Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Advice re filtered water and avoiding sugar...

This discussion was created from comments split from: Cancer spread to liver..

Comments

• MeganM
    MeganM Member Posts: 60
    I’m new can someone share advice re filtered water and avoiding sugar?
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    My understanding is that consumption of sugar has nothing to do with breast cancer, other than too much can make you obese and that is a risk factor for many cancers, including breast. Your body will make energy from whatever you put into it and that is used by all cells.

This is quite good at explaining it:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2017-07-26/cancer-and-sugar-what-you-need-to-know/8701870

Personally I doubt that filtered water would have any effect either but I'm not a scientist. I'd be wary about removing fluoride from my water for the sake of my teeth. But then I do consume a bit of sugar! I suppose if you removed all sugar from your diet removing all the fluoride would be fine! I'd say check with your doctors and dentist! Kxox
  • MeganM
    MeganM Member Posts: 60
    Thanks 
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    @kmakm
    The article is  interesting and informative in relation of  sugar to cancer. It was interesting to read that starving the body (depriving cells of necessary sugars) leads to an immune system that is inefficient in fighting disease.  I have often wondered if that is why some women gain weight because their body is recognising in the very, very early stages of cancer that it has a big fight coming up. Only my surmises though - no proof.

As to filtered water, where we live there is no reticulated town water. We rely on bore water for all household and garden needs.  This water is filtered to the house. If there is an implication that flouride causes BC, (which I doubt),  we have been using filtered bore water for 21 years and BC picked me.

• kmakm
    @Annie C I don't think there's any suggestion that fluoride causes breast cancer!
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    @kmakm
    My use of flouride was a poor analogy. I was using it as a reference that filtering whatever out of water does not prevent cancer. However some of the "Way Out There This Causes You Cancer" sites often drawn a long bow in their assertions.

I would never take offence at any of your posts. I did however really appreciate the article on sugar.  Sugar is often made out to be the "baddie". Too much of anything is not good. The article put sugar in context. I liked it.

• kmakm
    @Annie C I didn't think you had taken offence my dear friend! There are indeed some very long bows out there... K xox

@kezmusc Yes, that's a good one.
  • Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    There are many forms of sugar - sucrose, lactose, fructose. I guess its the amount taken daily that could cause a problem with weight. I avoid all over the counter soft drinks and fruit drinks, they are very high in sugar. I'm skeptical about any link between cancer and sugar.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    edited October 2018
    As the article that @kezmusc has basically said - pretty well EVERYTHING you eat breaks down to 'simple sugars' as it is the only way the body can absorb the energy to keep it going - so there is no avoiding 'eating sugar' cos our bodies 'make it' anyway!  

Even 'fat/oil' breaks down into simple sugars eventually (but basically with twice as many calories as Carbohydrates and takes longer to break down.) 

My basic idea is  "everything in moderation - nothing to excess" - as being the best approach to your daily eating habits, whilst maintaining some physical activity, to keep the rest of the body 'working'.  

Too much food with too little physical activity = weight gain.

Too much activity with too little food = weigh loss.

Filtered water may remove some micro elements that would be in 'regular' tap water (even if it has fluoride in it) and bore water would have even more elements in it than regular 'dam water', I reckon - but I don't think there are higher chances of getting the Big C because you are in the country or the city ..... but if you are eating healthily (fruit, veg & protein) it should give you a better chance of surviving whatever life throws at us.  There is no rhyme nor reason for many of our diagnoses  :(    

Eat as much 'home cooked' food as you can (vs precooked/packaged food) with lots of fresh veg .... even throw in the odd glass of wine ....

There are a lot of whacky theories out there as to why we get cancer - but no-one actually knows - not even the scientist boffins - or else there should be a drop in the incidence of cancers, not an increase (which would appear to the the current trend  :(  )

I've always considered that we all have 'cancer in us' - and it just takes something to 'activate it'  (be it an injury or other trigger) ..... Genetics would probably have a bit to do with it too - even if we are 'first timers' (like me) in the family to be diagnosed.  My father died at age 51 and my mother in her early 70s (I am 65) - so we have no idea 'what' illnesses may have hit them if they'd survived into older ages.  

I'm the only one in my family that I am aware of (including my parents & grand parents, 4 siblings & their kids) to be diagnosed with cancer, at this point in time.  I reckon it is just bad luck as much as anything else.  

All the best with your ongoing treatment & results - and try not to ponder it too deeply - ain't nothing gonna change what's happened  xx