The gift that keeps on giving

Options
Chorsell
Chorsell Member Posts: 464
edited May 2016 in Day to day

Hi all

i had been feeling reasonably positive and the thought of BC was mostly relegated to the back corner of my mind now that treatment is all over and I am just doing annual checkups - so it was a pretty good place to be.

i apologise in advance if what I am about to say makes you think about something you had not thought of....

Yes I have a daughter and yes she found a lump- 

Results today suggest that it is nothing nasty - however it's that sinking feeling - my mother had BC and so did i so  chances are even with the absence of the brca gene she is high risk... It's ok now. But reality suggests it's something that may raise its head in the future - me I can handle - her I am not so sure

regards

Chris

xx

Comments

• Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,195
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi Chris, sorry to hear you and your daughter have had to deal with this worry. I'm glad that all seems fine but as a mum to a daughter too (and with a mum who had breast cancer) it is something that I worry about as well. Jane xx

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited May 2016
    Options

Even with no family history, the thought does worry me for my 2 daughters. The only thing that helps me to feel better about this is that they will be so much more aware than I was.

At 47 I had no idea that I could have been having screening mammograms since the age of 40. I never saw bc as a major risk and was probably not as health conscious as I could have been.

I have been very open about my experience with my daughters (aged 18 and 20 when I was diagnosed) and they are so much more aware of the risk factors than I was (particularly at a young age). 

I cannot change what has happened but can take comfort that it has had a positive impact on their motivation to lead a healthy lifestyle. This has to be a good thing, even for their general health. 3 years later this is still having a positive effect. 

So glad that things were ok for your daughter Chris. 

Deanne xxx

• rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi Chris what a shock for you and your daughter. Hopefully because of your tip your daughter has found the lump early. I'm always reminding my daughter to make sure she has regular checks. I'm hoping I have instilled in her the need to be vigillent as she is now living in Hong Kong and also different in another country.

Yes bc just keeps giving, take care and sending you both a hug xxx

• San-Dee
    San-Dee Member Posts: 99
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi Chris,

Sorry your daughter had such a scare, but so glad she is fine.

I don't have a daughter, but I do have a sister who is 6 years younger than me and I am scared for her. My mum hasn't had BC and as far as going further back into family history, well from what we know there is no sign of it, but we can never be sure.

It was a severe blow to me and my family when I was diagnosed and it has been a huge learning curve for us all. I suppose the only positive thing I can say is that research and treatment has come so far over the years. I know women who had the same diagnoses 10 years ago and had a mastectomy ... no questions asked. I was fortunate enough to have my BC detected very early and my surgeon is so up to date on the latest technology people have been blown away when I described the process. 

I was also fortunate enough to be able to have the genetic testing to see if the usual chemotherapy which I was prescribed would be of any real benefit to me, and it came back in my favour.

I have a fantastic facility close to home where I am so well looked after I can't believe it.

Sure, this scourge on us all is no walk in the park and I have my bad days as well as my good, but I truly think I am, by far, a lot better off today than those who went before me. And it will get better for those who follow.

So, thank god your daughter has you for a mum who will be there for her all the way should she find herself following in your footsteps. And thank god for the research and progress that is made which, hopefully, one day will save us all this grief.

Take care, both of you.

Hugs

San-Dee

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi You!!!

I have to admit you gave me a very big scare at the start of your post.  Not to take anything away from the end of it either.  Just glad your daughter is ok as you say for now.

As a mother of a daughter I so get that feeling you must of had.  I would so much rather go through all I have been through than have my daughter go through it.

Sending you a huge cyber hug and wish it was in person.

Paula xxxxxxx

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited May 2016
    Options

I couldn't  think of anything worse. It must have been difficult waiting on results. It never leaves us I think. Kath.

• maryroset1
    maryroset1 Member Posts: 240
    edited May 2016
    Options

Know hoe you feel as this has crossed my mind too.

My mum and most of her side has had it, me too and hoping my 10 year old isnt as unlucky.

I have had to deal with the tough questions from her which have broken my heart. All smiles in front of her but i get quite teary when i think about what the future may hold for her.

I dont have the common genes but obviously something going on. I am taking part in  peter mac research program to closely look at this in the hope they can find and test for new genetic mutations. Its the least i can do which may help things for her.

Maryrose