Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Vale Peta Murphy MP

Options
Mez_BCNA
Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 878

It is with much sadness that Breast Cancer Network Australia acknowledges the death of Peta Murphy MP.

In Peta’s maiden speech to Parliament in 2019, after she was elected to represent the federal seat of Dunkley, Victoria, Peta told our country that she had been diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. In this speech she shone a light into a place many are too scared to. She wanted people to see her living with, not dying from, breast cancer.

She was a powerful voice who could articulate the very real issues of those living with a treatable but incurable cancer. In her speech, she said ‘I am neither unique nor alone in this disease, but I am someone who has a platform that I can use to benefit others and I intend to use it.’ Her voice has been an essential part of BCNA since that time. Her legacy of advocacy and bravely sharing her story will continue to benefit many others.

As you may know, just days ago she called her own government to account to ensure that all Australians with metastatic breast cancer are counted by our cancer registries. It is incredible to think that in her final days she found the strength to go on Radio National with this advocacy call-to-action, and we thank her for helping us to launch our roundtable report at Parliament House. BCNA will continue this advocacy until all people with metastatic breast cancer in Australia are counted.

Our lives are forever enriched by the life, the voice and the tenacity of Peta Murphy MP.

If you find this news difficult, you are welcome to call our Helpline on 1800 500 258 between 9am-5pm or email helpline@bcna.org.au.

Comments