Newly Diagnosed

Options
ChickenWillow
ChickenWillow Member Posts: 7
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed
Well, this is been the strangest few weeks of my life to say the least!

24/7/13 - sore lymph nodes in left armpit

25/7/13 - felt lump in left breast

26/7/13 - GP appointment

29/7/13 - Ultrasound and mammogram and told it was very likely cancer

30/7/13 - Biopsies done on lump and lymph nodes

2/8/13 - Diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Provisional Grade 2 (19x17x19mm). Oestrogen receptor negative, progesterone receptor negative, HER2 positive. Lymph node involvment.

9/8/13 - Appointment with surgeon to discuss treatment. Booked in for surgery on 21/8/13 but yet to decide between lumpectomy with radiation and mastectomy (with slight chance that radiation would be needed). Surgery will involve axillary clearance.

Needless to say I am doing lots of reading. I have an appointment with the radiation guy on Tuesday to discuss side effects etc so that should help with the decision. I am confident I have one of the best medical teams around so not worried about that at all.

Wish me luck!
Hannah (laughing me way through all this!)

Comments

• pisces_tas
    pisces_tas Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wow, you have more calmness than I had ! Willow.. I like that bendable, adaptable.. you will need to be adaptable for sure. Chicken.. is ok too. It is normal under the circumst ances! I went into total shock.. Panic anxiety, maybe denial too in some ways.I also  tried to find info.. to allay my anxiety, and what was best decision for me. My surgeon.. really told me.. we will do a lumpectomy, axillary node clearance, then chemotherapy.. 6 months, and radiation 6 weeks. I am thinking in my head....." OMG.. this cannot be happening. "

Take someone with you, as the shock will set in..at some point.

I was 42. Maybe a lumpectomy and breast conserving treatment is best for you, or a mastectomy...

It is good to have faith in the medical team.. I agree and to get as much info as possible, to feel like you' re doing the best for you. I was oestrogen receptor negative, progesterone receptor negative, but I am not sure if I was HER 2 positive.. I might have been .I have lost my path report.

I had 11 lymph nodes out and one had cancer.. I was grade 2 early breast cancer and tumour size was 2 to 3 cm I think.  I too felt a lump/ sore spot, on the top of my  right breast.

I did not have to take tamoxifen afterwards, but did go into early menopuase at 42. I am now 57.. I have slowed down somewhat, and still think of BC every day, but it can fade into the background somewhat in time.  I did a bit much with my arm..too early.. so take it sowly, gently, carefully for 6 to 12 months afterwards, at least.. Listen to how you feel and go with it.. Ask for help if you need to, which you will..at some point.

For now, I wish you all the best. The treatments are more targeted, than when I went through. Hit it hard.. cross your fingers, trust in your team, but also listen to your own body and thoughts.... Breathe...in... breathe outtttttttttttttttt.  :D

Kathy.

• pisces_tas
    pisces_tas Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wow, you have more calmness than I had ! Willow.. I like that bendable, adaptable.. you will need to be adaptable for sure. Chicken.. is ok too. It is normal under the circumst ances! I went into total shock.. Panic anxiety, maybe denial too in some ways.I also  tried to find info.. to allay my anxiety, and what was best decision for me. My surgeon.. really told me.. we will do a lumpectomy, axillary node clearance, then chemotherapy.. 6 months, and radiation 6 weeks. I am thinking in my head....." OMG.. this cannot be happening. "

Take someone with you, as the shock will set in..at some point.

I was 42. Maybe a lumpectomy and breast conserving treatment is best for you, or a mastectomy...

It is good to have faith in the medical team.. I agree and to get as much info as possible, to feel like you' re doing the best for you. I was oestrogen receptor negative, progesterone receptor negative, but I am not sure if I was HER 2 positive.. I might have been .I have lost my path report.

I had 11 lymph nodes out and one had cancer.. I was grade 2 early breast cancer and tumour size was 2 to 3 cm I think.  I too felt a lump/ sore spot, on the top of my  right breast.

I did not have to take tamoxifen afterwards, but did go into early menopuase at 42. I am now 57.. I have slowed down somewhat, and still think of BC every day, but it can fade into the background somewhat in time.  I did a bit much with my arm..too early.. so take it sowly, gently, carefully for 6 to 12 months afterwards, at least.. Listen to how you feel and go with it.. Ask for help if you need to, which you will..at some point.

