Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Allergic reaction to chemo

Hi All, I'm interested to hear if anyone has had an allergic reaction to their an intravenous chemo infusion and how this affected their treatment plan? What symptoms did you experience? and did you continue to try another chemo treatment? Thanks in advance 🙂

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 8,056
    Have you had more than one allergic reaction?  Make sure your Onc knows .... 

Hubby had one allergic reaction to the first dose of his 2nd lot of chemo .... he became very itchy & redness showed around his throat .... The chemo nurses stopped the infusion & monitored him for 40 mins, before continuing without any problems.  

take care & all the best.
  • Smiley Van Winkle
    Smiley Van Winkle Member Posts: 21
    Thanks @arpie, appreciate your response.
    No have not had an allergy to anything before so was surprised. Mine was quite severe, couldn't breathe, kidney pain, sweats and redness. Stopped chemo for that first session.
    Waiting to hear what Onc says we can do next.
  • GorgyS
    GorgyS Member Posts: 135
    Hi Smiley Van Winkle. I had exactly the same reaction with paclitaxel (Taxol), twice, the third and fourth cycle. They stopped it and continued slowly after 20 minutes. From the cycle five they put me on premedication, dexamethasone and antihistamines Loratadine and Famotidine, to take two and one day before infusion at home. All went well and I just completed all 12 cycles of Taxol last week.  I am sure they will work something out for you. 
  • Smiley Van Winkle
    Smiley Van Winkle Member Posts: 21
    @GorgyS thank you so much for your time to let me know of your experience. I'm hopeful now that this can be overcome and I can continue fighting this disease. It helps so much to talk to others and gives me confidence and information to talk to my Onc about next appointment. Keep going well.🙏🌻 
  • Abbydog
    Abbydog Member Posts: 509
    Have you actually had an allergic reaction? Or are you worried about the possibility.
    If it is for Paclitaxol, they warn us prior.
    It is a possibility, but not common.
    The nurses do watch you closely, especially on the first dose.
    I did not have a reaction. But I believe that the staff are prepared for it.
    There are drugs given prior to the Taxol, and could be increased needed.
    I don't know if this helps, or I'm telling you what you already know.
    All the best.
  • Janis
    Janis Member Posts: 16
    edited June 27
    I have had an allergic reaction to chemo and the Onc prescribed additional drugs to offset this happening again.
    All the best.