Building a better bra!

Options
Di_BCNA
Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
edited September 2016 in Community news and events

Bra study

If you missed it earlier, you might be interested to read the post by Kathy Wells about the research being undertaken by the University of Wollongong into developing better exercise bras for women living with breast cancer.

Members of BCNA’s Review & Survey Group contributed to the research.

Review & Survey Group

If you'd like to help researchers solve some of the puzzles around breast cancer by contributing your own experience, you can consider joining our Review & Survey Group.

Tagged:

Comments

• Butterfly
    Butterfly Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There are not many bras on the market, which can be
    called comfortable.Also, some are exhorbitant in price.
    It is high time that we have a choice of comfortable bras
    to wear on any occasion.Women need to be the designers!!!
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Why do we have to wear such heavy, ugly forms in our bras
    after surgery? It is time to design an efficient and different
    bras for us women to wear, to even up those breasts. For
    women without breasts, after BC surgery, there should be a
    range of bras also.
    For too long, we have just accepted what is there, without
    challenging the designers to do something beautiful and
    yet practical.How about it BCNA????
  • Kathy_BCNA
    Kathy_BCNA Staff, Member Posts: 101
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks for your comments Butterfly. You are right – a comfortable bra is so important. The team conducting the research at Uni of Wollongong are all women and as part of their project they may well design a new, more comfortable exercise bra. They will consult with women with breast cancer in designing the bra. BCNA members were also involved last year in the re-design of the Berlei ‘Caring for You’ post-surgery bra which is included in BCNA’s My Care Kit. The bra can now be purchased in stores for $49.95. Call the Berlei Customer Service line on 1800 645 045 and quote the bra code Y130W to find your nearest stockist. Amoena also produce attractive post-surgery bras, but these are often more expensive. Hope this helps you in your search for a better bra.
  • Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Butterfly -- I'm with you, beautiful as well as practical is the go. Personally, I'm all for a bit of lace, how about you? :)
  • Linda Tonta
    Linda Tonta Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think it is also time to redesign those prostheses for women who had to have a mastectomy. It's so time to dish those heavy silicon breasts for something lighter and more comfortable specially during our hot summer.

I must confess that being small breasted, I've already got rid of my heavy silicon breast and use my sport prosthesis which is lighter and much more comfortable to wear.
  • SonjaO
    SonjaO Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi all, I had my mastectomy 4mths ago and have only just got my silicone prosthesis. I also think its going to be a heavy thing to wear in summer.I know nothing about the "sports" prosthesis so can anyone tell me where I can get info on it please? I am also small breasted and my wardrobe is full of "shoe-string" strap type summer clothes. Has anyone found any great ideas for a strapless bra that will hold a prosthesis? Thanks!
  • Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi SonjaO

From what I know, there are the "sports" prothesis and also a swimming prosthesis. They are a lot lighter to wear, but do not have as good of a shape. So if you are not wearing anything clingy or tight the lighter ones are still great, but for a better shape the heavier ones are better. Also, I am bigger chested and I need the heavier one to even me up and help my posture/Back ache.

Can't help with the stapless bra, but I do sew pockets in most of my own togs etc, cause the mastecomy ones are so limited in range.

Did you also know that you can claim a prosthesis trough medicare?

Good luck, I hope you are doing well.

Tanya

• Kathy_BCNA
    Kathy_BCNA Staff, Member Posts: 101
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Sonja
    The Cancer Council should be able to give you a list of retailers who sell prostheses and post surgery bras in your area. You can contact them on 13 11 20. You could also call a breast care nurse or hospital social worker in your area to ask if they know of any stockists.
    Good luck.
  • meggie
    meggie Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Just to let you know I found Post Surgery Bra at Target today!

It has got a pocket and the price is $ 20 only.

Worth to try.

• meggie
    meggie Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Just to let you know I found Post Surgery Bra at Target today!

It has got a pocket and the price is $ 20 only.

Worth to try.