Free movie pass giveaway: Love Is All You Need

Options
Thea
Thea Member Posts: 54
edited December 2012 in Community news and events

Post edited: 14/12/2012

LAST CHANCE! Make sure you submit your experience by Sunday 16 December for your chance to win free movie pass to: Love Is All You Need.

To celebrate the launch of the new film Love Is All You Need, Madman Films are generously giving away 20 double passes for the film to BCNA members.

Pierce Brosnan and Trine Dyrholm star in this Danish romantic comedy about two very different families brought together for a wedding in a beautiful old Italian villa. The main character, Ida, has just undergone treatment for breast cancer, the first in a series of life-changing events.

youtube_gHS51O_Sn9Q

To enter and win free movie pass, simply tell us in 150 words or less below: How has breast cancer made you re-evaluate what is important in your life?

Comments

• sheilad
    sheilad Member Posts: 39
    edited March 2015
    Options

how did it change my outlook ?...

Make the most of every moment. I have decreased my workload from full time to 4 days a week, as has my husband, so that we can spend more time doing the the things we enjoy. Going for walks, exploring our city (Melbourne), spending time with family and friends, perhaps going away for a night here or there. I guess, it's about making time for ourselves.

The other change is that I try to promote Breast Cancer awareness. I'm a secondary school teacher and my students knew exactly what was involved in my treatment. Because of my openess, I've had a number of students come to talk to me about their family members who have since been diagnosed. It's special to be able to be a support to them,

I've always had a fairly positive outlook. This hasn't changed and I am eternally grateful for BreastScreen finding my cancers at a very early stage. So I also try to promote this service to eligible women.

cheers ... Sheila

• sheilad
    edited March 2015
    Options

how did it change my outlook ?...

Make the most of every moment. I have decreased my workload from full time to 4 days a week, as has my husband, so that we can spend more time doing the the things we enjoy. Going for walks, exploring our city (Melbourne), spending time with family and friends, perhaps going away for a night here or there. I guess, it's about making time for ourselves.

The other change is that I try to promote Breast Cancer awareness. I'm a secondary school teacher and my students knew exactly what was involved in my treatment. Because of my openess, I've had a number of students come to talk to me about their family members who have since been diagnosed. It's special to be able to be a support to them,

I've always had a fairly positive outlook. This hasn't changed and I am eternally grateful for BreastScreen finding my cancers at a very early stage. So I also try to promote this service to eligible women.

cheers ... Sheila

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

Live, live, live every minute the best way that I can.  After my first diagnosis, my longtime partner of 9 years and I decided that "life is too short to waste a minute".  We got married a year later.   We made the celebration a huge family and friends affair - a beach wedding with all close family involved in the wedding party.  People are still commenting,  5 years on, that our wedding was the best they had ever attended.  We rejoice in all of our achievements and endeavour to not miss any opportunities that are beneficial to us.  Each year we celebrate my "life" by visiting somewhere special.  This year we went to Thailand for a family wedding.  After my second diagnosis, it was necessary for me to resign from my work as my health was too unreliable.  This had some financial  impacts as we had previously purchased an investment home.  The idea was to have two houses to sell in the future so that we could move closer to our family.  I always look for the positive in every situation so here it was again.  Moving into the low block home would save my aching legs any further grief.  Of course there was another bonus, I was "old" enough to access my super.  We have now made our invesment house into a beautiful home.  "Live in the moment and be grateful for small mercies" is a saying that my dear old mum used to say.  I am now doing what was meant to be - helping newly diagnosed bc patients and also spreading the wonderful services of BCNA.

• Thea
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Sheila,

Thank you for sharing what has been important in your life. Isn't Melborne such a special city to explore? Making time to do the things you love is so important and it sounds like you have wonderful friends and families to share these activities with!

I have no doubt that like you've touched many people through being so open and willing to talk about your experience. I'm sure you've helped so many others through their own journeys.

Congratulations, we will be sending you a double pass for you and loved one to go along and enjoy 'Love Is All you Need'. I hope you enjoy the movie.

I will contact you via personal message to confirm your mailing address to send the tickets to.

Take care,
    Thea
  • Thea
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Leonie,

Thanks so much for sharing. Your wedding sounds like such a magical day to still have everyone talking!

