Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Scar tissue pain

Options
AL2
AL2 Member Posts: 4
Hi 3 years on from a mastectomy and a metastatic cancer diagnosis (in my bones) I’m experiencing pain and soreness under my arm, in the chest wall and around the surgery site which seems to be related to scar tissue issues. Can’t seem to find any answers from the medical world. Just wondering if this is normal and what kind of options should I explore to deal with the pain or get people in the medical world to understand/ consider what might be going on. Thanks 

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,378
    Options
    I had a mastectomy eleven years ago, very occasionally I get a scar tissue twinge. A good stretch usually fixes it. So from my experience it’s not a usual thing to experience from a mastectomy. But from metastatic cancer? Sorry, I can’t advise. I assume you have discussed this with your oncologist? 
  • AL2
    AL2 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks - have tried but at the moment we are dealing with locum oncologists and have been for a year now. There’s no team consistency and the current one doesn’t seem to realise that what I’m suffering is an issue for me.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,378
    Options
    Oh dear, that’s not ideal. It can be exhausting to keep insisting, but it’s the only thing you can do to get some answers. Best wishes.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,602
    Options
    So sorry to hear this, @AL2 .... where abouts are you?  (You can add your 'general' area in your profile ...)

It's a pain when you can't see your regular Onc - mine was off for some time after giving birth - but I only had to see the locum once - and they still gave me a referral for a bone scan, after I explained some unusual pain issues ........ Hopefully a member nearby may be able to point you to an Onc you may relate to better, via PM xx 

Are you in the public system?  How long since your last PET/CT/Bone scans?  

take care & all the best 
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,286
    Options
    Hi @AL2, pain needs to be resolved for sure. Have the oncologist talked about nerve pain? What about the surgeon who performed your surgery? Have you raised this pain with them? Is it your meds? I would be pushing for answers. What are you taking for this pain? Sorry no answers, only questions. I think when you have metastasis you need to keep pushing for answers. It's hard with mets because we notice every single thing that happens to us. Do you keep a symptom diary. That's also good to take to appointments. When was your last scan? Take care.