Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Xeloda

sue lonie
sue lonie Member Posts: 12
edited September 2016 in Metastatic breast cancer

Hi,

Today I started on Xeloda and am worried about side effects. Earlier this year I found I had more metastes in my hip and collar bone. The Oncologist put me on Everolimus and I was unable to tolerate it. I ended up in hospital for 10 days. I would love to hear from other people who are on Xeloda.

Comments

• TraceyK
    TraceyK Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2015

Hi Sue

I've been on Xeloda for a few months now and haven't looked back.  I haven't had any of the side effects so far.  I do have the odd day of feeling blah but they are few and far between.  My Cancer Cell count has dropped drastically and my Oncologist and I are extremely happy with that,  I started using MooGoo Udder Cream straight away in case my feet and hands became red and peeled etc as the information sheet had it as a side effect.  So far so good, no redness or peeling anywhere.  I hope you have as much good luck as me on this drug :)

• TraceyK
    edited March 2015

Hi Sue

I've been on Xeloda for a few months now and haven't looked back.  I haven't had any of the side effects so far.  I do have the odd day of feeling blah but they are few and far between.  My Cancer Cell count has dropped drastically and my Oncologist and I are extremely happy with that,  I started using MooGoo Udder Cream straight away in case my feet and hands became red and peeled etc as the information sheet had it as a side effect.  So far so good, no redness or peeling anywhere.  I hope you have as much good luck as me on this drug :)

• TraceyK
    edited March 2015

Hi Sue

• Smiley Ky
    Smiley Ky Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2015

Hi Sue, hope you are doing well.

I was on Xeloda for ten months and tolerated it well. My hands and feet turned really red, sore and began to peel. I highly recommend good foot creams, foot massages, tonnes of slippers and gloves. My hair did thin as well but not too bad. My tumor markers went down dramatically but I stopped Xeloda because I m now on a trial drug. Good luck and wish you all the best xx

• BC
    BC Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Hi Sue, I was on xeloda for about 14 months, my markers went down dramatically as well. Unfortunately my oncologist had to stop it because my feet, arms and legs were so red and painful I could hardly lie in bed or shower as they stung so much. I also got the runs pretty bad. My oncologist decided that I developed a toxicity to it. So I am now back on Iv chemo. Having said all that, I know quite a few ladies on xeloda and apart from some hand and foot syndrome they are tolerating it very well. I hope the same goes for you.
    Stay positive
    Ps I also found moo goo terrific.
  • Julie Bache
    Julie Bache Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2015

Hi Sue. I have, too, just started xeloda. Just beginning 2nd cycle. A few minor irratations with feet and fingertips and quite bad dry, cracked and sore bottom lip. Found the moo goo excellent for all these. Also making me quite tired and white cell count down a little. But just have to learn to take it easy!! As I start second cycle I am finding I have irratated, watery eyes. Not sure what to do about this yet!! All in all, quite tolerable so far. Fingers crossed.

Hope you find it tolerable too. Julie. xx  

• Julie Bache
    Julie Bache Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2015

Hi Sue. I have, too, just started xeloda. Just beginning 2nd cycle. A few minor irratations with feet and fingertips and quite bad dry, cracked and sore bottom lip. Found the moo goo excellent for all these. Also making me quite tired and white cell count down a little. But just have to learn to take it easy!! As I start second cycle I am finding I have irratated, watery eyes. Not sure what to do about this yet!! All in all, quite tolerable so far. Fingers crossed.

Hope you find it tolerable too. Julie. xx  

• Kerryn Swain
    Kerryn Swain Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015

I've just finished the tablets of 2nd cycle of Zeloda, having ct scan and seeing oncologist end of next week to see if effective.  I too got really sick a few months ago on Everolimus, had a week in hospital.  My feet seem to be fine but my hands are really dry and sensitive.

• Kerryn Swain
    Kerryn Swain Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015

I've just finished the tablets of 2nd cycle of Zeloda, having ct scan and seeing oncologist end of next week to see if effective.  I too got really sick a few months ago on Everolimus, had a week in hospital.  My feet seem to be fine but my hands are really dry and sensitive.

• Amy
    Amy Member Posts: 233
    edited March 2015

Hi Sue

I haven't been on Xeloda (yet).  I think it is one of the next options the onc suggested if my current treatment doesn't work out.  I'm on Everolimus/Exemestane (excuse spelling) at the moment.  I've had bad ulcers but these have cleared up and also has attributed to lymphoedema in my right arms and swelling in my ankles.  What side effects did you experience?  Sorry to hear you ended up in hospital.  This is certainly a rollercoaster ride - a shame we can't opt to get off of it!

Good luck with Xeloda.  I hope you get good results for a long time.

Amy x

• Amy
    Amy Member Posts: 233
    edited March 2015

Hi Sue

I haven't been on Xeloda (yet).  I think it is one of the next options the onc suggested if my current treatment doesn't work out.  I'm on Everolimus/Exemestane (excuse spelling) at the moment.  I've had bad ulcers but these have cleared up and also has attributed to lymphoedema in my right arms and swelling in my ankles.  What side effects did you experience?  Sorry to hear you ended up in hospital.  This is certainly a rollercoaster ride - a shame we can't opt to get off of it!

Good luck with Xeloda.  I hope you get good results for a long time.

Amy x

• sue lonie
    edited March 2015

Thanks for all your replies. I have been on it for 8 days now and so far so good, except for diarhea. I had it from the Everolimus and was just getting over it and back it came. I am also seeing a gastroentorologist re diarhea and she has put me on Questran, which seems to be doing the trick.

• sue lonie
    edited March 2015

Hi Amy,

I had low white, red and platelet count and an ulcer on my tongue, which was disgusting, I couldn't put anything in my mouth without having something to numb the pain. The Onc. had lowered the dosage twice and I still had shocking side effects and my bony count went up, so it was no longer doing anything positive. It took 8 weeks for my blood count to come back to normal.

• wendy_h67
    wendy_h67 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 466
    edited March 2015

Hi, Sue,

I am also just starting Xeloda today.  So far so good, but early days yet.  I had a lot of problems with rashes and blisters with the Abraxane IV chemo that i was on previously.  It did settle down and I found the Moo Goo helped.  It was also good for my grand daughters exma.

Wendy 

• wendy_h67
    wendy_h67 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 466
    edited March 2015

Hi, Sue,

I am also just starting Xeloda today.  So far so good, but early days yet.  I had a lot of problems with rashes and blisters with the Abraxane IV chemo that i was on previously.  It did settle down and I found the Moo Goo helped.  It was also good for my grand daughters exma.

Wendy