What to expect post mastectomy

Options
MissPolly
MissPolly Member Posts: 1 New Member
hello community. 
I am recently diagnosed ILC and having a mastectomy and immediate reconstruction this week. Lymph’s are also infected so will be cleared. I know i’ll Have drains for a while but don’t know how long. My family are in the uk but my mum has offered to come over. I’d love to hear from members who’ve been through similar. How much help did you need? Could you drive. I live in a rural area out of town and have school age kids.
any experiences welcomed.
thank you in advance 

Comments

• youngdogmum
    youngdogmum Member Posts: 250
    Options
    Hi @MissPolly welcome :)
    I too had ILC and a mastectomy and Grade 2 axillary clearance in February of this year. I had no immediate reconstruction

If you're having a single sided mastectomy you'll probably have 2 drains; one where your original breast was and another under the armpit. Depending on what recon you're having, you may have more drains.

The type of recon will also determine your recovery so I'll answer what I can..
    Drains stay in for 7-10 days usually, it varies for everyone and how much fluid is coming out. Community nurses/the rural hospital I would imagine will be arranged to take your drains out...unless you're spending the acute 1-2 weeks post surgery in the nearest regional centre??

Whilst the drain is in you can't lift your arm up above your head, so you need help from that perspective. The physio will want you beginning the exercises from day one post surgery to prevent lymphodema; it takes some time (5-6 weeks) to get the arm pretty close to 100% functioning..some women it takes much longer though and unfortunately suffer long term restrictions. Mine doesn't impair me doing anything except sometimes Ill ask hubby to reach something because my under arm area feels much tighter that day and I can't stretch my arm fully. I can do weights/push arms etc all fine now.  

You'll be advised to not drive with drains in..for insurance purposes I wouldn't recommend it, but how practical that is with kids in a rural area I can't comment on. The surgeon told me once I could fully hold my arm out to the steering wheel and turn it properly I could drive. 

Hopefully someone who had the same type as recon as you will be able to help with that side of recovery. 

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Quote_Queen_67 and @Loobylou might have some wisdom for you. K xox
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    Options
    @MissPolly You'll need quite a bit of help. Ask at the hospital what is available. Perhaps you can get referral to have a breast care nurse come to check your dressings and help with self-care if necessary. They'll give you instructions about what NOT to do with your arm, and it's important to follow those. Don't push yourself to do too much. Gentle recovery is important. Anaesthetic stays in your system for some weeks and can affect your mental functioning, so that's another reason, as well as physical limitations, to not drive for up to about six weeks. 

Accept offers of help from friends and the parents of your kids' school friends. Suggest specific things if they offer.

Take care.  <3
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Options
    Ask to see a social worker, to see what help is available to you.

I know you say you're out of town. Is there a school bus run that might be able to pick up and drop off your children nearby? Many years ago my uncle and aunt both drove buses on school runs out from their town. I know they would've done whatever they could to help people in a similar situation to yourself.

Take care