Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

My partner has secondary breast cancer

Seaniedunnie
Seaniedunnie Member Posts: 7
edited September 2016 in Metastatic breast cancer

Hi,

As the title explains, my partner Shelagh has very recently been diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in the bones and liver. We moved to Adelaide 6 months ago from the UK with our two boys, (5 & 13 yrs).

Shelagh was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2011 and had a left masectomy with chemotherapy and radiotherapy. A reconstruction in 2013 hearalded the start of a new life, that has come crashng down at our feet.

We moved from the UK to follow my dream, but find ourselves far from what was safe and familiar. Just writing this pains me to think I have dragged her away from such support.

We begin chemotherapy on Friday at Flinders cancer centre, which gives us some ray of hope and the possibility to fight. From there though who knows.

Sorry to be so down, and I haven't got the disease, but needed to say something somehwere.

Thank you,
Sean

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    I am so sorry that you, Shelagh and your families are facing this. As you say chemotherapy can at least give you hope. There are many women living with this chronic disease and where there is life there is hope. I hope that the doctors can help Shelagh and I hope along with all the many, many people who have been touched by this disease that a cure is not too far away.

Please know that you need never feel alone. This network is here for those diagnosed and their families. We are always here to listen when you have something you need to say. Take care and my thoughts are with you and Shelagh as you tackle this next challenge. Wishing you all the best. Deanne xxx
  • Pamelamary
    Pamelamary Member Posts: 240
    edited March 2015

Dear Sean,

I am sorry to hear your story about your partner Shelagh.  I was rediagnosed almost 3 years ago, with liver and bone mets also, and can understand the devastation you must both be experiencing now.

The important thing to hang on to is that statistics don't tell us anything abut the individual. There are many of us living well with advanced disease, and while the treatment is seldom pleasant, there are many options available.

I know there is some active support through this site in Adelaide, and you should get response from your other post.

Best wishes..... Pam

• Pamelamary
    Pamelamary Member Posts: 240
    edited March 2015

Dear Sean,

I am sorry to hear your story about your partner Shelagh.  I was rediagnosed almost 3 years ago, with liver and bone mets also, and can understand the devastation you must both be experiencing now.

The important thing to hang on to is that statistics don't tell us anything abut the individual. There are many of us living well with advanced disease, and while the treatment is seldom pleasant, there are many options available.

I know there is some active support through this site in Adelaide, and you should get response from your other post.

Best wishes..... Pam

• lynnemh
    lynnemh Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2015

Hi Sean, Secondary cancer is not an immediate death sentence. My first diagnosis of breast cancer in 2011 included secondaries in the bones, several bones. Chemo for 6 months brought it under control and I had three years without any symptoms or problems. My treatment was a daily hormone pill and a monthly injection to strengthen my bones. During that time I travelled around South America, Turkey, Morocco and France.

Two months ago some secondaries were found in my liver and I am back on chemo therapy. I had one month less than three years without chemo or problems. I know this will knock the cancer back into control again and I will be able to travel again.

What is hard for you is that you are far away from family and friends. Dealing with an unknown country, different cancer treatments without the security of friends is hard. Dealing with your guilt at dragging your partner away from her family is harder. But you will manage because you have too. Rest assured that cancer treatment in Australia is great. We have great longevity results for patients with secondary cancer. This website can help you reach out to others and express your fears and the staff at the treatment center can help too. 

Be strong and positive. Lynne

• lynnemh
    lynnemh Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2015

Hi Sean, Secondary cancer is not an immediate death sentence. My first diagnosis of breast cancer in 2011 included secondaries in the bones, several bones. Chemo for 6 months brought it under control and I had three years without any symptoms or problems. My treatment was a daily hormone pill and a monthly injection to strengthen my bones. During that time I travelled around South America, Turkey, Morocco and France.

Two months ago some secondaries were found in my liver and I am back on chemo therapy. I had one month less than three years without chemo or problems. I know this will knock the cancer back into control again and I will be able to travel again.

What is hard for you is that you are far away from family and friends. Dealing with an unknown country, different cancer treatments without the security of friends is hard. Dealing with your guilt at dragging your partner away from her family is harder. But you will manage because you have too. Rest assured that cancer treatment in Australia is great. We have great longevity results for patients with secondary cancer. This website can help you reach out to others and express your fears and the staff at the treatment center can help too. 

Be strong and positive. Lynne

• Seaniedunnie
    edited March 2015

Thankyou so much to all that have responded. All of your stories, advice and thoughts mean facing the unknown that bit easier. We have always lived with the prospect of a return since the original diagnosis, but its not something you want to dwell on.

Its inspiring to hear what you have all shared, and I already know Shelagh is strong otherwise we would never have got through the first experience. I suppose I doubt my own strength to make sure Shelagh always has somewhere to fall back too, but thats the challenge ahead!

At some point we will find the push to meet some of you face to face, and hopefully offer something back from our journey. Will keep you all updated and look forward to offering something in return.

Thanks again

Sean 

• Seaniedunnie
    edited March 2015

Thankyou so much to all that have responded. All of your stories, advice and thoughts mean facing the unknown that bit easier. We have always lived with the prospect of a return since the original diagnosis, but its not something you want to dwell on.

Its inspiring to hear what you have all shared, and I already know Shelagh is strong otherwise we would never have got through the first experience. I suppose I doubt my own strength to make sure Shelagh always has somewhere to fall back too, but thats the challenge ahead!

At some point we will find the push to meet some of you face to face, and hopefully offer something back from our journey. Will keep you all updated and look forward to offering something in return.

Thanks again

Sean