Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Perjeta itch

Options
JenoB
JenoB Member Posts: 11
edited February 2017 in Metastatic breast cancer
Hi guys. 
I've been on 3 weekly Perjeta and Herceptin for about 9 months now and have started suffering from nasty itching. 
While it is localised to my forearms mainly, it seems to be getting worse with each treatment (which will be ongoing for as long as it works!)
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this side effect, and found any relief. I'm currently taking a daily claratyne (as suggested by my onc) which helps a little, but looking for other ideas please!
Cheers, Jen xx
Tagged:

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Hi!  Can't help but just wanted to say Hello and I am sure someone will have suffered this and perhaps have a suggestion. 
  • JenoB
    Options
    Thanks Iserbrown. My onc tells me there are others in my boat, just trying to widen the net for possible solutions!
  • Marci
    Marci Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Hi Jen,
    I am on the same treatment as you. Plus denosumab for the mets on my spine. 
    The perjeta isn't giving me the side affect you mention. But I have a rash around my mouth that my doctor says is from the perjeta. I use a cortisone cream on the area often unfortunately. I hope you come up with a solution for the itch. X 
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hi Jen, haven't had the treatment you are on but did have a look and found this discussion on the subject :
    https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/6/topics/834274  Hope that you can get some ideas out of it and of course I'm sure your oncologist would be able to give indications of whether it is okay to take or not. All the best, let us know how you get on. Xx 
  • Jenny K
    Jenny K Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi Jen, wow! at last some one with the itch same as me thought I was going mad the only way for me was and is to ignore  it if I start to scratch it gets worse in the fore arms and back of neck. Have not mentioned this yet to my drs. But have been suffering for a couple of months I am on 3 wkly perjeta and herceptin as you are. If I find any clues to dealing with this itch will pass on.  Cheets Jenny 

• JenoB
    Options
    Hi Jenny K, thanks for responding. Sorry you have this annoying itch as well, though it is nice to know I'm not imagining it!
    i would definitely recommend the daily claratyne, I even tend to take another later in the day when it's really bad. 
    Will keep you posted if I find anything else. 
    Jen
  • Jenny K
    Options
    Hi Jen, I purchased a small packet of claratyne to see if it would help me and YES! YES! Thank you so much. Like you my treatment will continue for as long as it works when people ask about my regime I tell  them Im on it untill D day, you know dead defunked deceased most of the time I get a hearty laugh. Having a bone scan tomorrow to ck the mets so wish me luck. Lv to all Jenny 
  • JenoB
    Options
    So glad the claratyne is working for you! I forgot to mention that an ice pack also helps sometimes. 
    All the best for your scans. I'm usually fine until I have one, then the wait for results is excruciating! Good luck. 
    Jen xx
  • Jenny K
    Options
    Thanks Jen   I'm fairly confident all will be OK!!. 
  • jbarclay
    jbarclay Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Jen
    This is my first post since being diagnosed with MBC back in February 2016. But reading your post today made me feel ashamed for not contributing to the online discussions. So, here's my tuppence worth of advice.  I am currently on the same treatment as you and the itchy arms were unbearable at times. Application of cold packs was the only relief for me. I was also taking Frusemide (to shift excess fluid). I stopped the Frusemide and not long after the itchiness disappeared! Not sure if that was related or not but I now only get occasional itchiness that doesn't worsen when I scratch.  I also reduced the number of hot baths I was having (that was hard...I love my bath time).
    Good luck. I hope your situation improves with time as mine did. 
    Julie