Forum Discussion
kato79
2 years agoMember
New to this and a bit lost
Hello, I am a 44 year old woman, wife & mum who was told last night over a phone call that I have a grade 2 ductal cancer that is Estrogen sensitive. I need to make an appointment for either this week or next to discuss my options. I can opt for a lumpectomy and radiation or due to strong family history a double mastectomy with a reconstruction. I would like to get other peoples experiences or thoughts on this. I will be getting gene testing as well but know my sister tested new to the two she was tested for over 10 years ago
Im scared and a bit lost at the moment. I don't know how to tell my children (they are 24,19& 16) or others really. Im not sure where to start.........
Im scared and a bit lost at the moment. I don't know how to tell my children (they are 24,19& 16) or others really. Im not sure where to start.........
14 Replies
- June1952MemberHi @kato79 - just sit back and take a breath. One day at a time. It might be a good idea to wait until you have some more info so you can tell your family at the same time that there is a plan. It is an awful time of the year to get that news and you don't want to stress them or yourself too much. Due to the festive season many specialists do take time off so you may not get treatment too quickly so try to relax until you have more information.
Do join the Reconstruction group, a private group on here, as there is a heap of info there as well as stories and photos. Your options for reconstruction will depend on different factors so read up and have questions ready for your medical team.
This is the link to the group so apply to join:
https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/1-choosing-breast-reconstruction
You are stronger than you think and will get through this - come on here with questions and to get support or just to vent.
Thinking of you 💖💖 - PrisMay1Memberso sorry to hear you’ve joined our club!! My advice would be to not get too far ahead of yourself. See what your surgeon suggests as a way forward. Mine first suggested a mastectomy but I didn’t want so we went with a lumpectomy. 6 months later and armed with more information I’m considering a double mastectomy and reconstruction. There is time to make a decision. There will most likely be other treatment you will need to have.There’s lots of info here and I have found it extremely helpful.