It sounds like you are facing every challenge with such resilence and determination, Leonie. We hope you will enjoy a relaxing trip to the movies soon as we will be sending you a double pass to 'Love is All You Need'.

I will confirm your address over private message.

Thank you for your continued support and hard work for BCNA - we couldn't spread the word about the available services and resources without women like you.

Warmest regards,
    Thea

• sheilad
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you so much for the tickets .. a lovely early Chrissy pressie ... and for your part in the work that BCNA does to support those of us who have been diagnosed with breast cancer - it is a truly wonderful service!

Sheila xo

• louiseg
    louiseg Member Posts: 412
    edited March 2015
    Options

Breast cancer has made me appreciate how precious every day is and how much I love my family.  I try not to take too much for granted anymore. 

After two diagnoses within 7 years though, the thought is always in the back of my mind as to whether I will ever be unlucky enough to be diagnosed a third time! 

This forum is such a wonderful place to interact with others going through the same thing that you are/have been through.  I am truly grateful to have found such a wonderful group of women to share my experiences and fears with.

Live Life!

Louise

• louiseg
    louiseg Member Posts: 412
    edited March 2015
    Options

Breast cancer has made me appreciate how precious every day is and how much I love my family.  I try not to take too much for granted anymore. 

After two diagnoses within 7 years though, the thought is always in the back of my mind as to whether I will ever be unlucky enough to be diagnosed a third time! 

This forum is such a wonderful place to interact with others going through the same thing that you are/have been through.  I am truly grateful to have found such a wonderful group of women to share my experiences and fears with.

Live Life!

Louise

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited March 2015
    Options

Diagnosed in july 2012 this year , I actually stop and think , I say thank you to myself so much more , I think thank god I took notice of all those check your breast campaigns it made me aware. Ive stopped feeling guilty about putting myself first and for once i actually say NO, Ilove my family more than ever but Ive re evaluated ME and I love it. Adean Thank you to all you gorgeous girls for contributing to this to.

• Thea
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Louise,

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us about your priorities post-breast cancer. I'm so pleased to hear you find the Online Network supportive and helpful.

We will be sending you a double pass for you and a friend to enjoy 'Love Is All You Need' - have a great time!

Thanks,
    Thea

• Thea
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Adean,

Thank you too for sharing with us your change in thinking since being diagnosed with breast cancer earlier this year. We hear so often from women that they have a similar realisation to you have shared.

We hope you enjoy some 'you time' with a friend with a trip to the movies soon. I will private message you for the best address to send your double pass to!

Take care,
    Thea

• Annie13
    Annie13 Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2015
    Options

As a fit & healthy 34-year-old diagnosed with BC, my first thought was why me? I thought that for a while until I eventually noticed my mindset changing. I was starting to appreciate people and life in a whole new manner. I realised I have the most amazing family and friends, and feel truly blessed to have them in my life.

I am now even more determined to achieve my goals. Continue with my Masters (which stopped when BC struck in July) and career goals.

Something I am now not afraid to do is try new things. Get out there and do it.

I have learned to enjoy life - spend time with the people you love, swim in the sunshine, watch girly movies and read trashy novels, smile every day and be thankful. :)

• Jo B
    Jo B Member Posts: 47
    edited March 2015
    Options

The most important thing I have taken away from my experience with breast cancer is that family is the most important thing in life.   My family have been amazing and have supported me unconditionally throughout my treatment and recovery.    No family is perfect but when the chips are down, they are there for you no matter what.   I have also learned to not sweat the small stuff and have realized that it's okay not to please everyone all the time. 

Every time I look at my kids I thank God I am still here to live another day.

• Jo B
    Jo B Member Posts: 47
    edited March 2015
    Options

The most important thing I have taken away from my experience with breast cancer is that family is the most important thing in life.   My family have been amazing and have supported me unconditionally throughout my treatment and recovery.    No family is perfect but when the chips are down, they are there for you no matter what.   I have also learned to not sweat the small stuff and have realized that it's okay not to please everyone all the time. 

Every time I look at my kids I thank God I am still here to live another day.

• Thea
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wow Annie. What an amazing story and thank  you for sharing it with us.

Wishing you all the best for your Masters and your future. It sounds like breast cancer has had a real impact on your outlook on life.

We hope you will enjoy 'Love Is All You Need' - your tickets will be on their way shortly!

Thank you again,

Thea