Colour Me Fit Health & Wellbeing

Cazz
Cazz Member Posts: 51
edited June 2011 in Health and wellbeing

Hi Everyone - it's been awhile since I last posted but here I am. 2011 has already been a big year for me and I'm happy to say a good year! In a post in December I mentioned starting a new business and it's all happening. As of this month I have a health and fitness studio where I plan to work with women like myself, living with breast cancer, to regain their fitness, strength and wellbeing.

Last year when I was struggling with my recovery and suffering from depression I started going to ChiBall classes. This is gentle exercise program based on Yoga, Tai Chi and Pilates. It helped me so much and I was so passionate about it I did the instructors training in October last year. This put an idea in my head that maybe I could help other women recovering from breast cancer.

Since then I have completed Certificate III & IV in Fitness and a Rehabilitation Trainer course and now I have my business - Colour Me Fit Health & Wellbeing. I'm doing ChiBall classes for the Think Pink Foundation at their "Living Centre" in Melbourne and will also be conducting classes for Breacan in July. It's great!!

I have regained strength in my upper body that I never thought I would after a double mastectomy. I've also beaten the fatigue that was dragging me down so much last year. I still have my days but only once a month now not once a week.

As they say breast cancer is a journey but I'm on another journey now and it feels good.

Caren

Comments

• sillysam83
    sillysam83 Member Posts: 378
    edited March 2015

I am very interested in doing your classes.... where abouts is it? And How much? and When?

Fantastic that you are doing so well, Keep up the great work and I hope you get everything from your new business u were hoping for.... 

I would love to make a career out of something to help people fighting this disease, I think your doing a fantastic thing & I hope you help many.... :) Good Luck

• Cazz
    edited March 2015

Hi, Thank you so much for that and I hope I help many as well. My studio is in Port Melbourne and that's where I run classes and do one on one training with clients. I live in Point Cook in the outer suburbs of Melbourne and I work with people out here as well. I would love you to come along to one of my classes if you are in the area. I have been doing classes at Point Cook but I'm starting classes at the Studio on a Tuesday at 11am. The classes go for an hour and cost $12. If you don't live in my area I might be able to help you find ChiBall classes where you live.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Caren :)

• Cazz
    edited March 2015

Hi, Thank you so much for that and I hope I help many as well. My studio is in Port Melbourne and that's where I run classes and do one on one training with clients. I live in Point Cook in the outer suburbs of Melbourne and I work with people out here as well. I would love you to come along to one of my classes if you are in the area. I have been doing classes at Point Cook but I'm starting classes at the Studio on a Tuesday at 11am. The classes go for an hour and cost $12. If you don't live in my area I might be able to help you find ChiBall classes where you live.

Hope to hear from you soon.

• Debbie J
    Debbie J Member Posts: 322
    edited March 2015

I live in Newcastle, do you know of any classes in my area. Glad you are feeling better. It is a real rollercoaster  ride, thats for shore. Debbie

• Cazz
    edited March 2015

Hi Debbie - unfortunately I can't find any ChiBall classes in your area. But it might be worthwhile looking into Pilates classes. I have done both clinical and mat pilates and have found them both to be very helpful. Tai Chi is also very good. Light strength training also helped me. Let me know how you get on. I hope you find something that is helpful to you.

• Sarah 51
    Sarah 51 Member Posts: 303
    edited March 2015

What a great blog so uplifting that you are getting on so well after all your ups and downs. I wish I lived in your area too. Good luck with your new career it so good to see someone giving back- thanks

Sarah

• MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015

How wonderful that you are doing this!  

I look forward to all of the treatment and surgery being over so that I can get fit again - regain my strength and hopefully my mojo!  I have been trying to get to some clinical pilates classes during my chemo and love going and how have a few exercises to do at home but I long to feel good enough to get out and "really" exercise everyday.  There seems to be a fair bit of evidence that exercising 30mins everyday is an important factor in reducing recurrence so I am all for it.  

I love that you are so passionate about what you are doing and that by it having helped you, you are a true advocate for what you teach!

I'm in Camberwell - is the Think Pink centre in Port Melbourne?  I might be able to get along to the Breacan ones though I don't finish my last chemo until mid-July.

