Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

So Confused!!!

Options
Cate64
Cate64 Member Posts: 446
edited May 2018 in Metastatic breast cancer
My tumor markers has risen after only 3 months on new treatment. Started @ 219 went down to 151 the 6 weeks later back @ 235.

Recent bone scans show some bone lesions undetectable, some unchanged, some more obvious, not bigger as i understand it just more obvious, no new lesions. CT scan was fine.

Onc said its not disease progression & that I would be termed stable so, why are my tm's up??? could it be tumor flare from new med's & will come done again? (thats something i read about & was indicated to happen between 1 week & 4 months after going on new meds - or is it just crap?)

I know I am asking stupid questions as they are questions for the Oc but really on Friday I thought I understood & was OK with it all but now with a weekend under my belt I feel confused & anxious about it all.

OK vent over, tim to pull yourself together my girl..

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Hey Cate I don't suppose it could be something as banal as having had a flue shot? Those markers are mercurial and simple things, like a cold or infection, can make your body produce the same proteins it does when it is trying to get on top of cancer cells. If you've read your new meds may produce a reaction like that in the same timeframe, it may be possible that is all there is too it. Mxx
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Hi Cate probably due to body adjusting to new meds
    if you are on cdk inhibitors like palbociblib  perhaps check out  the breastcancer.og us site as there are lots of specific posts for new drug you are on  
    All the best 
    Bright in hope
  • angg66
    angg66 Member Posts: 188
    Options
    Hi @Cate64. I am in the same boat. My recent CT scan showed my mets are stable but my tumour markers have been rising. The oncologist was concerned but not overly because the CT scan showed no progression of the mets. I'm as confused as you are!! 
  • wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Options
    Hi @cate64, I had a similar problem, my markers were fine, but my scan showed possible metastic progression, after a second scan 8 weeks later it turned out I had had an infection and thats why my lymph nodes were enlarged, cancer markers are just one of the tools the oncologists use along with scans bloods etc,are you still on xeloda? or have you been put on something else, how is the running going,Im sure it will sort it self out, not very encouraging I know but hang in there, there has to be an answer,
    cheers,
    wendy55