How to find a good medical team? (Brisbane / Gold Coast)

Options
SimonM
SimonM Member Posts: 3
edited May 5 in Newly diagnosed
hi all - my partner has just been diagnosed with BC, it's very early days and we don't have a lot of information yet, but are wondering what to do about finding a good Dr (and possibly surgeon if it comes to that).

We live in regional SE Qld, and my partner will most likely be seeking treatment in Brisbane or the Gold Coast. But we haven't been here long, we aren't really plugged into the local community yet and don't know anything about how to find the "right" help - and by that I guess I mean the best person/people for the job. Google searching seems like a pretty hit & miss option - everyone presents well on their website - but that's pretty much all we have to go on at the moment. 

Are there forums where people recommend medical practitioners in particular areas? I can't find anything here.

[Edit: And I understand that the main forum isn't the place for naming names, so please feel free to DM me]

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,644
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your partner's diagnosis.  Well done for supporting her - we'll do our best to help with both your queries.

Maybe add 'Brisbane/Gold Coast' to your heading ... members living there may be able to help.

My GP put me onto a couple of Surgeons & I ended up going with one of them & was very happy with the results.  So maybe ask them first up (tho surprised they haven't mentioned any yet.)

Brisbane (and probably the Gold Coast) would have  dedicated Cancer Centres, where there should be Breast Cancer surgeons (some do both surgery AND reconstruction at the same time - others may do one or the other.)

Get your partner to join the Reconstruction or 'Flat Chat' groups, if she is not sure whether to go flat or have reconstruction, depending on the amount of surgery required xx
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/1-choosing-breast-reconstruction
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/29-flat-chat-no-breast-reconstruction

take care & all the best for your partner - if you attend her appointments, specially with the surgeon & oncologists (post op) consider recording them, so she can go over them later on if needs be.  It is difficult to remember everything that was said.

(Check your messages - top right hand corner, the envelope.) ;) 

• SimonM
    Options
    Thanks so much for this - the situation with the GP is a bit complicated, we're originally from Sydney, staying down here at the moment and have been to St Vincents Hospital for screening/testing, will be seeing our Sydney GP tomorrow for the first consultation. Then back home to Qld - the reason for the Sydney GP visit is that she's very good and we trust her judgement. But we haven't seen a GP at home for any of this yet, to be honest we're not overly impressed with our local medical practitioners - hence my asking here! Really appreciate the reply
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,644
    Options
    All the best for your partner's Appt tomorrow @SimonM- your Sydney GP may also be able to point you to a specific Centre (or even surgeon too) in Brisbane/Gold Coast.  ;) 

take care

• SimonM
    Options
    Thanks so much - yep we've got our fingers & toes crossed for tomorrow
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Hi @SimonM, I am in Brisbane and the Wesley Hospital is probably the Gold Star for breast cancer in the private system. They also have oncology there too and surgeons and the oncologists work closely together in a multi focussed team of care. 

There are great surgeons and oncologist in the public system too and most private surgeons and oncologists work both in the public system and private system. 

My surgeon who was just the best is retired now but there are others who are great here too. 

Happy to answer any questions you have. Best wishes to you and your wife.
  • Mahjah
    Mahjah Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi, sorry that your partner has joined our ranks. I live 1.5 hours West of Brisbane and I went public through the Mater. They were excellent, caring and informative. The Breast Care Nurses care was second to none. Not sure where you are located in terms of recommending a GP. Feel free to DM me if you would like. All the best. 
  • D63
    D63 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Hello @SimonM. Like @Cath62, I have had treatment recently at the Wesley in Brisbane. Happy to help if I can.