I think once I am through this I am going to need a trainer to get me going again but I feel I need someone who understands what I have been through (not some taught, tight, teeny thing just out of school though ;-)) Maybe you can point me in the right direction for finding the right sort of trainer?

Good Luck with the venture.

Amanda x

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015

You have been busy.  Good on you girl.  I am so looking forward to regaining my fitness once I have regained my strengh.  My last chemo was TODAY.  Yeh, and double Yeh.  Now I will ride the tide through the next month and then I am "hitting the world" .  I am booked to visit Brisbane to see my grandchildren and their mummy and daddy (yes they have moved back to Queensland) then I'm off to Melbourne to go to Raelene's 60th.  I need to glam up after this ordeal I have been through _that's my excuse anyway.   Are you going??  Have you put your name down for the Summit in August???  I am hoping to get there as well if I am lucky to be chosen.  You are so motivated and I am so happy for you.  How"s your lovely man going?  Is he involved in the business?  You will put us all to shame with your trim, taut body.  Good on you - very envious.  Not sure if there is anything like that near me but I will google.  Love to you Caren.  XLeonie

• Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015

You have been busy.  Good on you girl.  I am so looking forward to regaining my fitness once I have regained my strengh.  My last chemo was TODAY.  Yeh, and double Yeh.  Now I will ride the tide through the next month and then I am "hitting the world" .  I am booked to visit Brisbane to see my grandchildren and their mummy and daddy (yes they have moved back to Queensland) then I'm off to Melbourne to go to Raelene's 60th.  I need to glam up after this ordeal I have been through _that's my excuse anyway.   Are you going??  Have you put your name down for the Summit in August???  I am hoping to get there as well if I am lucky to be chosen.  You are so motivated and I am so happy for you.  How"s your lovely man going?  Is he involved in the business?  You will put us all to shame with your trim, taut body.  Good on you - very envious.  Not sure if there is anything like that near me but I will google.  Love to you Caren.  XLeonie

• Cazz
    edited March 2015

Hi Leonie - so glad to hear you are finished your chemo. Now it's time for recovery!!  I am going to Raelene's 60th. What fun!! It will be great to catch up with you and any of the others from our training. I can't go to the Summit unfortunately, Michael and I are finally going on our trip to Europe. We leave on the 18th August. I will turn 50 in Paris. I'm so excited! We're going for 26 days and spending most of the time in Italy. Michael is great he has scaled things down a bit in his business so he is not so stressed and we can take some time out. So all in all things are good.

I hope you can find ChiBall classes up your way. I'm sure you would love it. Have a wonderful time with your family and I look forward to seeing you in Melbourne. Hugs and kisses and best wishes for a speedy recovery. Take good care of yourself. Love Caren xx

• Cazz
    edited March 2015

Hi Amanda - thank you so much for your lovely words of support. Yes I've been reading about the benefits of exercise in recovery as well. There has been a fair bit of research into it in the US. It has certainly helped me and hopefully I can help others.

The Think Pink centre is at 390 St Kilda Road in the City, it's called The Living Centre. The phone number is 98202888. They have a lot of services there that are really helpful. There is a breast care nurse at the centre every day and they also have massage therapists. It has only been open since last year. I hope you can get to it.

It's great that you are doing Pilates. It will really help you. Apart from all the side affects from treatment one of the other things we have to deal with is the problems caused by surgery and inactivity. I found that I had lost so much muscle strength from a year and a half of not being able to do much. I am happy to help you find a trainer when you are ready. I do travel to people so if you want me to help you let me know.

I bet you're looking forward to July and the end of your treatment. I hope it all goes well. Keep in touch.

Best wishes,

Caren xx

• Cazz
    edited March 2015

Hi Sarah - thank you! I hope that eventually there will be a funded program that will help women across Australia.

Keep well. Best wishes,

Caren x

• Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015

Hi Caren,  When I put my name down for the tickets to Raelene's function, I asked to be on a table with other CLO's.  I hope that you are one of them.  Not sure if I said I am taking my big sister with me who lives in Melbourne.  On Friday,  I am going to a hat maker to have a special head piece made to compliment my dress- got to keep the nude head warm.  (will have two options of course - one being a wig)   I am really excited about going somewhere all dressed up and being "normal".  It has been a tough time for the past 6 months.  Now I am nearly day 7 so starting to feel on the upward spile. So looking forward to seeing you.  XLeonie