Motivate Me.. !!

Options
LMA
LMA Member Posts: 24
edited April 2015 in Health and wellbeing

Hello Ladies... It's been too long.! In fact to day it's 18nonths since diagnoses.. That was Sept 2013 and last April after 25 radiation sessions I skipped out, bald pretty well and happy. I worked the whole time, ran daily, stretched and felt great! So what's happened? Hmm not sure but I can honestly say it's been a downhill battle ever since. I'm refusing to blame the tamoxifen but it's hard to put a finger on why I have so completely lost the motivation to excercise and put in 6-7 kilos which for a shorty like me is a lot.. I'm joining this group in search of like minded gals who aren't ready to sit still but struggle to get going.. Just posting this made me feel a little more motivated than I've been in a while so thats got to be good!! Thanks for reading.. Chat soon 

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi

Firstly, very well done for staying so active and working during treatment! I did find it very difficult for a while after treatment ended because of the fatigue. I kept exercising but wondered if I would ever feel energetic again. 

I think it helped me to see a physio who specialized in recovery after Cancer treatment. I did an hour of Pilates with her each week and she helped me design an appropriate exercise plan for the rest of my week. She helped me to realise I was doing well and improving when I was struggling because of that fatigue.

I also found it helped to do things I enjoyed as much as possible (exercise wise and other things too). I had to try and get that energy back so I became pretty good at saying no to things or people who drained my energy!

It also helped to keep a record of my exercise so I could feel I was achieving something (I did this in a diary). I then found little goals to keep me going like going in a 10km walk for BC etc.

Exercising with family and friends also helped me to keep motivated. Hope that some of these ideas might be of help. Treatment can have quite a lasting effect (I am on tamoxifen too) but it does keep improving. Good luck with it. Take care. Deanne xxx

• Rosanna
    Rosanna Member Posts: 284
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi

Great job (like me) completed a series of treatment and now with tamoxifen.

Yeah... it's true the tamoxifen really made me struggle since I had it Oct.  I changed the brand and with anti-hot flush method, and now it seems settled a bit and under control (maybe now starting cold in weather).  The tablet really drive my mood.  It makes me up and down even a tiny small issue.  No mood to move, no mood to meet friend, and even no mood to eat sometimes.

I do force myself to exercise, because not simply avoid put on weight, when exercising, the movement of body and breathe outside from the area, it did help to the mood and thoughts.  I usually no need to have companion, maybe you try to find someone walk together or join council yoga class.  It might increase your intention of doing it.  I have to stick with the tablets for 5 years, I wonder you maybe the same.  Let's work together and help ourselves to sort it out.

Take care

Rosanna

• lisboy
    lisboy Member Posts: 91
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi
    I find putting on my exercise gear automatically helps motivate me to do it. I am in the middle of treatment and there are times I feel really tired and lethargic but if I put the gear on I tend to do the exercise! You sound like you did a fantastic job exercising while in treatment so I am sure you will find the motivation again- planning the exercise and putting it in the calendar also helps me. All the best Lisa x
  • Geng
    Geng Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi Everyone,

this is my first post. I felt I needed to reply to LMA. Keep trying, exercise does work but, if you are like me it takes longer than I ever thought.

Its now just 2 years since I finished my surgery/chemo RT treatment. Like others I worked right thru, exercised, then started Arimidex in June 2013 (similar to Tamoxifen but used when patient is post menopausal) but about then I started to go backwards. By December I had to stop working due to pain and fatigue. My oncologist diagnosed significant neuropathy from the chemo. I havent worked since.

I got myself an exercise physiologist and a psychologist, we've been working together ever since. I spent about a year doing strengthening exercises and stretches (due to my muscles tightening up all over) and trying to go for a walk every day. By December 2014 I could keep up with this program. I'm now much stronger and have started running twice a week along with the daily stretches and strength training.

I'm sure my EP and the work I've done has saved me from total misery as I didn't know where to turn when this happened! After I stopped work my days had no structure or purpose but I found the exercise routine got me up and moving and the stretches gave me pain relief. I felt some sense of achievement getting thru the program each day and I think this was really important to help me adjust to what had happened.

Now, mostly my pain is controlled and I manage fatigue, so long as I pace myself to my capacity and keep to a routine. I'm taking other medications for nerve pain and all say weight gain is common. I have been lucky as my weight has remained steady. I can honestly say its all getting better. 

Still not working, but have a goal to be able to run 5 km by December this year. 

• LMA
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks so much Deanne.. It's all great advice.. Maybe I'll look for a physio!!
  • LMA
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks Rosanna, yes dr says maybe 10 years in the tablets. Let's stay in touch.. I need to start excercising again. Good luck to you too
  • LMA
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Wow thanks so much for your reply. I know I should be happy with where I'm at but physically I only started to go backwards well after my treatment finished and I guess I didn't really expect that.. Not to worry.. You gals make me sure I can turn it around.. !! Thanks so much for your encouragement.
  • LMA
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Good luck with your treatment. Yep sometimes you just have to put the gear on and get going.. I know it's as easy as that but for some reason my brain just doesn't do it any more.. Ahhhhh!!! I know I'm going to make this happen some how. Thanks for replying ..
  • Loucobamd
    Loucobamd Member Posts: 51
    edited April 2015
    Options

Wow your amazing keeping up with all that exercise while going through treatment, well done. You will get there again just think of this as a temporary thing, it won't stay like this you have had a very difficult 18months and you just needed a break. Those kilos will come off again when you get back on track. I also felt the loss of my old exercise life after being diagnosed and have put on 5 kilos. I was lucky I didn't need any other treatment after my mastectomy. While I was on the list for my reconstruction I went to a personal trainer at the gym who was trained in rehab to help get me motivated again. I wouldn't say I excelled but I kept moving. I recorded every activity I did whether it was walking or gym and this kept me honest! I find setting a long term goal useful and making little goals to help me get there. I'm 3 weeks post bilateral lat dorsi reconstruction and I have walked nearly every day, every day I say to myself, there is nothing wrong with your legs so get moving.

you can do it!

louise

• LMA
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi Louise .. That's classic.. "there's nothing wrong with my legs".... (Ok I'm ignoring the hip, knee joint pain...lol) so I'll remember that next week and repeat ...there's nothing wrong with my legs ..I hit the gym twice last week and feel better so I'm going to try and do more this week.. Thanks for your encouragement.. It's great to hear I'm not the only one who felt like that.. Really helps..