Hi this is my first post

Options
mrsakw
mrsakw Member Posts: 2
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

Hi there,

My name is Amy and I am 37yrs old with 2 beautiful little girls 2 & 4 (an a very supportive husband). I am from Adelaide.

I was just diagnosed with breast cancer last week and am having a mastectomy this friday. I have a total of 4 cancerous lesions in the R breast. Initially, I thought i had a blocked duct or breastfeeding related issue as I was still feeding my little one ... turns out not to be the case. I am trying not to regret not getting it looked at sooner. That said I did have it ultrasounded earlier in the year and it was all apparently ok.

To be honest I am quite scared of what lies ahead and thought I would jump on this forum to see how others have gone before me.

looking forward to being part of the chat!

Amy

Comments

• jennywren
    jennywren Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Amy, welcome to this site where I know from experience you will receive lots of support. We have all either been where you are now, or currently there and whilst no two stories are the same we all have one thing in common and that is we have been diagnosed with BC.

I am sorry to hear it has come into your life at an early age, I was 49 when I was diagnosed and underwent a mastectomy, chemo and radiotherapy. Don't ever beat yourself up for not getting something looked at sooner. We all tend to do that but you can't change the current situation so you just have to move forward and work with your medical team to get the best possible outcome.

A mastectomy affects everyone differently. For me personally it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I chose not to have reconstruction. That is also a very personal choice.

The best advice I can give you is to remember each persons journey is different. You have to do what is right for you and what you are comfortable with. I wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery and am always here if you need to talk, vent, ask questions

Warm regards xx
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As jennywren said,we are all different in our journeys,but we have a common thread,There will always be someone on here that has had just the same as you. Have,when it comes to treatment,side effects etc.so feel free to ask away if you need ANY advice at all.I had a mastectomy 12 months ago.It was nowhere near as bad as I feared.The pain( what pain) was minimal,and I only ever took Panadol afterwards.After about 4 weeks I was pretty much back to normal,and my arm movement was as good as new.Take it one step at a time.because if you look ahead,it is often the case that things change and you have been worrying for nothing.Stay in touch,and remember that most ladies these days go on to lead long healthy lives after BC.It is a bump in the road;) Cheersxox Robyn
  • Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015
    Options

Sorry to hear you have been diagnosed but welcome to this website. I can understand you being scared, it's a scary thing when faced with it. Robyn is right in saying to take one step at a time, when you look far ahead it can be daunting. I was diagnosed last September, had a lumpectomy performed, then chemo, radiation and now hormone therapy. I started back at work this week for some short shifts at first and I'm feeling great. I suffer from depression and anxiety which didn't help going through the process, but I made it. It's not always a pleasant journey but it is certainly doable. I wish you all the best for your mastectomy on Friday, stay in touch and let us know how you are, 

Hazel xx

• Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015
    Options

Sorry to hear you have been diagnosed but welcome to this website. I can understand you being scared, it's a scary thing when faced with it. Robyn is right in saying to take one step at a time, when you look far ahead it can be daunting. I was diagnosed last September, had a lumpectomy performed, then chemo, radiation and now hormone therapy. I started back at work this week for some short shifts at first and I'm feeling great. I suffer from depression and anxiety which didn't help going through the process, but I made it. It's not always a pleasant journey but it is certainly doable. I wish you all the best for your mastectomy on Friday, stay in touch and let us know how you are, 

Hazel xx

• mrsakw
    mrsakw Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wow, thankyou all for your kind words and thankyou that it is a place where i can express my thoughts and fears. My guts are totally churning tonight as I wait for tomorrows surgery. I am so scared (not of the surgery but what they will find). I explained to my 4 y.o tonight that I was going into hospital tomorrow for an operation, she smiled and said "just like Miffy" (who goes in to get her tonsils out) my 2 y.o is obviously oblivious to it all. I think my greatest fear is not being around for my children, I lost my mum when I was 5 and have virtually no memory of her.

Man, they seriously need to offer you a pre-med the night before to calm the nerves. I know most of you have been there already so its so reassuring to read your posts after the event.

I hope to be encouraging other women a few months down the track.