Masectomy

Chance
Chance Member Posts: 5
edited October 10 in General discussion
Hi I've had a recent occurrence of DCIS and have decided to have a double mastectomy.Im seeing a surgeon in a couple of weeks to see if he will perform this surgery. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what to expect and about augmentation.
Thanks Chance 

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 8,056
    Hi @Chance - sorry to see you here & that you've had a recurrence too - that's a bummer. xx

I only had a lumpectomy - but check out these two posts (below) ... they may help you.

We have 2 private groups that you may like to join ...... one re Choosing Reconstruction & the other Choosing to remain Flat.   Check them both out - there should be pics of what to expect. 

https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/29-flat-chat-no-breast-reconstruction

https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/1-choosing-breast-reconstruction

Also check out this post for lots of info on the forum & other areas you may like to join in on the discussions!  You can show off your garden, pets, art & craft & other stuff - or just have a bit of a laugh (we have a couple of funny threads too - as we need a laugh now & then! ;) )
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-new-online-network-members#latest

Take care & all the best xx

• Chance
    Thankyou iserbrown and arpie appreciate your support
    Chance
  • Cindi
    Cindi Member Posts: 159
    Hi @Chance ,
    I had Lobual breast cancer last year in both breasts and after much thought had a double mastectomy which for me was the right descision, also I decided to stay flat and I just wear a comfy bra with padding in it, happy I went this way.
    I also found I healed quickly, and I never regret this descision.
    I hope it all goes well for you
    Cindi xx
  • Suki
    Suki Member Posts: 10
    Hi @Chance

I had a double mastectomy (skin sparing), direct to implants in May this year.  Surgery was around 4 hours and I spent 5 days in hospital - two drains removed before discharge.

I did not have enough tissue for DIEP flap, but am very happy with my implants - at 47 years old I wanted something there.  I got small ones (like my original breasts) so no expander required.  I also have feeling in both breasts (although reduced), which was a pleasant surprise.

I had invasive cancer, so you could ask if nipple sparing would be appropriate for DCIS.

Best bit - symmetry, peace of mind (although there is no medical benefit on overall survival), no radiation and no more mammograms .  Worst bit - managing two drains in hospital and longer recovery/rehab.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions.
  • Chance
    Thanks so much Suki!
  • Chance
    Thanks Cindi have been considering staying flat still undecided, good to hear your experience x
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi @Chance
    Ask to join the private “ Choosing Breast Reconstruction” private group on here.
    It has personal stories and photos that I found helpful.
    There are many factors in coming to a decision about whether to have  reconstruction or not and if do, the type.
    At the end of the day it is an extremely personal decision.
    Take care 🌺
  • Chance
    Thanks Julez1958 x