Why should Breast Cancer Stop Me?

Options
Ultrarunchick
Ultrarunchick Member Posts: 11
edited September 2016 in Health and wellbeing

Despite my Breast Cancer diagnosis and treatment I have been able to continue to run and train for ultra marathon events with a little adjustment of course.  I recently traveled to China and have written an account of my trip on my blog.  Follow the link below.  Thank you.

https://run4fun4ever.wordpress.com/2016/06/24/xi-qiao-shan-international-24-hour-ultra-marathon/

Tagged:

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited June 2016
    Options

Wow! Very inspiring. You were obviously very fit before your diagnosis but well done on such a great attitude and achievement.

It does depend on your treatment (and fitness/general health) but I think keeping active, doing something that GIVES you energy, even though it maybe physically demanding, can be a positive thing. 

The things that take our energy away or just suck it right up are often more emotional based. Like if you feel pressured, angry, frustrated or other negative emotions. Physical activity can actually help you cope better, as long as it is appropriate for your capabilities (pretty sure an ultra marathon would probably kill me!).

Glad that you don't feel that your cancer diagnosis has stopped you doing what you obviously love. 

:) Deanne

• Ultrarunchick
    edited June 2016
    Options

Thanks Deanne,

I have never questioned 'why me?' in regards to my diagnosis.  I have come to realise that I am probably one of the people bettere equipped to manage such a diagnosis.  As a Running Mums Australia ambassador before my diagnosis I sought to be an inspiration in the way I approach my sport.  My Breast Cancer diagnosis has taken this to a whole new level and I hope to prove that it is not necessarily the death sentence we think it is and being in such good health has me better prepared for anything including this.  In ultra running you employ a raft of coping mechanisms and even more so at the level I compete and I have certainly employed these a lot in the past few months.

Thanks again.

Jodie

• socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    edited June 2016
    Options

Ultrarunchick,

First congratulations on your placing 3rd!!!! Talk about a fantastic effort.

I was just watching an episode of Catalyst tonight on the tele that was espousing exercise during Breast Cancer treatment and how very beneficial it is - I think you've certainly proven it!!!

I also think that you are incredibly positive in continuing your training regime and competing at such a high level and I like how you state with a little adjustment - well it may have been with a little adjustment but I am sure that the ultra marathon itself was not adjusted even slightly, which makes your 3rd place even more spectacular!!

Again congratulations for a mammoth achievement.

Take care, Xx Cath

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    edited June 2016
    Options

I have inlaws who are in to the running although I don't think they have ever done the ultra 24 hours ones. One had bc about 14yrs ago and still runs sometimes but more into the age bracket ones as she's older. Her daughter was also a great runner but got a tumor at the base of her skull. Its inoperable but with treatment she is still with us but not too much running now as she has a bit of balance issues sometimes.

Fancy going all the way to China to run? I can barely imagine how wonderful that must have been. You must keep pinching yourself to know its really you and you are really there. Well done.

• Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    edited June 2016
    Options

Congratulations! What an experience and what an achievement. How many Ultra's have you completed?

• Ultrarunchick
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi Anne Marie I think I have completed about 35 ultras I've lost count ??.  I think I've done 25 marathons and numerous shorter events. 

• Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    edited July 2016
    Options

That is just incredible, WOW!