Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Confused with my diagnose.

Options
Chrissieanne
Chrissieanne Member Posts: 5
edited October 2018 in Metastatic breast cancer
I was Diagnosed with metastatic cancer on 17th September. Iv'e has scans ex rays etc and having a mastectomy on 13 November. It seems that it is only in my nodes. Does this mean it not Metastatic cancer as I thought that meant it was somewhere else. I'm confused.  

Comments

• Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Options
    @Chrissieanne. I am not a doctor,  but I  wouldn't  have  thought you had metastatic breast cancer if it is just in your lymph nodes. Spread to other places such as bone, liver, brain, etc. is what defines metsstatic breast cancer. Have you read your pathology report?
  • Chrissieanne
    Options
    Only read the one from the breast screen biopsy. Will have more information after my Mastectomy. I was told by my oncologist that its only in my nodes. liver clear, bones clear lungs etc clear.  
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,576
    Options
    @Chrissieanne  -  talk with your health professionals .... they will be able to put your mind at ease re what happens next after the mastectomy.   

All the best with your ongoing appointments & treatment  xx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    As I understand it cancer in the nodes does not 'count' as metastatic. But best check with your doctors. K xox
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    Your cancer may have possibly metastasised into the nodes. I was not HERpositive in my breast tumour but was in the only malignant node. That isn't metastatic breast cancer, but as far as I am concerned is a reminder that it was a jolly good thing to catch it when we did! I'm six years clear, so check with your doctors but all may be well. Best wishes.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,375
    Options
    They told me I didn't have metastatic, it said no metastatic on my body scan, but the biopsy on two lymph nodes which was in the initial testing said metastatic. I think because my cancer started in the breast and moved to the nodes then they call it metastatic but I don't have it elsewhere and it is contained within these areas. Like you, I was confused but have given up trying to understand as it does my head in and that is far enough gone as it is! 😜
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options

Below are a couple of links to help you find your
    way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order
    a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a whirlwind when we first get a
    diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

Navigating the online community
    formerly the what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/navigating-the-online-community-formerly-the-what-and-how-thread

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey Kits and other
    resources. 

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further
    information or support please call 1800 500 258. BCNA’s helpline will now be open from
    9am-6pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 5pm Fridays.  

How to understand your pathology reports

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/understanding-your-diagnosis/tests/understanding-your-pathology-report/breast-pathology/breast-cancer-pathology.html

• kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Hi @Chrissieanne,

My initial diagnosis (from the first biopsies) was "highly probable metastatic breast cancer"  once all the staging scans were done it was the same as you.  All clear everywhere else.  It is difficult to understand sometimes.  After surgery there were 5 out of the 24 they removed positive. The main culprit had a 25mm tumour which had broken through the node and was in the surrounding tissue as well which generally would have put me to stage 3.  However as the actual primary breast lesion was only 19mm the outcome was stage 2 grade 2 locally advanced.

Does your head in trying to understand this mumbo jumbo.  The main thing is that it is nowhere else which is awesome!
  • Chrissieanne
    Options
    Thank you all. you have helped be to understand a bit better. Still confused about the grades and stages but in time. As I've been given no stages or grades. 
  • Bubbyc
    Bubbyc Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with Mets to my brachial plexus. Unusual but not unheard of. 
  • Riki_BCNA
    Riki_BCNA Staff Posts: 323
    Options
    Hello @Chrissieanne and welcome. To help put your mind at ease don't hesitate to ask your doctor for a copy of the pathology report and ask him/her to explain all the terms. This will also help you understand your treatment plan and reduce some anxiety there. Your treating team are there for you. Wishing you all the best.