Questions to ask / unknown

Options
Lake Mac
Lake Mac Member Posts: 7
I just turned 50 and had my first routine mammogram . I got a call back they'd noticed a cluster of microcalcifications.  Had more mammograms and ultrasound and they decided to do a vacuum assisted core biopsy (at the public breast clinic) during a 5hr appointment. I apparently have very dense breast. Nine days latter I received a call from a Doctor to tell me they had found cancer..... I didn't hear another word she said after that. A few minutes latter I got a call to say I was booked into see a surgeon in 13 days..... I received a letter a few days latter just said that I have a malignant lesion and that I'm booked in to see a surgeon.  Needless to say I'm extremely anxious about the unknown.
So I'm wondering what sort of questions do I ask the surgeon? My appointment is this Wednesday .
Kindly appreciated. 

Comments

• Mrs_H
    Mrs_H Member Posts: 102
    Options
    Hi @Lake Mac, welcome to the club no one wants to join. Have you got a My Journey Kit yet? There is some great information in there regarding questions to ask etc. I didn’t have any questions for my first surgeon visit. I just went in and absorbed what information I could. If you can, take someone with you who can also recall information. I would also grab a notebook to record any thoughts from the visit or the answers to any questions you may have.

The main question I had was how quickly did I have to make decisions for treatment. I didn’t want to rush into any surgery.  The surgeon will guide you. Good luck with the appointment. Jen xx. 
  • Lake Mac
    Lake Mac Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanx Jen! I will take a note book and I will take someone with me thats a good thought .
    I haven't got a my journey kit so I'll order one now.
    Thank you kindly x
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I think the first appointment is discussing surgery options.  Getting family history etc. You will be booked for surgery. It's after pathology back when all the choices start, chemo or not, hormone suppresants or not, radiotherapy or not. Your first appointment is about listening, taking down dates etc. and getting a breast care nurse who can help with the 100 questions that will come later. 

And yes...take a calm support person. Kath x
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    https//www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx  sorry hit the post comment before I had  finished 
    this is links for the my journey kit and to find a breast care nurse. 

Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    As to Breast care nurse - my surgeon had his own so I didn't need to apply to McGrath Foundation
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hi @Lake Mac, the Cancer Council has an excellent page called ‘Questions to ask your doctor’ http://www.cancer.org.au/about-cancer/after-a-diagnosis/questions-to-ask-your-doctor.html
    I used these during my first chemo appointment. I asked for printed copies of everything, and the doctor used drawings to make things clearer. You might just read through the questions for the future. 

My focus was on treatment choice, but it’s also worth asking about cost and gaps, and time frames. It’s worth taking someone with you for support. All the best with your treatment. Remember you are an important part of the decision making process and the team. A good doctor will make you feel included in the process. 
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Just remember all our breast cancers are different and our treatments that follow vary as well. The surgeon really can't tell the future too accurately until that biopsy and surgery is done and the pathology report comes back as to what sort of breast cancer it is. Thats why we only worry about each stage in treatment, step by step. There will be life afterwards, albeit a bit quirky. Best of luck with your treatment. <3
  • Tilly45
    Tilly45 Member Posts: 86
    Options
    I have found all of the above advise to be excellent. This is always a great place to find out about things you’re often wondering about even after you think you have asked all the right questions at appointments, nothing sounds silly here and everyone is so encouraging. Just remember, everyone is different and we all have various treatment options. Surgery is not an option for me as it won’t be of much benefit. I thought I knew what the oncologist would say regarding treatment but it was not the case. I have full trust in my medical team and here I think that combined with this fabulous forum have pulled me through. I know there is a long road ahead, just live in each day. Thinking of you.