Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Accessing super while still working

Options
Does anyone have experience with accessing their superannuation on terminal illness grounds while continuing to work in a reduced capacity? Is this allowed within the super rules, or do you need to give up work? Or are there no defined rules around this? Thanks for your input. 
Tagged:

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,586
    Options
    SO Sorry to see you here @danstew ..... throw up any questions & we'll do our best to help you with a helpful answer. 

Feel free to fill us in on a bit of your history, if you are up to it, as it will help us understand your situation better. xx

We also have a private Mets Group that you may like to join ..... I'll tag @Mez_BCNA (Moderator) and she will be able to help you join.

I understand that you CAN access your super when you have a terminal disease - lots of forms to fill in & letters  .....

I put 'accessing superannuation' in the 'search' area & then clicked 'newest' (for the most recent posts) and this is the result ..... Those who HAVE accessed, will jump on soon and add their two bits xx

https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/search?query=accessing superannuation&sort=-dateInserted&scope=site&source=community

Feel free to explore the Forum a bit - we have lots of different Threads that may be of interest to you ... if you are into art & craft, gardening, got pets - we even have a couple of Funny threads & a Wise Words thread, that may be of comfort to you xx Jump on & add to any that you like xx

https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest 

take care & all the best xx
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,377
    Options
    Depends on bit on your super fund. However, if you are over the preserved age then you can access your funds just so long as you do not plan on going back to full time work. Some super say no work, others say part time allowed. I am not sure of the rules if you have not reached the preserved age.
  • Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 876
    Options
    Thanks @arpie. @danstew I can see you are a member of the group which is great. You may find this My Journey article helpful in relation to Superannuation and insurance access https://myjourney.org.au/article/1642
  • danstew
    danstew Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks very much for your responses and helpful info, @arpie, @Blossom1961 and @Mez_BCNA. I have just turned 58 and currently work 4 days. I have a wonderful husband and two beautiful sons. I was first diagnosed Stage 2B in 2013 and, in 2020, diagnosed Stage 4 with mets to lung and bone. I have been very fortunate to have had 3 years of relatively easy treatment, which has allowed me quality time with friends and family. However, I am increasingly fatigued at work, and want more time with my boys to help them through current important stages and challenges in their lives. So, I would like to work more part-time and access regular small amounts of my super. As the main money earner in our family, and with 2 dependents, reducing my work hours will have a big impact on our budget.
  • wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Options
    Hi @danstew,
    you have reached the preservation i believe which is 55,however its up to your super fund whatever their rules and regulations may be and it also depends on how much the tpd payment is would it be worthwhile for you to access this and would it be financially viable option, i rang the cancer council and was put through to someone who then put me in contact with a financial advisor, this was a free service, depending on your assests, he gave me the advice that i needed in my situation, so i guess next step go through your super papertwork, then ring the super company and expalin, see what they say, it may not be a easy process and may take some time, if there is a reasonable amount of money to be had, it may be worth your while that either the councer council could put you in contact with a solicitor who works pro bono for them or if you have a family solicitor they may do the paperwork for you, all depends how much is on offer versus the costs of a solicitor either your own or the cancer council, i am 67  and on the pension so a bit different to you,but my tpd componenet certainly came in handy, also ask the question do you have trauma insurance on your super, so that in the event of a diagnosis like stage 4 you may have a claim there as well, i can totally understand your reasons for doing this, just to let you know i am stage 4 have been for 10 years and i am still here!!!, just quickly i dont know if you are in the city or are rural i am rural and requested with the cancer council for a phone call with the financial advisor as it would take too much out of me to travel to adelaide for a sit down interview when it could all be done via the phone, just a thought,
    good luck,
    wendy55
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,586
    Options
    AWESOME info there, @wendy55. xx

• danstew
    danstew Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Thanks so much, @wendy55! My oncologist today suggested TPD so that’s definitely something I’ll investigate. 
  • cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 703
    edited March 2023
    Options
    @danstew. I have accessed my super several times . I had no sick leave and no long service as casually employed at the times 1st when hubby was diagnosed. I got carers payment from centrelink and newstart so it was easy to access it at the time. I was over 55 so it was just a letter from centrelink. That one i had to declare in my tax as I was under 60 
    The 2nd time was after hubby passed and i had reached 60. I could get $10,000 at at time. Unless i took early retirement or transition to retirement. 
    Since hubby passed and my diagnosis in 2016 i have kept a small part of jobseeker as I haven’t managed to go back to full time. Did try and ended up with pneumonia and run down. 
    Cancer council suggested the social worker at centrelink and she was fantastic. I don’t have much super left as i have used it a couple of times since but its gotten me through some difficult times. things keep breaking down around me and having to pay people to fix them. 
    Im on the count down to retirement 13 months and they can’t make me work 30 hrs a fortnight. Its a struggle sometimes when you throw in the meds for mets 
    my employer has been fantastic to deal with. working around my all appointments give and take. 
    Oh when you do your paperwork for super fund. Copy everything. And when you send it in send it express post so you have tracking numbers. Also you will need certified copies of 100 point ID 
    good luck with it all