Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

I climbed Mt Kosciuszko

Options
Tilly45
Tilly45 Member Posts: 86
edited April 2018 in Metastatic breast cancer
Thanks to the OTIS Foundation, I have been staying in Thredbo with my beautiful family for a much needed break together. I have been in so much discomfort in all of my joints, including hips and especially knees and lower back. I was diagnosed 9 mths ago & have stage 4 bc, it has spread across my entire liver. I thought our trip here would involve me resting and strolling along that flat areas near the village. However, I started the path up Mt Kosciuszko and I just kept going! I talked my family into leaving me as I didn’t want to hold them up. You should have seen their faces when They stumbled across me 25 min. from the summit. I am so proud of myself, I kept breaking the climb into small goals and enjoyed the walk as much as possible. I didn’t focus on the end, just the journey and breathtaking scenery around me. I hope I am an encouragement to others, don’t write yourself off just because you have been diagnosed with cancer. We can still do so much, just enjoy now, don’t focus on the end point so much. xox

Comments

• wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Options
    Hi @Tilly45,
    Well done You, you certainly are an inspiration, its amazing where we can find the strength from but we do, congratulations, so very pleased to hear about your break with your family, the Otis foundation are wonderful, and the people who provide their homes for us to stay in are unsung heroes,we never really know who they are, but I know I am very grateful for their generous gift of a place to go and refocus and regroup. Like you I have stage 4, metastases in my liver and my spine, I think that when you say you broke the walk up into small goals and enjoyed the scenery, that is what we all have to try and do when we can, just break our goals into small achievable chunks, bit by bit, and we will get there,
    Wendy55
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Tilly you are a deadset legend! Well done. Bloody marvellous! All the very very best. K xox
  • Tilly45
    Options
    Thank you Wendy & kmakm.
    I forgot to tell you about my recovery, hilarious. I’m walking around like robot.
    Wendy, you are so right when you mention breaking our day-to-day living up on to small tasks. It can be hard not to become overwhelmed by the big picture sometimes. I will always use my journey up that mountain to remind me.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Congrats to you - what an achievement!  And a shout out to Otis Foundation for the opportunity that they offer to us all

No doubt when you're having a downer your thoughts will go to that mountain and a smile will come across your face!

What a fab thing to do!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    ah Tilly what an achievement... and what a memory also for you and your family.... 
    Congratulations on climbing Mt Kosciuszko
  • Tilly45
    Options
    Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I am so humbled by this whole experience. It blows me away when I hear from you beautiful people.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Ooohhh, I so wanted to stay at that property but it wasn't available when I could get away. So envious, and what a champion effort for you to get up that 'hill'. You must be so proud of yourself and it is really important to share that, it inspires others.
    Otis is fantastic, I went over to Kiola instead of Thredbo and body surfed instead. Get onto their website ladies and gents. Mxx

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I'm waiting on availability for one of their Victorian properties.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @Tilly45 - amazing!!!!  Go u!!! Xo
  • Uffy
    Uffy Member Posts: 46
    Options
    That's brilliant Tilly45. I can highly recommend walking poles. I love bush walking and won't let my pain get in the way. I don't care what I look like; I even use them for my street dog walks on bad days. You sound like an inspiration.
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    That’s so bloody marvellous. Well done Wonder Woman!!!  Margie x
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    I'm with you @Uffy. Poles are fantastic. They give you stability and you can poke things with them :)  Mxx
  • Finch
    Finch Member Posts: 302
    Options
    @Tilly45 that's a brilliant achievement. Women like you inspire me. XXXX 
  • tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    Options
    @Tilly45 ,I'm speechless ! What an inspiration you are ! 
    Good luck to you , keep on walking the walk !! 
    Hugs xx