what to take to hospital

Options
Dee65
Dee65 Member Posts: 8 New Member
newly diagnosed, surgery looks to be next week - tbc monday.  what was the most valuable thing you took to hospital with you? - should i be investing in a couple of button down the front tops to make getting dressed easier???  trying to be practical here - my way to cope - My b-i-l recently passed away (he lived with us his last 12 months, funeral yesterday so my hubby has a lot of stress and grief at the moment) and it is so gosh darn hot in Sydney at present.  THanks

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    https://www.reclaimyourcurves.org.au/information-sheets.html

A great resource including an Info sheet put together by the input of us forum members,  What to pack for Hospital 

Take care
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,378
    Options
    Having little experience of hospitals, I didn’t take much. I found pyjamas with a zip front opening which were convenient. I also took my phone, charger, a large book and a note book/pen. Slippers might have been handy. If you are at all fussy about tea or coffee, take your own. Food at my hospital was surprisingly good, but the tea and coffee was terrible. Things always seem to happen all at once - best wishes for your recovery. 
  • cactusk
    cactusk Member Posts: 54
    Options
    Depending on which hospital you go to - I was given a pink kind of curved shaped pillow from a BC charity. Still using it nearly 3 weeks after surgery. I’m in Sydney too - I’m still wearing loose, button up light shirts ( linen or cotton) 
    . Easier to get on & off for check ups etc.
    big hugs to you & all the very best for surgery.
  • Mareealso
    Mareealso Member Posts: 26
    Options
    My surgery was approx 3 weeks ago so speaking from experience you may have limited arm movement due to lymph node removal so shirts/blouse with buttons  best thing.. I was in a hospital gown until I went home ..
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,378
    Options
    Depending on preference and activity, you may want some kind of dressing gown. I was in for four days, was encouraged to walk around in the hospital and did so but preferred to have something over my PJs! 
  • GorgyS
    GorgyS Member Posts: 66
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I would suggest post surgery bras from Kmart are great. 
    https://www.kmart.com.au/product/2-pack-wirefree-post-surgery-crop-s124817/
    Button up large top, easy pull up pants, slippers, phone and charger.  This was only for one night in hospital. 
  • Dee65
    Options
    Mareealso said:
    My surgery was approx 3 weeks ago so speaking from experience you may have limited arm movement due to lymph node removal so shirts/blouse with buttons  best thing.. I was in a hospital gown until I went home ..
    thank you
  • Dee65
    Options
    GorgyS said:
    I would suggest post surgery bras from Kmart are great. 
    https://www.kmart.com.au/product/2-pack-wirefree-post-surgery-crop-s124817/
    Button up large top, easy pull up pants, slippers, phone and charger.  This was only for one night in hospital. 

thanks for the recommendation
  • Dee65
    Options
    thanks for the recommendation
  • Dee65
    Options
    Mareealso said:
    cactusk said:
    Depending on which hospital you go to - I was given a pink kind of curved shaped pillow from a BC charity. Still using it nearly 3 weeks after surgery. I’m in Sydney too - I’m still wearing loose, button up light shirts ( linen or cotton) 
    . Easier to get on & off for check ups etc.
    big hugs to you & all the very best for surgery.
    thank you for your wishes - looks like i need a couple of new shirts :)
  • Dee65
    Options
    Afraser said:
    Having little experience of hospitals, I didn’t take much. I found pyjamas with a zip front opening which were convenient. I also took my phone, charger, a large book and a note book/pen. Slippers might have been handy. If you are at all fussy about tea or coffee, take your own. Food at my hospital was surprisingly good, but the tea and coffee was terrible. Things always seem to happen all at once - best wishes for your recovery. 
    some great ideas thank you.  Its been a busy few weeks - hopefully feeling better soon and looking forward to a great 2024.
  • nicmaree
    nicmaree Member Posts: 25
    Options
    If you can't get the bras from Kmart, Target also do a great one too. Very comfortable and not expensive. 
    Wishing you all the best. x
  • Dee65
    Options
    Mareealso said:
    thank you
  • Dee65
    Options
    iserbrown said:
    https://www.reclaimyourcurves.org.au/information-sheets.html

A great resource including an Info sheet put together by the input of us forum members,  What to pack for Hospital 

Take care
    thank you - I have spent the last hour looking at this useful information
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,602
    Options
    I'd suggest you take a set of ear plugs and eye mask (like you get on planes when going overseas!).  Hospitals are bright, noisy places ...... as it can be difficult to get to sleep!   If you like puzzles/suduko - they are easier to do than reading a novel.  Magazines are good - or Readers Digests - just short stories.
    The cushion is absolutely essential.   My arm just hated being 'on the bed', so i had the cushion to rest it on.  Also, when driving home, clutch it to your chest - to prevent jarring when you hit bumps or potholes or kerbside gutters.  

Jump onto this thread for a lot of general info on the forum - you might like to show off your furkids, your garden, art & crafts & other stuff, even some 'funnies' - as we DO all need a laugh sometimes!
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest

take care & all the best next week xx