Newly diagnosed

Options
Glynnis
Glynnis Member Posts: 353
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed
Hi my name is Glynnis, I was diagnosed with breast cancer in December
2014, that was a shock in its self, I had the lump removed on January 9 th 2015, then found out it was
In my lymph nodes, ct scans and body scan the next week, then get told I have extensive bone disease,
We are devasted don't know where to go from here, anyone's help advice would be awesome at this stage
As we just don't know where to turn to to help us get through this and come to terms with it.
Tagged:

Comments

• Sarah54
    Sarah54 Member Posts: 164
    edited March 2015
    Options

My dear Glynnis a huge welcome to this site. I am sorry you have had to find us but now you have you will quickly become a member of a lovely caring family. The first part of journey is the worst and "this too shall past". You will be so miserable, frightened, sad and worried. This is normal. there are so many treatments out there available to help you fight and you will, we all do. Just because you now have cancer which does change your life it does not mean the end. Cancer changes us and most will agree inside for the better. It gives us time to really sort out what is important and it makes us sit back and smell the roses instead of rushing through life. My the end of to-day you will hear from many others on here all sending positive thoughts and cyber hugs. We are all in this together. I have been fighting for over a year now and have just been recently diagnosed with Stage 4 and matesteses in the head (tumour) and bone (one isolated behind my stermun). But this time last year I was devasted and thought the worst. Now I win each battle. I won't win the war but battles I will do and so can you. Stay on here and let off steam, cry, moan and ask for advise.

Today you are not going to die so chin up and best foot forward.

Cyber hugs love Sarah54

• Sarah54
    Sarah54 Member Posts: 164
    edited March 2015
    Options

My dear Glynnis a huge welcome to this site. I am sorry you have had to find us but now you have you will quickly become a member of a lovely caring family. The first part of journey is the worst and "this too shall past". You will be so miserable, frightened, sad and worried. This is normal. there are so many treatments out there available to help you fight and you will, we all do. Just because you now have cancer which does change your life it does not mean the end. Cancer changes us and most will agree inside for the better. It gives us time to really sort out what is important and it makes us sit back and smell the roses instead of rushing through life. My the end of to-day you will hear from many others on here all sending positive thoughts and cyber hugs. We are all in this together. I have been fighting for over a year now and have just been recently diagnosed with Stage 4 and matesteses in the head (tumour) and bone (one isolated behind my stermun). But this time last year I was devasted and thought the worst. Now I win each battle. I won't win the war but battles I will do and so can you. Stay on here and let off steam, cry, moan and ask for advise.

Today you are not going to die so chin up and best foot forward.

Cyber hugs love Sarah54

• Glynnis
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thankyou sarah54 your words are much appreciated, positiveness is a struggle at the moment but I will get it back sooner rather than later cyber hugs to you as well love Glynnis
  • Dorothy Parkes
    Dorothy Parkes Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2015
    Options

Dear Glynnis,

Your journey has begun. I was diagnosed in June last year, and had chemo first for 24 weeks before my surgery on 9th january and reduction on the other side.  I am so sorry to hear that your cancer seems to have metatised, but chemo can do wonders. My cancer was very large and multifocal and in my lymph nodes before chemo, but after chemo, there was only one small spot left and no lymph nodes affected.  Chemo is not nice but with a positive attitude you can do it.  One tip - take each day as it comes, for each day is blessing in itself.

Good luck with your future treatment.

• Glynnis
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thankyou Dorothy we are all in the same boat are we not,  I am thankful that there are people on here to chat to about what is happening to me and get there thoughts on things I hope you are well now Dorothy good luck with all your future treatments

• Glynnis
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thankyou Rosanne I have taken your advice on board and thankyou.
  • lynnemh
    lynnemh Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello Glynnis, I was diagnosed with breast cancer in April 2011. Tests proved that it was in my spine in several places, pelvis and left femur. The tumour had already spread into my chest wall so was inoperable. I thought that I was going to die soon and was very scared!

I was given 6 months of chemo which brought everything under control and stable. For the next two years I just took a daily Arimidex tablet. I retired from work, renovated my house and travelled to South America and Turkey. In 2013, I had 15 doses of radiation on the tumour as it had started to grow. that knocked it back into control so I travelled around Morocco and France. In July 2014, the CT scan showd some mets in my liver so I was put on chemo again. Another 6 months of Abraxane which again has got it under control. My oncologist has said that I can plan my next holiday which will be Greece in September.

It is almost 4 years since that first horrible diagnosis. All the things I worried about, pain, disability, death, have not come true. I enjoy my life. I deliver for Meals On Wheels each week, still sing in a choir and attend classes with U3A, walk my dog twice a day and go to yoga every week. Most of the time life is normal. When on chemo I get more tired than usual but not enough to stop me doing things. I make sure that I eat healthily and that I have some daily exercise. I try to make sure that I have a good nights sleep every night. I spend time with family and friends and try to be positive. This diagnosis is scary but not an immediate death sentence. Have hope for the future and be as positive as you can. 

Good luck, Lynne

• lynnemh
    lynnemh Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2015
    Options

/

• Dorothy Parkes
    Dorothy Parkes Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wow Lynne,

What a story of postivity and endurance! You are a positive role model.  As you said - stay positive as much as possible and treat the diagnosis as a small step on a longer journey.  I was recently on an abraxane trial for early stage breast cancer, and it whipped a very large area of malignancy. 

Good luck for the rest of your journey. Dorothy

• Glynnis
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wow Lynne I was so impressed to read what you have been through and come out the other side and your holidays sound awesome I wish you well for your future and your im being positve and now looking to the future abs looking to plan some holidays as well I appreciate your response thankyou
  • Klea
    Klea Member Posts: 84
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi,

I too have bone mets diagnosed in may 13. I take femara tablet daily and have xgeva injection monthly. I excersize daily eat well and generally feel good. I work and still do all the things i used too. Yes I worry yes i wish i di nt have it but I cant change it. I hear amazing stories of longevity with bone only meys this so lets just hope it happems for us too. Cheers and hang in there

• Glynnis
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thankyou I hope everything goes well for you