Nice to feel good!

Options
Samhutto
Samhutto Member Posts: 51
edited November 2011 in General discussion

A month ago yesterday I got my diagnosis, and 3 weeks yesterday since my right mastectomy....still can't believe I have (had??) Breast Cancer! Have felt good today...first day in a month I haven't shed any tears! Maybe I am finally accepting my goodluck...no chemo or rad, just tamoxifen, and not too many hot flushes either!

Made a decision about my future career change, and made a cake for my beautiful boy who is turning 6! Nice to feel good!

Comments

• sillysam83
    sillysam83 Member Posts: 378
    edited March 2015
    Options

I know what you mean Sam :) I had a very similar moment - how great is it when u start feeling yourself again and after all the drugs have clouded ur mind and with all the uncertanty, and then one day your starting to feel great again. its such a terrific feeling... 

R u having any side effects from tamoxifin?

did u get my email the other day, sorry if it seemed a little negetive, I've just had one of those weeks :( 

Yeah please let us know what ur career will be now? Im the same, I was happy at work before I was diagnosed but now feel my life isnt work, and in the career I had they expect work work work results results results. alot of stress and alot of hours. plus my position in the company has been made redundant so I'm in a new position at a new store that I hate lol... but I'll see what happens aye? 

Happy birthday to your son too :) Hope the happiness continues for u... 

Merylee

• Samhutto
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Danielle & Merylee. My son enjoyed his birthday party & it was a lovely day of celebrations!
    I have always considered doing nursing so I am going back to uni & giving it a go! Well at least I will apply & see if I get in! I was a secondary science teacher before kids but haven't been excited about returning in a couple of years, & have always considered doing nursing. And having this 'wake up call' has made me realise that I am just making excuses & getting in my own way! So I will apply & give it a go!!
    And yes Danielle I completely agree with you & John Edwards, so thanks for reminding me of that! I am healthy now!! I HAD breast cancer!
    I will still let myself have down days or moments, but I absolutely already feel like I have gained so much from this bc journey!!
    Merylee I'm only having a few side effects from tamoxifen like the hot flushes, but I also think it's making me constipated! Awesome! I also have a bowel disease that I've had since I was 16 & constipation will be a complete pain in the arse! (pun intended!)
    I have found since I made the decision to study again I feel like a new person! Best time to make a change is now! & no more excuses allowed!

Take care & thanks for listening!
    Sam xxx
  • danielle ghilardi
    danielle ghilardi Member Posts: 204
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sam,

I am glad you had a nice time on your sons birthday.

Nursing sounds like a great idea. I think you would be a great nurse especially because you have been a science teacher, you must be very smart. Go for it.

I had considered nursing i still am i just am not in a position to be able to study full time at the moment financially. But like you i am probably just making up excuses for myself!!

I have been applying for very different jobs lately i want alot more out of life and i think a change in career paths will provide that for me.

I still have down times good days and bad days. I have also heard about the antidepresants but i just let my emotions go but always remember that its the chemo or the tamoxifen that is making me feel that way and in this bc world i am normal. I have also spoken to the phycologist at the hospital a few times when i thought i was going crazy ( it was chemical menapause, not fun) which was a really good place for me to vent and not have to worry about upsetting my mum or husband.

I hope that the constipation go's away. I love reading your blogs i like your humour!!

Let me know how everything go's.

Danielle xx

• Samhutto
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Merylee & Danielle! Danielle just to let you know about the financial side of studying nursing...it is a government funded course because of shortages and so I don't have to pay any upfront fees and they will take an extra 4% tax when I am earning over $40k to recover the debt. I am doing it through open universities online, so you could continue to work and study partime maybe as another option. Just something to think about. I think you have to be ready & I am so pleased to have made the decision, that I know it must be the right one! Dr phil says make a decision & live with it for a week and see how you feel, and it seems to have worked in my case!
    So many side affects from all the drugs I bet you feel like you're going crazy at times! Just tamoxifen does it to me without chemo!! Good the hospital phycologist helped you...we all need someone! I see a counsellor this Friday for a chat and am doing some meditation today too...need more practice!!
    Merylee no worries love about the fb message...nice having that forum too!
    Hope you both have a nice day & thanks for listening!
    Sam xxx
  • Samhutto
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Merylee & Danielle! Danielle just to let you know about the financial side of studying nursing...it is a government funded course because of shortages and so I don't have to pay any upfront fees and they will take an extra 4% tax when I am earning over $40k to recover the debt. I am doing it through open universities online, so you could continue to work and study partime maybe as another option. Just something to think about. I think you have to be ready & I am so pleased to have made the decision, that I know it must be the right one! Dr phil says make a decision & live with it for a week and see how you feel, and it seems to have worked in my case!
    So many side affects from all the drugs I bet you feel like you're going crazy at times! Just tamoxifen does it to me without chemo!! Good the hospital phycologist helped you...we all need someone! I see a counsellor this Friday for a chat and am doing some meditation today too...need more practice!!
    Merylee no worries love about the fb message...nice having that forum too!
    Hope you both have a nice day & thanks for listening!
    Sam xxx
  • danielle ghilardi
    danielle ghilardi Member Posts: 204
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sam, thanks for the info. I am definately going to look into it. 

Dr Phil is a wise man, i like that idea. I have had nursing in my head for about 6 months so i probably should do it. My kids would be very proud of me and i would be very proud of myself.

I am looking forward to tomorrow i am going out paddling with dragons abreast. i love it. Sundays are my favourite day now.

Hope you have a good weekend xx