Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

PIKNIC clinical trial

angg66
angg66 Member Posts: 188
edited May 2018 in Metastatic breast cancer
I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer in 2016. I've tried a few different chemos in that time. The latest was Eribulin. All the scans show the cancer is stable but my tumour markers have been rising. I've tolerated the chemo well up until the last 6 weeks where I have been getting almost daily headaches & numerous migraines. So when I saw my oncologist recently he suggested I take a break from the Eribulin for a month which I agreed to. He also asked me if I wanted to be part of a clinical trial. It is called PIKNIC & being run out of Peter Mac in Melbourne. It is a drug you take orally every day. I saw the clinical trial doctor last Friday to get more information. She said the major side effects of this new drug was diabetes. This really concerns me. 

Is anyone on this site on this trial or know someone on it? What has been your experience? What are the side effects for you?

Thanks 

Comments

• socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hi @angg66, am not on the trial and don't know of anybody who is at this stage but just wanted to wish you all the best with your decision and hoping someone will jump on who knows something about this. Big hugs to you. Xx 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Good to know in advance about the side effects. I guess you would have to weigh up the possibilities of diabetes--which is nasty but may be manageable vs the possibility of your cancer advancing which may be even nastier. The choices we have to make, hey? Good luck, what ever you decide to do. Mxx