For now, I wish you all the best. The treatments are more targeted, than when I went through. Hit it hard.. cross your fingers, trust in your team, but also listen to your own body and thoughts.... Breathe...in... breathe outtttttttttttttttt.  :D

Kathy.

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Hannah

Welcome but it is a bugger you have to be here.

From your post it looks like you have been through a recent whirlwind but it is great that it has all happened so quickly.  Little time for thinking and worrying.  I hope you have received your My Journey Kit from BCNA which will be a wonderful assistance to you for treatment etc.  

You seem to have a good attitude and a great sense of humour which are two things that will help you through your travels if and should you hit some bumpy roads and pot holes.  

Some tips are take it day by day,hour by hour if you need to, look after your health very well as your body needs to be as strong as it can, reach out for any love and support that is around you, support groups can be very helpful to help you feel you have people around you who know what you are going through.  You can call on your new BCNA sisters now any time you need us. There is some wonderful groups set up on this BCNA website which you can become a part of.  BCNA has so much information available to you through their resources at the bottom of this page.  The groups can befound at the right side of the page.  If there are certain subjects you want to read about just type it in to the search button up the top and it will bring up previous posts with those words in it that relate to what you want to know.  There is so much that BCNA can do to help.

You are so very lucky to have such confidence in your medical team as that can be a great battle on it's own so that is a huge plus for you.

Keep on trucking kiddo and keep that smile happenin.  Smile and the world smiles with you.

Lots of love always, Mich xoxoxoxoxo 

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Hannah

Welcome but it is a bugger you have to be here.

From your post it looks like you have been through a recent whirlwind but it is great that it has all happened so quickly.  Little time for thinking and worrying.  I hope you have received your My Journey Kit from BCNA which will be a wonderful assistance to you for treatment etc.  

You seem to have a good attitude and a great sense of humour which are two things that will help you through your travels if and should you hit some bumpy roads and pot holes.  

Some tips are take it day by day,hour by hour if you need to, look after your health very well as your body needs to be as strong as it can, reach out for any love and support that is around you, support groups can be very helpful to help you feel you have people around you who know what you are going through.  You can call on your new BCNA sisters now any time you need us. There is some wonderful groups set up on this BCNA website which you can become a part of.  BCNA has so much information available to you through their resources at the bottom of this page.  The groups can befound at the right side of the page.  If there are certain subjects you want to read about just type it in to the search button up the top and it will bring up previous posts with those words in it that relate to what you want to know.  There is so much that BCNA can do to help.

You are so very lucky to have such confidence in your medical team as that can be a great battle on it's own so that is a huge plus for you.

Keep on trucking kiddo and keep that smile happenin.  Smile and the world smiles with you.

Lots of love always, Mich xoxoxoxoxo 

• ChickenWillow
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Kathy,

Thanks for your message. So much to take in isn't it. A very steep learning curve. After further tests Ive decided on the lumpectomy with chemo and radiation. Will take one step at a time though.
    Hannah
    xx
  • ChickenWillow
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Deanne,

Thanks for your message. I agree with you regarding reading up on all the things the doctors are recommending. I feel like I'm back at school studying for a big exam!
    Hannah
    xx
  • ChickenWillow
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Mich,

Thanks for your lovely welcome. Its great to know there are people around willing to give advice and support. I found another Mum from my daughters class who went through it all a couple of years ago so it will be nice being able to bounce questions off her as well.
    Cheers,
    Hannah
    xx
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Somehow your post has ended up on this thread. You will find it is better to post on your own blog as this is then posted to the general network site and everyone can see it. Only people who have commented on this thread will get to see this comment at the moment.

I am sorry you are not feeling great. I can answer most of your questions, I think. Everyone reacts a bit different to Chemo but I have had the same course as you are having, 3 FEC and then 3 D. I am just 2 weeks away from last D.

I found it took about a week for me to recover from each dose. A bit longer for D. The exhaustion settles after day 5 for me. The redness on your face and chest is usually a reaction to the DEX steriod medication that you take for first couple of days after Chemo. The exhaustion can also be a result of coming off the steriod high and feeling the impact of the Chemo. Mention any side effects you have to your doctor and nurses before next Chemo. Most people seem to start to loose their hair about 2 weeks after first FEC. Your head may feel like it is burning and your hair will start to feel course before it falls out. It took mine about a week to totally fall out. I found it easier and more comfortable to have it shaved once it started to go. Less mess!

Hope this helps. Take care and hope you feel better soon.
    Deanne xx