New Kid on the block

Sony
Sony Member Posts: 10
edited October 2016 in Community news and events

Have been in this situation for a year now and trying to connect with others, don't know if this is the right way.  I am 67 years old and live in North Qld outside of Rockhampton.  Have Secondary Breast cancer, have had Chemo and radiation and now on Zomota and hormonal therapy.  Hoping to connect with others, regards Sondra

Tagged:

Comments

• moira1
    moira1 Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2015

Welcome and yes you have come to the right place, but unfortunately its the club nobody wants to be a member of, thats why it's a special place to come and have support from others. Hope you got through the treatment with not to many issues. Sorry to hear you had secondary breast cancer did you get the free information pack from this site, if not it's called hopes and hurdles, and has loads of information to help with the journey. do you have a support group near you that you could join? But if not don;t worry you have us here to laugh or cry, and ask any questions. Although we have been through the journey and our bodies react differently to treatment, there is a great bunch of people on here who may just be able to answer any questions you might have. so once again welcome to our network, and please keep comming back. Best regards Moira

• Sony
    edited March 2015

Hi Many thanks for answering.  Yes I have received the hopes and hurdles and many other literature.  I am in contact with a group close to hear and also can make contact in Rockhampton.  I have a very supportive family and lots of friends.  I belong to the RSL here at Emu Park and they are a good support to me.  Also I play Mah Jong twice a week and they are a good bunch to be with.  Have had my last visit for a year to my breast surgeon at the Wesley in Brisbane, have bone scans and ct scans every 3 mths and see my Oncologist after them.  The Zomota is keeping the spots on spine and rib at bay, so heres hoping that keeps going to plan.  I have my feed as I call it every month, which isn't  too bad compared to Chemo and the Radiaition.  Will have to try and get a phot of myself on the web, that could be a touchy job trying to get one across here, but will get the aid of my husband.  Many thanks once again and look forward to talking to you once again and others.. Regards Sondra

• helen anne
    helen anne Member Posts: 265
    edited March 2015

As Moira said you've definitely come to the right place!  I'm glad you've received the Hopes and Hurdles pack and other information - I hope this is proving helpful to you.  It sounds like you have a large network of friends and family supporting you up there in Qld.  (I'm a Mexican - Victorian! LOL!)

This month ironically, marks a year since my diagnosis of early breast cancer and I have not long finished treatment and returned to part time work.

I don't know if you had any history of cancer in the family but I certainly didn't so it was a bit of surprise - our family is cursed with diabetes and heart problems.

I found this site fantastic as I was always blogging away seeking help and support and it was comforting to have friends out there in "cyber space".

I'm glad the Zomota seems to be doing the job with your situation.  I'm assuming they infuse it via an IV?  I don't know much about it to be honest as I never had to have it and I also had to have a port for an infusions, transfusions, chemo and bloods as my veins collasped.

I do hope the treatment continues to help and also you get a lot out of this site and the blogs to and from you.

Good luck and take care

luv H

• helen anne
    edited March 2015

As Moira said you've definitely come to the right place!  I'm glad you've received the Hopes and Hurdles pack and other information - I hope this is proving helpful to you.  It sounds like you have a large network of friends and family supporting you up there in Qld.  (I'm a Mexican - Victorian! LOL!)

This month ironically, marks a year since my diagnosis of early breast cancer and I have not long finished treatment and returned to part time work.

I don't know if you had any history of cancer in the family but I certainly didn't so it was a bit of surprise - our family is cursed with diabetes and heart problems.

I found this site fantastic as I was always blogging away seeking help and support and it was comforting to have friends out there in "cyber space".

I'm glad the Zomota seems to be doing the job with your situation.  I'm assuming they infuse it via an IV?  I don't know much about it to be honest as I never had to have it and I also had to have a port for an infusions, transfusions, chemo and bloods as my veins collasped.

I do hope the treatment continues to help and also you get a lot out of this site and the blogs to and from you.

Good luck and take care

luv H

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015

Hi Sonya,

I just wanted to say welcome to the online network and it's great to see you are making your first blog post. This is the best step to start connecting with others who have been through a similar experiences as you.

You might find some of the links below also helpful:

If you have any questions just shout.

Cheers,
    Daina

• Sony
    edited March 2015

Hi Helen Anne

Nice to hear from you, seems we have the year just gone by in common.  I am the first in the family to have any form of cancer, but strangly enough we have diabetes and heart problems in our family too.  Our daughter got type 1 diabetes at the age of 15 mths, didn't know what was wrong with and nearly lost her, she is now 47 years old and managing herself well.

My Zometa seems to be going well have my next feed next Tuesday and yes I have a Power Port  inserted for all my treatments which will be there for ever. 

Liked your picture of your hair, mine was a golden blonde, but after the treatments when it started to grow back I started to be WHITE, ( a bit scarey) but now it is grey with a bit of darker roots and realy curley.  I am not going to change the colour it will stay that way and I will keep it short in case of any further treatment down the track.

With the Famara for the hormonal treatment I get a lot pain in the joints but thats the least of the problems, can rub and take pain tabs. for this.

Hope all is going well for you,

Regards

Sondra

• Sony
    edited March 2015

Dear Diana

Thanks for your contact and thanks for your suggestions will look into the help line.

Regards

Sondra

• helen anne
    edited March 2015

Hi Sondra

We do have a bit in common don't we!  Most of my cousins are all Type 1 diabetics, my dad is Type 2 and he and his brothers, along with my mum's brothers all have heart problems (most of them have had bypasses) and yet no cancer in the family until me!

I hope you get to know a lot of people of the network.  Don't hestitate to just put a question out there - I'm sure you'll get lots of responses.

If you're crafty, you might like to join the group called Creative Corner - I have and it's a nice group.  You can post photos of your art and craft there and learn heaps from other ladies too.

And if you're thinking about fundraising - please join my group that I've started called Fundraising - hopefully by the end of this year I'll have a nice little group of people to bounce some ideas off each other and we can get out there and fundraise.

Anyway just a thought or two for you to consider.

Hope you are keeping well.

take care

luv H

• helen anne
    edited March 2015

Hi Sondra

We do have a bit in common don't we!  Most of my cousins are all Type 1 diabetics, my dad is Type 2 and he and his brothers, along with my mum's brothers all have heart problems (most of them have had bypasses) and yet no cancer in the family until me!

I hope you get to know a lot of people of the network.  Don't hestitate to just put a question out there - I'm sure you'll get lots of responses.

If you're crafty, you might like to join the group called Creative Corner - I have and it's a nice group.  You can post photos of your art and craft there and learn heaps from other ladies too.

And if you're thinking about fundraising - please join my group that I've started called Fundraising - hopefully by the end of this year I'll have a nice little group of people to bounce some ideas off each other and we can get out there and fundraise.

Anyway just a thought or two for you to consider.

Hope you are keeping well.

take care

luv H

• moira1
    moira1 Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2015

Well it looks like you have a very busy life, and great to hear you have a good supportive family and also friends, and well done to you or your husband on getting that photo up, and very nice i must say. Keep on comming back to us and chatting, we always say by comming on here you are not only helping yourself,  you also helping others, so look forward to seeing you on here.

Take care and Regards

Moira