Walking challenge

Options
Afraser
Afraser Member Posts: 4,374

Walking (or jogging, running or hopping) is good for your body and brain. Thinking time, listening to music time, talking to a friend time. September may be a good time to start, if you need an incentive:

From Medworld:

https://medrecruit.medworld.com/articles/emergency-doctor-champions-fight-against-cancer-with-pedometers

Dr Bowden has initiated an innovative movement, #MoveAgainstCancer, urging all Australians to step up – both metaphorically and physically. The annual challenge beckons participants to form teams, wear pedometers, and track their steps throughout the month of September. While the immediate perception might be of a fun activity, the underlying intent is profoundly more significant.

Research, including studies by Novant Health and the National Cancer Institute, reveals that increasing our step count can decrease the risk of 13 distinct types of cancer by over 20%. Some of these include prevalent ones like colon, breast, and lung cancers. 

Comments

• Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Yes @Afraser
    I saw an exercise physiologist after I got my diagnosis and she gave me a programme which I still follow 3 years on - it includes at least 30 minutes of brisk walking every day.
    I usually do more than that .
    If it is rainy I walk up and down the stairs of my 3 storey house which is extra cardio.
    I find it very meditative so it’s good both physically and mentally.
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,279
    Options
    Walking has been my mainstay all my life. It gets me out into fresh air and nature. I am lucky to live near a Brook and it is beautiful to walk along it. I usually walk 45min to 1 hr daily. I sometimes do what I call walking meditation and focus on the senses ie what I see, hear, smell, touch and taste. It distresses me. My oncologist, gp and physio all say they should write scripts for exercise because it is so powerful in terms of healing and health. It is good for the body but also the mind. 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,374
    Options
    I’m a late entry in walking - never did till COVID. Then with no gym or yoga classes and restricted movement, I started walking in my street. I feel odd now if I don’t walk - an hour a day, usually listening to music. I know my neighbours and my neighbourhood better and my musical tastes have widened. It’s good for all of me. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,590
    Options
    I’m a VERY late walker too @Afraser …. I used to walk regularly but had shoulder surgery some years back & it broke the pattern & I never got back to it …. I know I should - it would tone up my body somewhat and lose some flab ….. but it is mind over mattress - and the mattress usually wins!!  ;)   Mind you - if it was a kayak fishing trip, I’d be up & ready to go …… LOL
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Loved my walking for years.  Up before daybreak doing a 37k walk every Sunday.....

• mell45
    mell45 Member Posts: 26
    edited August 2023
    Options
    My cancer gift is a treadmill. Just got it this week. No more excuses when all the kids at home. Would have preferred a trip to Paris, but I am very happy with new treadmill.