The Ultimate Journey for a Cure

Options
Deanne
Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
edited September 2016 in Health and wellbeing

As promised, some photos (sorry, only these two will post!) from my Nepalese Trek to the Base Camp of Mt Everest. It was both harder than I could ever have imagined and more rewarding than I could ever have imagined. It was so much better than I thought it would be, the scenery, the people and everything else.

I got there, BUT only because I had a lot of help. Help in preparation and training from the leaders of our trek, Sharon and Allan Cohrs. Help from family and friends, my doctors and especially my husband. Help from fellow Trekkers and our Nepalese guides (especially the extra strong Mingma, who carried my pack whenever I struggled) and our porters (who carried 2 x15+kg duffle bags as well as their own packs!).

We were part of a small group of Queenslanders who took part in the trek to raise money for the Cancer Council. The group shot (with our super-hero cancer fighting bears) was taken at our hotel in Kathmandu before we set off for Base Camp. I am sitting  with my legs crossed, hubby behind me.

It took 10 days of walking to get there (slowly because our bodies needed time to adjust to the altitude, 5340m at Base Camp) and 3 big days (7-8 hours walking) to get back down (no altitude issues going down!). We spent the night at Base Camp in one of those small yellow tents you can see in the photo. Minus 12 degrees and ice on the inside of the tent! Most Trekkers just get to spend a short day visit to Base Camp so we were extremely fortunate to go with a company (Everest One) that had negotiated the right to stay overnight.

It was the most amazing experience of my life and I am so glad that I did it. Surviving treatment for bc gave me a new taste for adventure and it taught me that I am tougher than I thought I was. But it also taught me that being part of a team helps you to achieve more than you ever can by yourself.

Sorry I cannot get any other photos to post on my iPad. But for anyone who wants to see more, I have a blog which I will be adding photos to over the next week or so (give me a day or two) in a day by day diary account of our 14 day trek.

https://deanneseverest.wordpress.com

Deanne xxx

Comments

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited May 2016
    Options

Stunning, Deanne.  The view from the yellow tents must take the breath away. It's a different life, and an amazing unforgettable experience.  Hats off to you both. xx Michelle

• Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    edited May 2016
    Options

Deanne this is INCREDIBLE! I watched the movie Everest on my trip home and what a movie, I can only imagine just how amazing it was to stay overnight, WOW! What an adventure. Are you home now?

• Deanne
    edited May 2016
    Options

Yep, home and knee deep in smelly washing! A quick return to reality after the most amazing 3 weeks of my life!

:-)

• Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    edited May 2016
    Options

Nothing like smelly washing :) A trip that will stay in your heart forever xx Welcome home!

• Deanne
    edited May 2016
    Options

The sky and stars at night were amazing. The cracking of the glacier and the nine (we counted them!) small avalanches overnight were a little unsettling!! I was warm in my sleeping bag with Tony on one side and our bags and packs on the other. Not so squeezy!

Rolling up the sleeping bags and packing up the next morning for our 7.30 departure was quite another challenge. :-)

• Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,195
    edited May 2016
    Options

What an amazing trip Deanne and congratulations on achieving this mighty feat. Your focus and determination to do this trip is truly inspirational - well done xx

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    edited May 2016
    Options

Congratulations that is a wonderful achievement 

Sending you a well deserved virtual hug??

• Cook65
    Cook65 Member Posts: 733
    edited May 2016
    Options

Good on you Deanne. What a huge achievement and an amazing experience. So glad it finally all happened for you. Karen xox

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited May 2016
    Options

Truly amazed by what you have achieved.  Imagine staying overnight as well.

wel done

Paula x

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited May 2016
    Options

How incredible Deanne.I love the photo of all the tents!! Congratulations to you and your husband :) Cheers Robyn xox

• Keiley
    Keiley Member Posts: 64
    edited May 2016
    Options

So excited to see your post here this morning! This has always been on my bucket list, but now of course am more determined than ever. 

Thank you for telling us all about it! I'll be dreaming of it now!

• Deanne
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hope you get the opportunity to make your dream a reality too!

This is a photo of myself with Mingma Sherpa with my pack strapped to his own. He carried it for the last 2 hours of trekking into Base Camp. I would never have made it without him!

• Deanne
    edited May 2016
    Options

We have some amazing photos which will help us to keep the memories alive. I am putting up the first few days worth on my blog today. There was no way I had the energy to do this while we were trekking and the Internet wi-fi was a bit unreliable at times too.

It was incredible to be walking along and see porters carrying heavy loads of supplies and talking on their phones at the same time though. There was phone reception all the way if you had a local sim (we didn't get that organised unfortunately).

We learnt a lot along the way and the Nepalese are so lovely. Very proud but generous people. :-)

• Deanne
    edited May 2016
    Options

We struggled with Tony getting sick on the day before we were to get to Base Camp. We stayed behind an extra day with one of the guides and only got one night at base camp. The rest of our group had 2 nights! They also had a tour of the ER at Base Camp which was really interesting, especially for the nurse and OT that were part of our group. :-)

• Deanne
    edited May 2016
    Options

I'm glad that we never gave up. We did come close a few times but I would always have regretted not trying if we had. I think I realise now that life just happens and all we can do is make the best of the opportunities that come our way. xox