

Thank you Tonya for taking the time to empathise with me at this difficult time.

I am still only half way through my Chemo.  Trying to get used to the bald as an egg look- very fashionable, wondering what the Gremlins have in store for me each day. They have fun with those knives of theirs. 

I will update my little Blog and see if I can post some images of my art that has sprung from the BC experience.

Best wishes

Chris x

• ToraShoji
    edited March 2015
    Options

Not an easy thing to do, Liz.  It took me 30 years to finally do it and I was 'pushed' into quitting my job by an unsympathetic Boss!

If you wish to change direction I believe that you may need more than short term course Liz. Your Primary School teaching skills will always stand you in good stead. Nobody ever believes or understands all the skills that teachers possess! You may need to invest further in your own education.  Perhaps a Psychology course or something of that nature?  I do not know much about it, but qualifications are essential. If you can afford to do so, go for it. However it is not easy keeping body and soul together.  

I was lucky that I was able to stop work full time and take early retirement at age 55. Mind you my partner grumbled about it.

Finding a passion again is so hard. I am stuck at the moment with no energy to do any art except the odd bit of sewing: making hats to cover the pate! 

I know what you mean about others not understanding.  They mean well but have little or no concept of what we have endured.  Believe in yourself, take your talents and fly. You have nothing to fear after all that  you have been through. 

Best wishes

Chris x

• Liz24
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes, Tonya I completely understand the need for normalicy after treatment. I finished chemo mid Oct and had an operation in mid Nov, which I'm slowly recovering from. I'm doing well, but have to watch out for my tendency to want to overdo things. Sometimes I get a bit too excited and want to get stuck into it all when really it is more sensible to take it slow.

Chris, regarding work, I don't need to make a complete career change. I don't even have to do a course, but I thought it might help me to learn a few new skills. I feel I need a change of work place where I know I'll be more satisfied and feel that I belong. I feel that I belong when I work with sick kids. After all we can relate to each other. Having said this, my current work place is ok. It's just that lack of satisfaction and belonging after being away for so long and people don't understand all the changes that we've been through. Yes, not feeling and looking the same too. I'm eagerly waiting for my hair to grow back as well. At the moment, I have about a centimetre there.

I agree that it's hard to do anything new and make big changes. It can all seem so daunting! Our health is always at the back of our minds regardless of what we do. The main thing is to do what you enjoy and what  feels right!

I hope that you are both doing well. x

• ToraShoji
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Liz.  A kindred sprit .  Wonderful.

I understand about you wanting to work with sick kids. That makes perfect sense. You surely have all the skils necessary. Go for it girl!  There have to be plenty of opportunities out there.  Maybe do some volountary work at a hospital as a starting point. Doors open when you least expect them to.....

I hope you find your niche.  Good wishes for yor recovery post-op. and for the hair to grow back.  I have just had  a lovely dose of itchy scalp- Folliculitis according to the Oncologist.  Such fun. I never know what those Gremlins wielding their knives in my bloodstream,  are going to throw at me each day.  I fixed a lot of the irritation with soaking the bonce in a solution of tepid water, Keri Oil and a dash of cider vinegar. Any other tips?

Chris

• Liz24
    edited March 2015
    Options

I quite liked massaging lavender oil (mixed with a carrier oil) on my scalp. It's relaxing and smells good too! :)

• Liz24
    edited March 2015
    Options

I quite liked massaging lavender oil (mixed with a carrier oil) on my scalp. It's relaxing and smells good too! :)

• ToraShoji
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks for the lavender oil tip, Liz..  I think my head is too rashy at the moment.  I am using an  antibiotic cream prescribed by my long suffering GP. It is slowly improving!

Chris x