Newly diagnosed

Options
tdonelly2000
tdonelly2000 Member Posts: 8
Hi
I am 47 and went for a mammogram because my mother and sister were going for one. Theres were ok but when i got my letter saying i need more tests my heart sank. Had by biopsy and showed early stage. Since then been a whirlwind of emotions been given all this information to read and decisions to make dont know wether im coming or going anymore. Go in for my Lumpectomy and Node on Wednesday. Feeling very overwhelmed any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Yours is a feeling we all know well so don't feel that your alone. And while at times you may wish that you hadn't joined in with the mammogram outing, it has probably saved your life. Everyone's diagnosis and treatment is a little different but there are similarities as well.  If you can, take someone you trust to your appointments - 2 pairs of ears are better than one.  Until you get the path report back from surgery, you won't know exactly what you're dealing with so you won't know for sure what your treatment plan will be.  You will start collecting lots of bits of paper.  I found it useful to buy a zip-up lever arch folder from Officeworks (I started with a 2 ring binder but that was soon too small), dividers and plastic sleeves.  All my documentation goes in that and if necessary, I can take the whole lot to appointments.  One of the other lovely ladies will probably pop up here in the light of day to post some useful links ( @SoldierCrab ?) Try to breathe and take one step at a time.  Good luck on Wednesday and keep us posted.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @tdonelly2000 sorry u have to be here buts it’s very supportive. I would keep a notebook of any questions u have and I got a big A4 pencil case like thing from Typo to keep all my notes, receipts, pathology reports etc. it can all be quite scary and overwhelming but when u get your results you will know exactly what u r dealing with and can start to deal with it properly. Don’t Dr Google but if u do make sure u stick to Australian websites. Take someone to early appointment with u for support and don’t be afraid to ask for help.  Good luck for Wednesday - let us know how u go xoxo
  • tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    Options
    @tdonelly2000 so sorry you find yourself here .
    your post is almost the exact copy of what I first posted here in April , I'm now down to my last 4 days of radiation !
    ?take one step at a time & breathe , once you have your pathology results you will know your plan , believe it or not it becomes a tad easier when you know what needs to be done . 
    Definitly have someone with you at appts & like Kiwi Angel said don't google .
    best of luck for Wednesday & remember we are here to help just ask !! Xxx

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    edited July 2018
    Options
    You've come to the right spot for support & friendship from those who've travelled the road before you @tdonelly2000

It can be daunting and quite scary ..... but it sounds like yours has been caught early (like mine) and all going well, you will have minimal surgery, good recovery & possibly radiation - tho your medical team will advise that after your results come thru. 

The waiting is the worst - just try to keep yourself busy doing what you love doing the best.  Do you have family & friends to support you post op?  A small pillow is a wonderful aid for holding your arm in a position post op, to allow you to sleep better.  Make sure you take the painkillers at regular intervals to prevent any pain kicking in. 

Have you signed up for the BCNA Care Kit & Journey Kit yet?   It includes a wonderful diary for not only recording your appointments but all your receipts, Business Cards (you'll end up with a collection of those! ;) ) - but also your thoughts & questions for the surgeon, breast care nurse etc ..... take it with you everywhere!!    BCNA also can provide a free Berlei Bra for post op comfort - tho some find the Ahaa Bra very comfy.  Both Kmart & Best& Less have wonderful 'no wire' sports bras that are also very good & don't cost a fortune.  I took the little pad things out & they were more comfy for me.

https://www.bcna.org.au/about-us/information-for-health-professionals/early-breast-cancer/

What town/city do you live in?  Someone in that town/city may be able to give you ideas on facilities there.

You can either go Public or Private (tho private can incur out of pocket expenses - ask for a quote if going private!)  Maybe get someone to check with your health fund if the Dr is 'under their umbrella' as this can reduce costs too ....  Many of our members have gone Public at no cost - and not had to wait either.  Many surgeons work in both systems.

I went Private for my surgery & public for radiation, so have incurred out of pocket expenses ... if I need any other surgery, I reckon I'll be going public now that I 'know the system'!  ;) 

Yep - one step at a time, you are allowed to be angry, upset, confused - it is all a part of the process.

Wishing you all the best for your surgery next week xxx
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    hi @tdonelly2000
    here is the links Sister was talking about 

Below are a couple of links to help you find your
    way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order
    a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a whirlwind when we first get a
    diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

Navigating the online community
    formerly the what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/navigating-the-online-community-formerly-the-what-and-how-thread

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey Kits and other
    resources. 

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further
    information or support please call 1800 500 258. BCNA’s helpline will now be open from
    9am-6pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 5pm Fridays.  

How to understand your pathology reports

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/understanding-your-diagnosis/tests/understanding-your-pathology-report/breast-pathology/breast-cancer-pathology.html

• tdonelly2000
    tdonelly2000 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Thnkyou for all the information.I know now to take someone with me to all my appointments because when i was diagnosed i didnt  and when they told me i never heard a word they said so now my mother comes with me.I live in Windsor so i am going to Mt Druitt Public Hospital.I am a single mother of 5 children 2 older ones and 3 at home one of which is a 9 yr old Autistic boy who is finding it very hard as he needs routine n stabilty which at the moment hes not getting.I have a good support from family and friends.

I have got my Journey Kit and my Bra and also my Breastcare Nurse.Once ive had my op im on 5 weeks of radiotherapy pending my results.Just so much information and appointments all at once finding it hard to take it all in.
  • Riki_BCNA
    Riki_BCNA Staff Posts: 323
    Options
    Hello @tdonelly2000 it can be a very overwhelming time sorting through all the information as you mention and decisions to make. As our online members have stated please don't hesitate to contact the BCNA Helpline to speak with a cancer nurse on 1800 500 258 for any further support or information at any time along the way
  • Eastmum
    Eastmum Member Posts: 495
    Options
    Hi @tdonelly2000 - you've definitely come to the right place  - there's always someone online day or night if you just need to vent or scream or looking for someone to lend an ear.
    It's so overwhelming at the beginning and on top of it all you have your kids to worry about - as others have said, when you have a treatment plan it will be a much smoother ride in terms of being able to make plans - you'll feel much more in control - it's so great that you have support from your friends and family.
    Try to take one step at a time and don't forget to breath! Your breast care nurse should also be a great source of information for you. Best of luck with everything and let us know how you're doing! xxxx