Forum Discussion
Kate62
7 years agoMember
Feeling very overwhelmed
Hi everyone I have been reading some of your comments and feel the support. I was diagnosed the end of September and it has been a whirlwind since I had a lumpectomy and removal of some lymph nodes last Tuesday 23rd October and got my result back 30th went to the appointment expecting to be told when I needed to start radiation to be sat back on my butt with the news that I needed to have mastectomy of my left breast due to the margins not being good, so today is my op to lose my breast I cried most of yesterday and I’m trying to hold it together as I wait for 11:15am to make my way to the hospital
15 Replies
- CathyMacMember@Sweetpetal, I'm sorry your here too! I was diagnosed on Thursday and totally understand your fear. Big hugs and much love. Let me know if you'd like to chat.
- kmakmMember@Sweetpetal Nothing to be sorry about! It takes a while to get the hang of a new website.
We've all been where you are now. We get it and understand. If you're comfortable with it, tell us a little about yourself, whereabouts you are in Oz, how you got diagnosed, where you're up to in the process. @kezmusc's suggestion of starting a new discussion is a good one as there are lots of conversations going on here!
Hang in there. You're in the worst bit right now, you will feel better once your treatment gets going. Big hug, K xox - dougalMemberHi @Sweetpetal, I feel for you, I really do. I was diagnosed in July, no symptoms, no lump I could feel, first mammogram ever. I had right side mastectomy, not having reconstruction, going through chemo now. It is so daunting and scary and I cried so much at the beginning, still do when it hits you like a ton of bricks, what your going through, but honestly you can get through this, don't read too much on the internet, it just confuses you and so much information that contradicts itself, take each day at a time and go outside, take deep breaths and just look at the nature all around us, it will calm you. It's ok to be angry at the world to , you feel like your the only one going through this and nobody understands, at least that's how I felt, but I'm learning to accept my diagnosis and in some ways it was a wake up call to slow me down and stop getting so stressed about every little thing. Thinking of you and wishing you loads of luck on your journey.
- SweetpetalMemberSorry
- kezmuscMemberHi @Sweetpetal, Welcome to the forum lovely. Sorry about your diagnosis. Stinks to say the least right?
You might want to start your own discussion and tell us a bit about yourself. That way we can answer any questions you have without them getting lost in another thread.
xoxox - primekMemberIt just heightens the fear having to go back again. So glad you are through surgery and that feeling of it finally being gone is such a relief. Healing thoughts coming your way. Kath x
- SisterMember@Kate62 - I started off with partial and expectation of only needing rads only to be told that the tumour was twice the size expected with no clear margins and in the nodes. So I know what it feels like to get that news and have to go back for the mastectomy and axillary dissection. That was at Christmas and I'm out the other side of chemo and rads. Not what you want to do but you can do it.
- Kate62MemberThank you I’m feeling much better now the operation is over with, the thought of the op was worst than the op. I don’t have much pain and I’m just trying to stay very positive the staff at the PA hospital have been amazing
- iserbrownMember@kate62 I hope you are feeling a little better today as you start on the road to recovery
Take care and best wishes - AnonymousNot applicableThinking of you @Kate62. I hope everything goes well with your operation. I had the same experience 4 years ago and that time between being told that the margins weren’t good and that I’d need a mastectomy, was the most difficult time in the whole experience of getting cancer. It was devastating, but it got better.
The mastectomy wasn’t as painful as I expected. I recovered and went on to have reconstruction. At that time I focused on doing something nice each day and just took it hour by hour sometimes. Be kind to yourself. It’s a hard time, but we understand what you’re going through and it will get better. Crying is ok too. I couldn’t count the times I’ve cried along the road to recovery. Take care xx