treatment decisions
55 TopicsPredict - Breast Cancer app
I’ve just discovered an app called ‘Predict - Breast Cancer’. I may be late to the party on this one and you might all know about it but I’d like to know your opinions if you’ve used it and if you’ve discussed it with your oncologists. It strongly recommends that patients use this tool in consultation with their doctor. The app’s blurb says: “This tool applies to women who have had surgery for early invasive breast cancer and are deciding which other treatments to have.” ”Predict is a tool that helps show how breast cancer treatments after surgery might improve survival rates. Once details about the patient and their cancer have been entered, the tool will show how different treatments would be expected to improve survival rates up to 15 years after diagnosis. This is based on data from similar women in the past. It is important to note that these treatments have side effects which should also be considered when deciding on a treatment.” It claims: ”Development of the model was a collaborative project between the Cambridge Breast Unit, University of Cambridge Department of Oncology and the UK's Eastern Cancer Information and Registration Centre (ECRIC) (now part of the National Cancer Registration and Analysis Service) and was supported by an unrestricted educational grant from Pfizer Limited (the company had no input into the model at all). The website has been built by the Winton Centre for Risk & Evidence Communication at the University of Cambridge who are funded by a generous donation from the David and Claudia Harding Foundation and the Winton Charitable Foundation. Predict has been endorsed by the American Joint Committee on Cancer.” This is a link to the app: https://breast.v3.predict.cam/tool56Views1like5CommentsWaiting, waiting, waiting….
Hi all, diagnosed 1st September, multifocal invasive lobular carcinoma. Surgeons appt scheduled for 17 September. Surgeon has referred me for an mri with contrast. The surgeon completed my biopsies (3) in breast screen clinic, so I’ve met her. My biggest question now is how long do you wait for the mri apointment? They acknowledge receipt of ‘urgent referral’ on 2nd of September and now it’s the 10th, they’re telling me they are waiting on ‘protocols’, my breast care nurse is wonderful and is following it up along with me, how long did you all wait? I thought I was coping not too bad, but today it all just seems really cruel……?123Views1like10CommentsMonash Health or Peter Mac
Hi I had gone private when first diagnosed with 1 lump and treatment would be lumpdectomy and radiation. Then after an MRI, results showed multifocal in the other breast too. The treatments, and surgery both sides, the out of pocket cost is so high. I would not be able to afford an immediate reconstruction or any private reconstruction. I am in Melbourne and would like to know anyone's experience with Monash and Peter Mac around having a double mastectomy and reconstruction please. I have booked with my GP on Monday to organise an urgent referral. Any experiences would be very helpful. Thanks everyone.62Views0likes3CommentsFirst appointment with a surgeon
So my first appointment with a surgeon is this coming Wednesday. I am going through a public system in Brisbane. Will I be having any tests done on the same day or is it more likely that he will tell me to come back and get the tests done another day ? He’s got my mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy results already. Thank you!66Views0likes4CommentsDiscussion about surgery with Surgeon
Hi all, I have been diagnosed with invasive breast cancer and I have my first meeting with the surgeon on Thursday. I know to expect surgery soon but dont know if this will be lumpectomy or mastectomy. I know that this will be one of the things to discuss on Thursday but I am curious if there is a 'choice' - in a sense part of me just wants to be told which option but I wondered if anyone here made a decision one way or the other and how they felt about that? Am also putting this query in the treatment thread as I have not posted before and not sure which is better for this. Thanks for any thoughts.218Views2likes17CommentsTriple Positive HER2+
Hi everyone BCNA Online Network established a Group with Triple Positive breast cancer which is useful also for people who might be HER2+ but not positive for oestrogen or progesterone. This post is also to alert previously accepted Triple Positive Group members: you might not have been automatically transferred across to the Triple Positive Group with the recent upgrade to the new BCNA Network site. Please do request to rejoin the Group (I did)! Ned01CheriSukiCheriAnna15FeRnurserachMareealsoTriplebreast240Number2CaitySXC1947528Views3likes19CommentsSecond Opinion
Hello 🌸 I’m just wondering if anyone had a second opinion before proceeding with surgery? each time I email the Drs clinic, I feel like I’m fobbed off & just told I have to have surgery (I’m ok with that if all my questions are answered and they haven’t been) not sure how to go about seeking another opinion. Any suggestions?128Views0likes3CommentsMaitland Public or Private Hospitals?
Has anyone here had treatment in Maitland Private or Maitland Public Hospitals? Financial constraints are pushing me towards the Public System but we do have Private Health Insurance so could go Private but the out of pocket expenses are huge or unknown.81Views0likes7CommentsBrie321
Hi recently I had my first yearly mammogram following lumpectomy and radiation for stage one IDC. Unfortunately the radiologist found calcifications. I was therefore referred for a vacuum assisted biopsy via mammogram. This was done 3 weeks after finding the calcifications it was difficult to find a radiologist to carry this out. The night of the biopsy I had a major bleed into the breast. I was admitted to hospital for 3 days and no treatment given. Both the doctors in the ER and my breast surgeon stated they hadn't seen anything like this before. Now 3 weeks later I have 3 large haematomas in my breast and I cannot proceed with the lumpectomy my surgeon wants to carry out on the the intermediate grade dcis I was diagnosed with. My dilemma is do I ask the surgeon to evacuate the clots. My breast is so deformed and heavy it would be a relief to do something about it. My surgeon is seeking advice from colleagues. I think if I wait for it to absorb it will take a very long time. Has anyone else gone through this. I have a lot of pressure in the breast and concerned what it might do to underlying tissue.. Thanks for reading this far.171Views1like9CommentsRecommendations-North Brisbane -Public v Private- Surgeons
Hi Everyone, I do hope everyone is travelling as well as they can be. Was hoping to hear of experiences and recommendations about Public v Private -North Brisbane. My GP has advised if I choose to go private then I need to find surgeon and they can send referral. Not sure where to start…have rang some surgeons, am feeling like I am looking for a needle in a haystack. Has anyone had experiences with going private and having significant out of pocket expenses? Or going Public and what wait times/facilities are like, that they are comfortable in sharing. Preliminary advice is that it is likely treatment will be Chemotherapy then surgery, nothing confirmed until appointment with surgeon.550Views0likes11Comments