Health Insurance

Options
maryroset1
maryroset1 Member Posts: 240
Hi to all the inspirational ladies out there.  Its been a little while since I have been on the forum, life has been pretty full on with work, home life, holidays, kids new school and after school stuff, all getting in the way.  To those of you recently diagnosed, trust me, life does return to normal !!
I am in the process of reviewing my health insurance, as I am sure many do at this time of year.  Our premiums have shot through the roof and will consider moving to another insurer if I find what I want at a cheaper premium.  I am a little unsure though of whether my breast cancer history will be used against me somehow if I move to a new health insurer.  I was diagnosed nearly 3 years ago so finished my active treatment ages ago and now on Arimidex.   If I have a recurrence in future, can I be told its a pre-existing condition and my hospital expenses not covered?  When I started asking questions about pre-existing conditions without providing specifics I was told they arent legally able to discuss this issue which made me think 'red flag'. Am I obliged to tell them of my breast cancer history or will they find this information out anyway.  Not sure what the process is for the new insurer but assume they get some sort of clearance from the old insurer.  I am sure that some of you may have dealt with these issues before and I am keen to hear about your experiences.  I want to make sure I am fully informed of the consequences of moving health insurers before I make the move.

Wishing all you lovely ladies a wonderful day and remember to keep smiling.  From experience I can tell you when you face your challenges one day at a time, you can move mountains. <3:)

Love to all

Maryrose

Comments

• Michelle_W
    Michelle_W Member Posts: 54
    Options
    Hi Maryrose,

I am with BUPA through a corporate plan as I work for the Education Department. I have had other companies trying to offer better premiums but they can't match them.  I have never had any of them ask about pre-existing conditions.

I think it is really unfair that we pay Medicare Levy, Private Health and then still thousands of dollars out of pocket for surgery and treatment.
  • maryroset1
    Options
    Yes i completely agree with you. My premiums this year for my family have increased to $5,500. It has become a luxury to have health insurance these days. If not for my history and being able to get the doctor's of your choice and attended to quickly, i would have left the system years ago. I guess i am concerned that moving insurers may make things difficult for mr down the track.
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    Its like being held ransom isnt it.lam exactly the same. Ive stuck with the same company but asked for a better plan and they were very helpful
  • maryroset1
    Options
    Yes i too have asked for a better plan but unfortunately i am not happy with what they have offered. They have designed their plans in such a way that if you exclude sonething you dont need anymore  you are also giving up stuff you may potentially need so ultimately in a no win situation. 
  • Ellie_BCNA
    Ellie_BCNA Member Posts: 10
    Options

Hi Maryrose, thank you for
    your question about switching private health insurance funds. You can
    certainly switch health funds after breast cancer: however, there may be a 12
    month waiting period where you might not be able to claim for pre-existing conditions
    like breast cancer. It would be a good idea to check this with any new health fund before changing for peace of mind.

Sometimes we recommend to
    women who want a breast reconstruction that they take out private health
    insurance, wait the 12 months, and then have their surgery in the private
    system. So it certainly is possible to get into a health fund after breast
    cancer: but it is always good to check with the new health fund so you can be
    sure what you are and aren’t covered for.