Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

An amazing lady who has had BC Mets for 40 years ..... they want to know about her longevity!

arpie
arpie Member Posts: 8,056
How amazing is this woman?   (BTW, This article is 6 years old now - and as at 2021, she was 85 and was still going strong.)

Margaret “Peg” Geisler, has now been living with breast cancer for 40 years, and with metastatic disease for 36 of those years.

Peg’s records showed she originally had breast cancer in 1978, it recurred in the 1980s, and she had a biopsy-proven pelvic metastasis that had been treated with radiation, but had never disappeared. She had received multiple medical treatments over the decades, including hormonal therapies and a few chemotherapies. 

They are wondering how many extreme survivors with metastatic cancer are there and what makes them tick?

With the help of Dr. Susan Love’s Army of Women, advice from leaders at The Metastatic Breast Cancer Alliance, and support from the AVON Breast Cancer Crusade, they have launched an international study looking for extreme survivors of metastatic breast cancer.

https://cancerletter.com/trials-and-tribulations/20180608_6/

There is mention of a study/survey being done in the article - some of the results are written up here:
https://outliers.cancer.wisc.edu/

Comments

• Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,444
    There are amazing success stories out there -outliers as they say. It's wonderful there is s study to see what it is that enables this to happen. I am aware of a few over 20yrs living with metastatic breast cancer and even in the support group I attend has survivors over 10 yrs. It's hopeful and I keep hoping ill be one of these people. Learning why some people survive metastatic cancer for 20yrs plus would be great. Thanks @arpie.
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,238
    Thanks @arpie that is an amazing story 👏👏👏
  • byo_boy
    byo_boy Member Posts: 37
    I was just saying to the kids the other day that if the world put half the resources they use to make fake cat pictures with AI tools towards researching and curing this disease, we'd all be taking a course of pills and moving on with zero side effects in 3 years.

These sort of stories and hearing about others with longer survival times despite the odds is always very encouraging though - thanks for the article!