Introduce yourself 2

Options
Cosette
Cosette Member Posts: 637
edited May 2016 in General discussion

The original thread died under its own weight so here's a new one :-)

Whether you're a new member or an old member, I'd like to get to you know a little better. If you've been here a while, we may know a bit about your diagnosis and your journey, but you are much more than your beast cancer. So, tell us a little about yourself. Do you have kids, grandkids? What do you like to do? What's your hidden talent?

I'll break the ice. I'm the Community Manager here so I spend a good chunk of my day reading your stories - never a dull day, I tell ya. I live with my wonderful partner and his dog, which is now my dog ;-) I like bushwalking and reading and I'm a student of the African drum (djembe). How about you?

Comments

• onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi there

so this is my first post. I'm not a fan usually of social network but have decided to join this group as an extra support network. I had a mammogram, ultrasound, and core biopsy last week and Friday was told that I have breast cancer. I am ER+ PR-HER2- so far that's all I know and am researching this. I had the choice to have conservative surgery and radiation or a total left side mastectomy which I've decided to do.

I've always had a few cysts in my left breast, and also have a fibroadenoma which is a benign thing too and have yearly scans for this reason but this outcome has blown me away as I didn't even notice it. I'm 43 and have no family history of breast cancer either. So I'm praying this is early stage apparently wont know that until I have my boob removed and the usual pathology so am waiting anxiously for my surgery next week. I am a nurse also which I'm thinking now is not a good thing as you can know too much, and I have also nursed some really lovely women post operatively in the medical centre where I work. So here's to us all having a good recovery. Looking forward to hearing from you all. Margie.

• Cosette
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi Margie. Welcome to the online network. I hope you find the info and support you're looking for. There are some resources here about the types of cancer and treatment that you might find helpful. Have you ordered a My Journey Kit?

• Jennybutter
    Jennybutter Member Posts: 156
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi Margie,

Firstly sorry to hear of your diagnosis.  Welcome to our fabulous network of beautiful people. When I was first diagnosed this was my go to place. A place where everyone understands because they have been there too,  knowing that the support and also the information is there to help you makes such a difference.

Wishing you all the very best with your surgery and treatments, please keep in touch.

Cheers Jen ?? ?? ?? xx 

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi I'm adean I'm 55 I'm a. Quality co ordinator educator in aged care which I've been in for 27 years I've been married for 34 years 2 girls 22 and 27 I have 4 dogs 2 cats I race greyhounds and harness horses . I love reading and exploring op shops. I'm the facilitator of the sth east and bayside social group at bcna.I was diagnosed in 2012

• Cook65
    Cook65 Member Posts: 733
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi Margie

welcome but I am sorry that you have had to join our ranks. Like you, I'm not a big fan of forums but there were times throughout my cancer treatment that this network of wonderful people was my life line. I wish you all the very best with your surgery and your journey ahead. Take care. Karen xox

• jackie 4
    jackie 4 Member Posts: 45
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi Everyone.  Like Margie I have only been diagnosed in the last week.  Have had various other scans and am awaiting their results on Tuesday. Have handled the breast cancer diagnosis but will be devastated if the scans come back saying it has spread elsewhere.  I am 57, married for the past 33 years and have four beautiful daughters and one daughter has three children. All very close .  Have been warmed by the amount of support from friends that have been told of my diagnosis. I know I need a complete mastectomy of my right breast but I am considering having both breast removed and was wondering what people's thoughts on this was ???  Was advised not to rush in to this decision but was considering having it both done at the same time. 

• Cosette
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi Jackie. Welcome to the online network. I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. You might be interested in the breast reconstruction group. I'm sure the ladies there will share their experiences with double mastectomies and help answer any questions you might have.

'Breast reconstruction' online group
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi!  I'm Christine but my post name is Iserbrown after my favourite chooks.  There is more to me than just my diagnosis.  My photo that I use at present is a statue called "Ring'O'Roses" and is situ in our local Cemetery, a place that I administer along with 10 other volunteers.

My treatment was a left breast mastectomy with some node clearance.  I have other niggles that are as a result of current treatment but I am well aware that the positives outweigh the negatives.  Today I will have another lymphatic drainage massage.

I live with my husband of 38 years on 10 acres and we have chooks, sheep and cows and a cat.  Did have dogs but couldn't bring myself to replace them as they were such an important part of our lives and we still miss them dearly, they were 18 and 19 when they passed.

I get comfort from this forum and hope that others do.  As we all know we are in this together and our experiences hopefully will help as others as others have helped me.

Take care

Christine xx

• jackie 4
    jackie 4 Member Posts: 45
    edited May 2016
    Options

Thanks Cosette.  Will check that out.  Thank you.