Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Kisqali & Letrozole - thankful & fearful...

Options
Hi, I was diagnosed 7 months ago with metastatic breast cancer and am very thankful for Kisqali and Letrozole (which is working!) having been clear for many years after an original diagnosis of lobular breast cancer. Whilst I am very fortunate to be able to get on with life I do fear what happens once the medication stops working. Do others feel this way what are your coping mechanisms? How do we access information on newer better treatments even if not yet on the PBS or in trials? How can we access genomic testing in Australia that is affordable?

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,602
    Options
    Hi @MargaretTurner - so sorry to see you've joined our select little group here, after your earlier BC diagnosis xx. Lobular is the sneaky one - sometimes turning 'rogue' decades after the original diagnosis ... you may like to join the private metastatic group, where you can chat in 100% privacy with others with Mets.  Jump on here & click join.  
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/2-living-with-metastatic-breast-cancer 

That's great that your treatment is working well ...  try not to get ahead of yourself ....  your Onc team will be making sure you get the best treatment available, for the best results - tho it is also totally normal to wonder what happens once the meds stop working xx.  Try not to dwell on it tho.

Lobular Breast Cancer Alliance is considered a reliable website & also has a dedicated Metastatic Lobular page, which is updated regularly and often mentions Clinical Trials.... they encourage ILC patients to participate in the trials - so it is important that your Onc knows this, so they can put your name forward, if this is what you would like to do.  The more trials, the better chance of better treatments.
    https://lobularbreastcancer.org/ilc-clinical-trials/

Lobular Breast Cancer Alliance also has a dedicated Metastatic Lobular page, which is updated regularly ....
    https://lobularbreastcancer.org/metastatic-ilc-information/

Every now & then we see overseas trials (not yet available in Aussie) and we ask 'WHY NOT HERE?'   Any time new trials are available, it is important that your Onc be 'on top of it' and push for you to get onto them, if they suit your condition.  We hope to have a dedicated 'Clinical Trials' area soon .... where everyone can see all the different trials in one spot .....  eg, there is a trial in UK & USA on a promising vaccine for Triple Negative BC patients .... but it has not 'started' in Australia yet ..... which is a shame.

If you are 'up to it' - other lobular members (me included) would be interested in what alerted you to the eventual Mets diagnosis, as it can show up in so many different areas - Was it specific back or hip pain, or maybe it was in another area?  Were your concerns treated 'seriously' and acted up promptly?   
    We have a Lobular Private Group too, if you wanted to join that one!

I think the Genomic Testing will become cheaper as time marches on, as it is being used more often now - others will know more about it than me.  Tho we had it done in 2019 when my husband was diagnosed with Mets - his samples were sent off to the USA for testing/results - and was quite expensive!

take care, stay well 
  • MargaretTurner
    MargaretTurner Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Wow - thank you so very much for responding and for the information incredible! The Mets were picked up as an incidental when having non-cancer surgery where two tiny nodules were found in the peritoneum (where lobular sometimes jumps to) and removed. I will join the private lobular breast cancer group also thank you.
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Hi @MargaretTurner
    Also consider joining the private “Living With Metastatic Breast Cancer”  private group on here.
    Re clinical trials - your oncologist should know about these , but it may depend on the centre where you are being treated.
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,286
    Options
    Hi @MargaretTurner, I just started on Kisqali and Fulvestrant. Letrozole stopped working for me. So I guess if one treatment isn't helpful we go to another and the oncologist had knowledge of the range of options and also to clinical trail information about the non pbs drugs.

How to cope is a big question. Counselling can help, staying in the present moment is really helpful for me. I practice mindfulness and do meditation, yoga once a week and I just started some massage and reflexology which is free through my treating hospital. Maybe your oncologist or treating hospital can give you ideas. Another option is a support group. My hospital has an advanced cancer group once a month. Do you have a breast care nurse or have you tried the McGrath Foundation?  Join the private mets group here as it's a good group. 

Sorry you are in this situation. It's not easy that's for sure. 
  • MargaretTurner
    Options
    Thank you so very much your comments and suggestions are really helpful!

• Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Hi @MargaretTurner and @Cath62
    I just wanted to say I recently tried reflexology after getting 3 free sessions at my cancer centre and the first session I fell asleep on the table which was a real surprise as it was 9am and I had 2 coffees at breakfast!

• Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,286
    Options
    That's great @Julez1958. I felt deep relaxation when I had it so have signed up for mote. I'll take whatever they are going to offer and give it ago. Whatever helps I say - it's all a bit trail and error as they saying goes. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,602
    Options
    I fell asleep during a reiki session whilst I was in Melbourne recently!  Always a good sign!
  • MargaretTurner
    Options
    Thank you for your motivation started group meditation today and yoga next week! Reiki and reflexology sound great and will look out for classes